Building Fat Rimfire can, need Baffle suggestions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

plumber576
Silent Operator

Building Fat Rimfire can, need Baffle suggestions

Post by plumber576 »

I purchased a 5" QuellTech titanium D-cell tube and endcap. It has Omega threads for the mount. It has a spacer built in.

https://www.quelltech.shop/online-store ... p194701144

My plan is to build a short and fat rimfire can, like a Turbo-K for .22lr. It'll end up on a .22 AR that I plan on SBR'ing. I have a Plan-B and ASR mounts sitting around so it'll end up with one of those.

This is my first Form 1 can and I have no idea what to do for baffles and could use some guidance. I'll need cups that fit a D-cell tube. I'm guessing I'll need a jig to drill holes and probably to clip the baffles. Any recommendations on these?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
plumber576
Silent Operator

Re: Building Fat Rimfire can, need Baffle suggestions

Post by plumber576 »

Nobody? Is there a better place to ask?

I'm looking at radial cups. Can I run all Ti or should I have steel for the first cup?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I would close fill the can with baffles and use a very short blast chamber. 17-4Ph900 or other hard Stainless Steel is a blast baffle option.
Almost any baffle can do well in .22RF if enough are used and design good.
Best CL
Last edited by Capt. Link. on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
plumber576
Silent Operator

Post by plumber576 »

Capt. Link. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:03 pm I would fill the can with baffles and use a very short blast chamber. Hard to make a mistake on baffle choice with rimfire. You can use Ti for the blast baffle but I would use 17-4 Ph900 or other hard SS. Rimfire suppressor blast baffles suffer more from erosion from the priming compound so a hard material will help.
Best CL
Thanks. I'm thinking this confirms Stainless blast and the rest Ti.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

plumber576 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm
Capt. Link. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:03 pm I would fill the can with baffles and use a very short blast chamber. Hard to make a mistake on baffle choice with rimfire. You can use Ti for the blast baffle but I would use 17-4 Ph900 or other hard SS. Rimfire suppressor blast baffles suffer more from erosion from the priming compound so a hard material will help.
Best CL
Thanks. I'm thinking this confirms Stainless blast and the rest Ti.
On less than a FA .22 the Ti will probably be just fine.You really should find a machinist to help with this project.Precision of machining will gain you db's in this Short Non-Fat suppressor.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895