Useful Small Lath Tool

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Useful Small Lath Tool

Post by Historian »

Here is a well done tutorial from a talented Hellene machinist for making a tool_post-drilling-Jig .

Could be useful for making end-cap disassembly removing tools, marking and drilling start
holes for mono-cores, and countless of other projects.

A particularly useful and transferrable demonstration on how to put reamer in
chuck for making bronze bearings.

<< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdgy7k4 ... e=emb_logo >>

Learning never stops.

Ζήτω
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Useful Small Lath Tool

Post by YugoRPK »

I think it would be a lot simpler just to buy a boring bar holder and make a bushing for it.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

I tried using a Boring bar adapter on my mini-lathe for this purpose, and it works. Kind of. If you actually want to hang a drill, a reasonably long shaft and chuck, a longer and more robust would probably be better. The poor little QC mount is not made to carry a large off-axis weight like a power drill, and with the play ( slop) in the Mini-lathe carriage, it would rock the mount backwards. Its probably sturdy enough to hand a Dremel tool or the nearest metric equivalent. Perhaps people who don't have real lathe ( instead of a CHICOM mini-lathe) could use heavier duty boring bar mount to build such a mount, but I really admire the machinist who just goes ahead and builds it his way from scratch.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I find the lantern type of tool-holder to be best for boring.This is the best of lantern types, a Armstrong. A easy project that can be sized for any lathe or any bar size.

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895