Back at it, new .223

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Back at it, new .223

Post by CMV »

Hi all, been a while! :) Doing another .223 can & would like some input.

Plan is 1.625" OD, 0.065" wall, 1.495" ID 316 seamless tube, 7" OAL.
60° cones of 416, 0.060" thick
Spacers 304 welded tube, 1.500" OD, 0.065" wall turned down to 1.490" OD leaving 0.060" wall
Direct thread 1/2-28
0.281" bore (9/32 drill)
Spacing - & this is where I'm pretty unsure - 1.375" for 1st baffle which puts the mouth of the cone about 1/8" from endcap/muzzle. 0.625" spacers from there so with cone thickness just slightly over 5/8" spacing. That's room for 8 cones, spacing adjusted for last one down to maybe 0.500"ish - depends on end cap style I do & how long that has to be and stay right at 7" OAL.

So there's that - what needs adjusted?

Next up, I still haven't the skill nor equipment to weld anything. Everything up until now (5 form-1 complete) have been thread together. I don't want to waste the space or have the failure point threading both caps & see no need to disassemble a .223 can ever. What would happen if I just blind pinned the tube & endcaps with say 3/8" long 5/64" roll pins. 4 per cap, 90° apart? In my mind that works, but wonder if those holes in the tube would eventually "waller out" leading to loose caps?

Lastly, I haven't done anything since 41F. I do have a .45 cal stamp still sitting unused, but that would be a stretch with a .281 bore :) . Anyway, what's different now post 41P, what are wait times like, e-file still the thing to do?
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Back at it, new .223

Post by Capt. Link. »

Hi Chris been a long time.
From what I've seen with these clipped baffles more are needed with close spacing and tight spacing towards muzzle end.You might think about base porting of cones to allow flow and equalization across this large volume suppressor. I would also suggest the boring of all bullet passages to keep it concentric as possible.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Interesting. More & closer than 5/8? Like 10 @ 1/2"?

Pat, hope you're doing well! I think I still have a tool I need to return to you....a couple years late :shock:
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Chris I would try .500-375-250 though comment is welcome.I think you could make the latter baffles fairly thin.You could also step the tube to thin it as .065 is beefy.Heat treat the 416 to a red color to lessen rust or switch to 17-4 900 and machine in the hardened state.I may have a stick of 316 you can chew on plus a few other alloys that will hold up.If you wish to go wild give me a call and we can dream up something exotic.
-CL

PS: I think you sent the tool back....but there was no need to as I have several.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895