50BMG baffle design

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Zero99z
Silent Operator

50BMG baffle design

Post by Zero99z »

https://images.app.goo.gl/We3rUEC5XhHVfUXr9

Seening as how I don't have a lathe (yet) this is the baffle design I'm considering. I'll most likely use 304 ss discs with progressively larger tube steel welded on it to make the taper unless someone has a better idea. I'm also considering inconel for the blast baffle (cheap on eBay) depending on weldability with chromoly. I'll be drawing up a print later this week of my can design for critique and pointers.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Re: 50BMG baffle design

Post by #40Fan »

If I had the money to spare to dump enough into 17-4, I'd be making quite a few 60° cones for my BMG can. The waste of material needed to make them is just too much for me to justify. I'll likely end up with two, possibly three cones and then flat "coned" washers to fill up the rest of the tube. 3" x 19" tube, direct thread with 3-4 dividers up close to the muzzle to act as a brake.
Zero99z
Silent Operator

Re: 50BMG baffle design

Post by Zero99z »

#40Fan wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:13 pm If I had the money to spare to dump enough into 17-4, I'd be making quite a few 60° cones for my BMG can. The waste of material needed to make them is just too much for me to justify. I'll likely end up with two, possibly three cones and then flat "coned" washers to fill up the rest of the tube. 3" x 19" tube, direct thread with 3-4 dividers up close to the muzzle to act as a brake.
I'd very much like to make k baffles or a monocore, but it's too expensive to pay a machinist or 3D printer to make them, especially without the cad files. I'm a welder, so why not weld them together? I was also thinking of doing some kind of paeudo brake, but it'll be a little complicated since it's going to be a reflex can.