Muzzle Brake Or Not

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1hank1

Muzzle Brake Or Not

Post by 1hank1 »

What's the benefit of utilizing a muzzle brake in conjunction with a silencer?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Muzzle Brake Or Not

Post by a_canadian »

The benefit will vary depending upon the calibre and the pressures involved. The primary benefit as I understand it is largely that a brake is essentially expendable, not an NFA component and therefore disposable when worn out. By using the right sort of brake as the primary blast baffle in effect, it receives the lion's share of heat and abrasion from high velocity particles. Your actual suppressor baffles thereby suffer reduced pressure and direct wear. Something like a 2 or 3 'baffle' brake will also redirect a lot of pressure sideways into the strengthened blast chamber tube walls, perhaps more effectively than an actual suppressor baffle due to the small bore, which is made possible thanks to close proximity to the muzzle. Further down the baffle stack you'll want a larger baffle bore.
1hank1

Re: Muzzle Brake Or Not

Post by 1hank1 »

Makes sense to me. However, I do have a question.

When my Form 1 is approved I want to make my silencer for a .224 Valkyrie. Predator hunting almost exclusively. But if I get what you're saying, the first baffle in my silencer should be bored to something like 60-thousants over .224, then progressively increase the bore size. Should the bore ever decrease in diameter, like at the end cap?

Also, at the risk of brain-raping you, if utilizing a muzzle brake, and if that muzzle brake extends to within a bullets length of the first baffle, what would be the rule-of-thumb for the I.D. of the blast chamber to ensure enough volume, yet keeping the FRP at a minimum?