50 BMG QD mount

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Zero99z
Silent Operator

50 BMG QD mount

Post by Zero99z »

So, I haven't figured out how to upload photos yet, but I'll post them when I do. This is my first update thread! I'm currently designing a 50 BMG can for my rifle and I've settled on a Sionics MAC style can, or possibly extending the larger OD tube over the baffle stack to make it a flow through can. I'll decide on a definite design once I have my tax stamp and serial in hand (still waiting on silencershop.com to figure out the form 1 thing). Anyway, I figured getting started on the mount would be OK. Rather than design the whole mount and brake, I'm making a mount that basically piggybacks on the brake I already have. I'm not welding it on because my brake is made from low weldable type of steel. The "piggyback mount" is an acme threaded bevel seat type connector made from a machined stainless pipe reducer and corresponding components. I'll be finishing up what I can do today, but alignment will have to wait for now. Since I don't have much for machining, all parts at cut and welded, making proper alignment that much more important. And yes, this is pretty much gonna be a scrap metal can made from repurposed and salvaged parts. It's both economical and Earth friendly.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: 50 BMG QD mount

Post by whiterussian1974 »

we need a wiki on how to post photos.
upload to imgur.com https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imgur
then post the link within the [img /img] brackets.

Also, you mention that this will be a "scrap metal" can.
The outer tube determines whether it can handle the pressure, is concentric, properly oriented with the bore, etc.
You can pour scrap inside of your tube, but the tube itself had better be the best that you can afford. To reduce weight, you might want to go with Ti. Then use SS for the internals. Otherwise you will just have a $200 stamp and a split tube... :(
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Zero99z
Silent Operator

Post by Zero99z »

whiterussian1974 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:51 pm we need a wiki on how to post photos.
upload to imgur.com https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imgur
then post the link within the [img /img] brackets.

Also, you mention that this will be a "scrap metal" can.
The outer tube determines whether it can handle the pressure, is concentric, properly oriented with the bore, etc.
You can pour scrap inside of your tube, but the tube itself had better be the best that you can afford. To reduce weight, you might want to go with Ti. Then use SS for the internals. Otherwise you will just have a $200 stamp and a split tube... :(
Thanks! I use the term "scrap metal" loosely. I plan on using chromoly for the tube with a 17-4 liner in the expansion chamber to protect against erosion. The rest of the internals will be ss.

These were before I did any welding just so I could get an idea.
https://i.imgur.com/ufU0r3N.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7GYgCHO.jpg

It wouldn't let me upload the images
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Looks good so far.

I tried to "show" your photo, but it won't accept larger than 1600pixels height.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Zero99z
Silent Operator

Post by Zero99z »

whiterussian1974 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:23 pm Looks good so far.

I tried to "show" your photo, but it won't accept larger than 1600pixels height.
Guess it'll have to be links then.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

imgbb.com works better for me. Select BBCode Full Linked after uploading.

Zero99z
Silent Operator

Post by Zero99z »

#40Fan wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:45 pm imgbb.com works better for me. Select BBCode Full Linked after uploading.
Sweet! Thanks! I'll use that for more pictures!
Zero99z
Silent Operator

Post by Zero99z »

Finished welding and fitting the "core" of the mount.
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

how does your mount maintain alignment?
Zero99z
Silent Operator

Post by Zero99z »

3strucking wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:44 am how does your mount maintain alignment?
I won't know for sure until I get the rest of the can built, but it sits pretty solid. No wobble or rotation so far.
Zero99z
Silent Operator

Post by Zero99z »

I thought that looked familiar, that's for the Barrett QDL. I very much want one, but they don't thread it for my rifle.