Volume vs performance

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Ridge Runner

Volume vs performance

Post by Ridge Runner »

Does anyone know if there's compiled data regarding Volume vs suppression performance?

I've been contemplating on larger volume can and still have some inclination to head that direction. However, the engineering thought process I keep returning to is that I would need to double the volume of a can to accomplish a 3 decibel noise reduction. That sounds like a very reasonable trade-off when I have a can that is only is 3 to 5 cubic inches volume. It might even be worth doing it twice or three times. There has to be a point we're doubling the volume simply isn't worth it. Seems most commercial cans run between four and 10 or 12 cubic inches.

Does anyone have a link to good published information or should I be inclined to believe my engineering reasoning?
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Volume vs performance

Post by John A. »

Sound suppression is far more than simply the internal volume of the can. That is only 1 part of it.

Off the top of my head, the Delisle and Sionics mac cans are both large diameter and sound good. But there is a lot more involved than just how big the cans are.
I don't care what your chart says
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I have several giganitc cans. While there is a point of diminishing returns with silencers regarding size there is a still a return. My big cans are quieter than my small cans. If a design works good short and you use the same baffles in it and make it longer it will work even better long . Theres science for you.

I never have figured out why smaller would be perceived to be better for silencers.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Ridge Runner

Post by Ridge Runner »

Smaller can be better if absolute suppression effect is not your only priority. I personally find even the sound of a .22LR undesirable in any situation I find myself in. If I am just out walking in the woods and plinking I want the suppressor to be unobtrusive and knock the sound down to hearing safe levels as well as quiet enough to avoid disturbing the neighbors. a 1"x4" can might be desirable. If I am hunting pigs or coyotes or squirrels I might want the suppressor to reduce the blast signature below the sound of operating a bolt gently That might require a huge suppressor. My own preference is to have one suppressor that is convenient and one that is efficient for my primary platforms.
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

I used to run an AWC MKII on an MP 5, it was so quiet at first I had to double check to find out if the gun worked at all. That can was 2"x12" , and it had shaped fender washers inside, and coaxial tubes. I wish I still had it. Yes size matter as it gives volume.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Quietest can Ive ever heard. Who cares how big it is?

Putting the laughter in manslaughter