Eccentric when wet?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Eccentric when wet?

Post by Capt. Link. »

Been a member here for a number of years and have never seen a eccentric built and I'm the only member that has ever made a purpose built wet can that's been posted.Don't understand why as we often use unbalanced flow to increase performance and the use of ablatives is well known.I've also heard a bunch of nonsense on ablative cooled rifle suppressors.This wet can designed to be small & effective on a M-16 and still performs today.

Not all designs will benefit greatly from using a coolant but the ones that are purpose built are always smaller than a dry counterpart.
Have you ever thought about the advantages of using either or both of these into your next build.A large volume mini pistol suppressor would be a natural.Most modern baffles would exhibit enhanced performance lending itself well to a short fat build.
Just food for thought and discussion.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Eccentric when wet?

Post by Historian »

Good Captain.

I am intrigued by the grooved metal cylinder
in lower left of photo. How did you grove
it internally as well as outside?

All pretty, masterful, exemplary work.

Best.
JensonStorm

Post by JensonStorm »

What is commonly used as a wetting agent?
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

Water is cheap, but there are lots of ablative fluids. Wire pulling gel is common, and sometimes is repackaged as special super-secret silencer juice. Lithium grease is popular since it won't drip out the muzzle when its holstered, but you end up wearing quite a bit of it when shooting, and its very messy. Water is the standard by which all ablatives are compared, since it has a specific heat of 1.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Sorry for late replies, pinched nerve in shoulder is making life miserable...

Historian: the cylindrical blast chamber spacer is used to hold lithium grease. If you look carefully it features a deep cut square thread inside and out. This can is heavy ,full auto proof (including belt fed) and fairly quiet. The customer who ordered this wanted a accurate bomb proof design that was quiet and flash-less.Its made just for high velocity 5.56 rounds with coolant.The vapor mixing is superb using these baffles with the rewards of quiet performance in a small package for its day.

JensonStorm: welcome to the group.
Ablatives range from chemical brews to plain water or urine! I like a combination of lemon oil,lanolin,paraffin and borax.
Wire pulling Gel is very common.Lithium grease,shaving gel,sun burn gel or hand sanitizer.

alordnapa hinted at you end up wearing and smelling like the ablative used. For ultimate urban stealth mix in whatever herbs are locally used.This would work very well in California.

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
ninoslavt

Post by ninoslavt »

Capt. Link. wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:49 pm I like a combination of lemon oil,lanolin,paraffin and borax.
Can you share the recipe?
Born to be wild!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Can you share the recipe?
I mix this in small batches and use more paraffin to adjust stiffness and melting temp.

Six tablespoon lanolin
One tablespoon lemon oil
One tablespoon borax
One tablespoon paraffin

Using a double boiler mix the lemon oil and borax into a warm solution ,add lanolin then paraffin flakes until melted. Let mixture cool.
I like this over petroleum based grease because it dose not smoke as much and smells better. You can use orange oil for a stronger masking scent.Lard and Crisco can substitute for lanolin.
You can pour a warm solution into a pistol can then roll it until cooled. Great if you need to carry the suppressor charged.
ninoslavt

Post by ninoslavt »

Thanks! Sounds good, and I'm sure it smells much better that some other things. :D
Born to be wild!