Form 1 30cal planning stages

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

darkfader

Form 1 30cal planning stages

Post by darkfader »

Hi guys, new member here. I've been researching and reading as much as I can so that I don't throw money away trying to complete a can. My Form1 is submitted and I'm doing the waiting game for now. My head is spinning a bit reading all the .300BLK build threads but I think I'm starting to get a feel for what is needed, however, I'm unsure of a few things. My original plan was to purchase a solvent trap, drill some storage dividers, thread it onto my barrel and be awesome. Glad I found this site so I can do it right and obviously that plan has been filed in the appropriate waste basket.

I was wanting to have one can that I could attach to an AR platform 300BLK with an 8.5" barrel, and also use it on an AERO M5 .308 with 18" barrel, as well as a Remington 700 SD AAC with 20" barrel. Maybe even throw the can on any one of my other AR's, all chambered in 5.56.

I am realizing that may not be possible or efficient and maybe the can should be dedicated to one rifle. Or the can may work ok on all but not stellar. So with that said, I'd want the best 300BLK build I can make for an 8.5" barrel possible. I'd use subs for the best sound suppression, however I still have a pretty good stock of supers, all of the empty brass will eventually be reloaded as subs, if we can ever get components again. For this first build I'm limited to an 8" can, simply because that's what I filed on the form1 before doing enough research.

My latest plan includes using materials ordered from Super Precision Concepts as they have quite a few positive reviews on quality and workmanship on the forums I frequent. Looking at their 7.5" x 1.5"OD x 1.375ID 24tpi tube and end cap. I THINK I want to do the Griffin Armament taper mount tactical compensator. It looks as though it should perform similarly to the Q cherry bomb and the corresponding SPC mount for the Griffin taper. If this can can be used on multiple rifles, I'd purchase additional muzzle devices for those rifles. Storage dividers would be SPC 60* Pro, in SS for the first two and the rest in Ti. It appears these should be opened up to .370 and the DHC is the favorite clip. I have no mill or lathe, but I do have a pretty nice drill press with an XY table, as well as files and a Dremel and several sets of digital calipers. Enough to do some damage anyway.

I'm a little unclear on spacer material. SPC only offers Ti. Is that sufficient for the blast chamber? Should I source some stainless tube for spacers?

My main questions are this:

Spacer tube material? SS or Ti?
I"ve seen mention of having the muzzle device approx 1/4" from nose of the first blast baffle. Is this appropriate for this? If so, am I still aiming for a blast chamber of 1.5 - 1.75"? Would this be safe to try on the M5 or Remington .308 rifles?

I borrowed a couple pics from google and other threads on here. Is there any reason I can't achieve decent results with this design:

should I use a brake with larger ports as illustrated in that pic, or is multiple smaller ports better/worse?
I'm still searching for specs on spacer sizes/storage divider intervals, so I'm unsure of dimensions on that.

I'd greatly appreciate any input the more experienced folks can lend, or if you see something totally wrong, please advise I look forward to the process. Thanks!
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 1 30cal planning stages

Post by #40Fan »

SPC doesn't make a 60° Pro cone. It is either 60° or a Pro. Skip the DHC on the 60° and it isn't even possible on the Pro. Not enough meat on the tip of the cone.

Much better cones that would work for both cartridges, but you'd have to put up with some first round pop with the BLK if you built an all in one.

Ti has been used as a BC and spacer material for a long time. Some cones have a built in spacer/skirt.

Use a brake.
darkfader

Re: Form 1 30cal planning stages

Post by darkfader »

Ah I see now that the Pro is not a 60. That was my error. With so many options I just want to build the best system that I can. Starting to think I should’ve form 4’d something but that long wait is a deterrent. You said there are better cones available for this, can you recommend a vendor? I’ve looked at SDTA, SPC, diversified seems to have incredibly long waits as well as no comms, as well as others.

As far as skirted cones, I was under the impression that just stacking cones with identical spacing wouldn’t be the most efficient end result. Am I incorrect in that thinking? Again, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.