Hi Standard

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Hi Standard

Post by YugoRPK »

Neat guns and cheap. Hi Standard G380 with 1 1/8" OD 4340 tube and 15 qty XRT baffles cut to 10.5 mm and double clipped. The G 380 was Hi Standards late war contract for the OSS to replace the HDM with something a little more powerful . It was designated the P380 and Hi Standard delivered ONE silenced prototype before the war ended and the contract was cancelled. HS went on to sell the gun to get the receivers out the door sans silencer as the G380 and it completely flopped. No market for a 6 shot 380 Auto in 1947. His Standards only centerfire handgun and their only exposed hammer take down model.

I picked this one up for $400 and promptly deflowered it. Cut the barrel back to 3" and threaded it and machined the barrel stub round to the back section.

Next to my HDM/S clone

Putting the laughter in manslaughter
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hi Standard

Post by alordnapa »

No views of the internals? :(
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I guess I'll get some pics when I get home

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

I admire your work, Sir!
And your obvious skill for safely disassembling the HD.

It was a bit trying for my simple 'Southern Boy' patience and tolerance
for OCD cleaning after each shoot when I had one ... though admittedly
its accuracy was was on par with my S&W 41.

Again, well done.

Wild Bill Donovan* is looking down from heaven
with a big smile.

Thank you for brightening up our day.

Best

* << https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Donovan >>
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ive owned HDM's for a long time. I could disassemble and reassemble one blindfolded.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Nice rendition of a WW2 artifact. My questions are all about the suppressor. How long was the original barrel and the details of the porting. What are the dimensions of the original suppressor tube and how was it packed.

The High Standard shows us how far we have come in pistol design.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

No idea on what they did with the original HS can although I'd assume its the same configuration Hi Standard did on the 45 ACP silencers they built for the grease guns which was just a scaled up HDMS setup. Ported barrel in the first stage wrapped with bronze screen with screen washers in the second stage. I built one of the HDMS style screen cans a long time ago and it worked really well but by 100 rounds it was starting to sound shot out and by 200 or so it was really shot out.

Ive only seen one picture of the original HS P380 in Charles Pates Secondary Handguns of WW2 book and to be honest I think that photo may be misattributed and may be a prototype .22LR gun that never materialized.

Other prototypes were done in .25 Caliber and .32 ACP. The only detachable barrel external hammer gun that made into production being the G380 which was essentially a scaled up Colt Woodsman since that is what the original Hi Standard/Hartford gun was a reverse engineered copy of. His Standard lost their asses on that gun . Took 7-8 years to sell off the 7000 G380's they built and they were deeply discounted and sold for around $20 by the end of the run..

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Thank you for the post. I love all things suppressed particularly classic historical items. I have had the pleasure of shooting a original HDMS with new as issued packing.The packing material used is *bronze cloth.While I have never shot one of these to failure I've heard the bronze will clog with carbon but dose not "fail" like other materials. I would imagine a sonic cleaning would allow the material to be re-used.
Often people look down on these "thermal" packed suppressors for no good reason.The HDMS is rated at 24 db, no Amphibian in suppression but still quiet enough for personal diplomacy.

So many F1 builders miss out on effective older technology.

* I believe this cloth to be welded.

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

The bronze does burn up in the fist stage. The washers are a real bitch to make since there is
nothing like it in the commercial market. I would have built this one that way if there were. They do work well.
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

I would venture to say that for any given suppressor volume, a wet, wiped , copper/bronze/silver screened device will be significantly quieter than a "conventional" can. Admittedly, these need frequent repacking, but the OSS probably did not have to shoot a heck of a lot of people.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

alordnapa wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:13 pm I would venture to say that for any given suppressor volume, a wet, wiped , copper/bronze/silver screened device will be significantly quieter than a "conventional" can. Admittedly, these need frequent repacking, but the OSS probably did not have to shoot a heck of a lot of people.
For a given volume modern baffles will meter better than any one of these old tech suppressors.
Combining tech may result in something more quiet, but like a tootsie pop the world may never know!!!
A mini can would be a obvious choice as ablatives & wipes are size reducing technology.Who's up for a build?
YugoRPK wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:59 pm The bronze does burn up in the fist stage. The washers are a real bitch to make since there is
nothing like it in the commercial market. I would have built this one that way if there were. They do work well.

Are you sure the product you have is bronze. I can find brass screen but have not seen bronze sold for decades.
If you wish to pursue building washers from screen I know how to produce then in quantity.
-CL
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Commercial 90-10 Bronze screen is readily available from several makers and several sellers. OK. Commercial Bronze is technically brass.
ninoslavt

Post by ninoslavt »

The main problem is that every single piece of screen has to be treated with tin (Sn) to stop unraveling and prevent accuracy problems because holes were very tight, just 5.8 mm. Mesh roll was also tin plated.
Original barrel is 115 mm long and it's the same length on the suppressed H-D M/S, just thinner, like 10 mm. First suppressors had 32 holes (8 holes x 4 parallel rows) but it was changed, so new ones had 44 holes (11x4). Each hole diameter is 3.2 mm.
Also, there's a brass piece on the end of the barrel that separates mesh roll and mesh screens.
First few rounds are the quietest but soon mesh would start fouling and suppression is reduced. For OSS operatives it was normal to clean it after 15-20 rounds. After 200-250, mesh would be replaced with new one.
Generally, noise reduction is about 20-22 dBs.
Born to be wild!
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

Capt. Link. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 pm
alordnapa wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:13 pm I would venture to say that for any given suppressor volume, a wet, wiped , copper/bronze/silver screened device will be significantly quieter than a "conventional" can. Admittedly, these need frequent repacking, but the OSS probably did not have to shoot a heck of a lot of people.
For a given volume modern baffles will meter better than any one of these old tech suppressors.
Combining tech may result in something more quiet, but like a tootsie pop the world may never know!!!
A mini can would be a obvious choice as ablatives & wipes are size reducing technology.Who's up for a build?

Blasphemy! I could take any stack of modern baffles out of a can, and replace the guts with stacked screen washers and rubber wipes plus ablatives and make that can quieter than the dry stack of baffles. At least for a couple of shots. (Note: This is not an offer to modify anyone's suppressor or commit any of hundreds of possible accidental felonies. Offer not available in the United States of America. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Not available in Kern and Inyo Counties. Employees and relatives of employees of ATF are not eligible to play. Not for internal use. May cause rectal bleeding. Known to the State of California to cause cancer. )

BTW, I use copper screen in my electronics business that comes from a company that sells it to block rodents holes. I guess rats don't find copper tasty ( Neither do I) They also sell pure copper "ChoreBoy" type materials for stopping up rodent holes. I would not think that Bronze screen would be an improvement over copper.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I would venture to say that for any given suppressor volume, a wet, wiped , copper/bronze/silver screened device will be significantly quieter than a "conventional" can.
Blasphemy!
Hi HI

I've seen tested a integral pistol that metered 46db using only dry baffles in a gov lab. The HDMS reportedly will do 24db lets say that adding a ablative increased that figure a full 15 db bringing us to 39db. Making room for baffles you still are 7 db short. That sounds plausible until you bring in the fact that old school suppressors used rubber wipes,metal screen and metal baffles yet fell far short of mid 30db losses while being much larger.

PS: The pistol in question used only 3 asymmetric baffles in a 1x8 tube.....same as the HDMS.

Do I think that you can produce a suppressor that can top 46 db for a few shots.....yes I believe it can be done with research. But no one in the business is willing to invest the time or money.
-CL
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

Well, I can hardly dispute the findings of secret government labs....