Clipping gap size??

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

lb2910

Clipping gap size??

Post by lb2910 »

Hello all... I'm a newbie to this forum from the east coast and have a question regarding clipping gap dimensions for certain calibers...

I have several suppressors, both form 1 and form 4. I've converted an MST with threaded baffles into a suppressor for a 9mm. This will be the first one I've decided to clip. My question is, for a 9mm, is there a best practice when it comes to the actual clip dimensions (W and D) for a 9mm hole? If so, what would they be?

I will be using a modified drill press with end mills to perform the clipping. The modification allows me to do very light-weight and simple milling. I have an XY cross vice to help with accuracy of the clipping as well. The clip I plan on doing is symmetrical (a clip on both sides of the baffle).

Lastly a bonus question.. HAHA... Since the clips will not be lined up due to the threaded baffles, would you bother clipping? I'm more concerned about POI shift to be honest, but I do want to get the most out of my Form 1 w/o losing accuracy. I've shot this particular suppressor for over a year and it's spot on and fairly quiet. Just looking to improve its performance and thought this would be perfect forum to ask for ideas. Thanks to anyone that gives me some guidance... stay safe and healthy!!!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Clipping gap size??

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I have heard 40% bore width, 100% bore depth.
So for 9mm @ .375" (3/8") that means 3/8" deep and .15" wide.
But I'm not very experienced with this. I'm just passing what others have posted.
Hopefully, a machinist or frequent poster can critique my suggestion.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
lb2910

Post by lb2910 »

Thanks for the dimensions.. I've heard more or less the same but I'm a novice at this and would love more opinions as well.. I'm also wondering if I should even bother clipping the baffles considering they will not line up due to the threaded mounting of each baffle. Any opinions on this?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Lining up doesn't matter. Since you are dual clipping, there is no asymmetry. So the turbulence that it creates won't cause yaw, yet is very disruptive to the gas flow.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

If I'm understanding correctly what you mean by the baffles threading together... Would it not make sense to just run a line up one side with a Sharpie? Then when dismantled you can mark each baffle's clipping location(s) and mill those, and when screwed back together whatever orientation you've cut will be lined up according to that assembled orientation line. That way you can alternate by 90° between baffles, for instance, or have them all the same, whichever you prefer.
lb2910

Post by lb2910 »

a_canadian wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:37 pm If I'm understanding correctly what you mean by the baffles threading together... Would it not make sense to just run a line up one side with a Sharpie? Then when dismantled you can mark each baffle's clipping location(s) and mill those, and when screwed back together whatever orientation you've cut will be lined up according to that assembled orientation line. That way you can alternate by 90° between baffles, for instance, or have them all the same, whichever you prefer.
The suppressor is built off of the JK Armament solvent trap. Each cup/baffle threads into each other to make the overall suppressor. I did think about that option of etching a line and number into each baffle. But I thought with clipping symmetrically on each side of the baffle opening, it would negate me having to do that. I'm definitely open to suggestions on that and the optimal width and depth of each clip based off a 9mm hole. I really appreciate all the comments thus far.. SUPER helpful...
lb2910

Post by lb2910 »

whiterussian1974 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 pm Lining up doesn't matter. Since you are dual clipping, there is no asymmetry. So the turbulence that it creates won't cause yaw, yet is very disruptive to the gas flow.
Yeah.. I have heard thats a benefit of clipping symmetrically. And since each baffle threads into each other with no way to effectively assure an asymmetrical clip lines up, I was gonna clip a half moon on each side. As you said, this should negate any yaw as the round continues through the length of the suppressor. I also plan on only clipping the inner baffles and not the first and last one to help assure POI accuracy. Hope that makes sense.
mcrump
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mcrump »

Always clip. for 9 mm use a 3/16" ball end mill .220 deep measured from the top of the cone rim. Correct bore is .414 if you are using precision equipment and .434 if using a drill press.
Spectrum Tactical Solutions
FFL 01/SOT/07 license holder
Master Machinist