Solvent Trap Kit - Local Machine Shop

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Casey.Little

Solvent Trap Kit - Local Machine Shop

Post by Casey.Little »

Hey guys,
So I have completed my Form 1 application and notified CLEO. I have to send in fingerprint cards Monday. A shop local to my area offers a really nice-looking "D-Cell" kit and I wanted to get some opinions on it. The shop is known in the community, but I am not sure what the rule-of-thumb here is as to giving out their name or website, so I will refrain.

The kit comes with a Gr. 9 Titanium tube Internal TBE with a wall thickness of 0.167". It has 3 hardened 17-4 SST cones with 3/4" shoulders, and 5 Gr. 5 Titanium cones with 1/2" shoulders. They offer engraving for a flat $35 fee. The cone thickness is 0.050".

I really like the looks of this because each cone and the end cap have a countersink or recessed center hole to make it very easy to get a concentric bore.

I intend to use the can primarily on 6.8 SPC (18") AR15 slow fire (It is a hunting / target rifle), but potentially use it on 223 Rem (16") slow fire and possibly 308 Win and 300 Win Mag bolt action rifles, and therefore the bore will be 0.375". The flash chamber will be approximately 1.5" (Titanium spacer) with a direct thread attachment. My questions to you guys are:

1. General impression of the kit?
2. What is the general durability of the suppressor using the 223 (16") and 6.8 SPC (18") as described above? Level of suppression I could expect due to the oversized suppressor bore (0.375 vs 0.277 & 0.224)
3. How will the suppressor hold up on the 308 Bolt action rifle (24" Sporter Barrel) for hunting and sighting in?
4. How will the suppressor hold up on the 300 Win Mag (26" Bull Barrel) for Hunting and sighting in?

Some photos of the parts:
Gr. 5 Titanium Cone

Hardened 17-4 SST Cone

Gr. 5 Titanium End Cap
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Solvent Trap Kit - Local Machine Shop

Post by Capt. Link. »

For best results kits must be assembled and finished by skilled labor. Bullet diameter plus .060" is standard bore hole size.
.224 +.060 = .284 cones should be bored not drilled.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Casey.Little

Post by Casey.Little »

Capt. Link. wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:44 pm For best results kits must be assembled and finished by skilled labor. Bullet diameter plus .060" is standard bore hole size.
0.375 = 0.308 + 0.067

I intend to use appropriately sized endcaps for 0.224, 0.277, and 0.308. For a single can that's about the best I can do for now.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I would encourage you to build the whole suppressor with one caliber in mind. Multi caliber suppressors rarely are effective. You might look up building using freeze plugs to save some coin if that prevents you from building several different suppressors. It would be best to find a like minded machinist and buy materials in bulk. A 8-12 foot stick can cost less than a single foot from many suppliers. Its not difficult to re-sell quality metal in smaller sizes.
Kits are very expensive.You might do better in finding a commercial suppressor. I would recommend ECCO machine and Curtis found here or on NFA talk.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Casey.Little wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:59 pm
Capt. Link. wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:44 pm For best results kits must be assembled and finished by skilled labor. Bullet diameter plus .060" is standard bore hole size.
0.375 = 0.308 + 0.067

I intend to use appropriately sized endcaps for 0.224, 0.277, and 0.308. For a single can that's about the best I can do for now.
Multiple endcaps for 1 can is illegal. Find an overzealous ATF agent and it would spell trouble.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Casey.Little

Post by Casey.Little »

bakerjw wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:36 pm
Casey.Little wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:59 pm
0.375 = 0.308 + 0.067

Multiple endcaps for 1 can is illegal. Find an overzealous ATF agent and it would spell trouble.
Even if my end caps are fitted for muzzle brakes?
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Endcaps go on the end of the tube away from the firearm. I believe that you are referring to the mount.

If a mount attaches to the tube itself and keeps the baffle stack in place, then each would be considered a silencer part and not legal or at best a gray area. Although I don't know of anyone ever being caught with a Form 1 violation like that, it is not something that I would do or advertise if I did.

I had considered making a large mount say 3/4" or so with a center hole of the diameter of the silencer. e.g. .320" or so for a .30 cal can. I'd then have adapters for each barrel that would fit that thread pattern. It's a lot of extra work though but this is one area where I don't walk the gray area. I know people who do as I've seen solvent traps that are out and out silencers. But not me.

Ask Russian. He can tell you about club fed.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Casey.Little

Post by Casey.Little »

bakerjw wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:26 pm Endcaps go on the end of the tube away from the firearm. I believe that you are referring to the mount.
No i have a direct thread adapter for the mount. I am talking about the end cap. Anhway, it's fine. I don't think anyone has adressed my questions so I will figure it out the old tried and true way.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

bakerjw wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:26 pm Endcaps go on the end of the tube away from the firearm. I believe that you are referring to the mount.
He may be referencing a earlier post of mine where the end caps bore is oversized and made so flash hiders/brakes can be fitted in various calibers limiting bore size. Its similar to the mounting cap/thread adapter in theory. I have not run this past "AFT" as no rule is in place prohibiting this.
I think its worth the effort to use adapters for mounting even if you only have one gun.Its a legal way to compensate for wear.
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

As stated above, you will wind up with a suppressor that doesn’t do a good job on anything.
schmellba

Post by schmellba »

It's really not hard to drill a hole, much less get it close to centered - especially when the part is already started like these are.

If he's primarily using it for a 6.8 SPC, then a 5/16" or 11/32" bit gets the job done easily with adequate room. The majority of the precision work has already been done with the machining of the baffles to fit the can, and be concentric. The work the OP wants to do is pretty basic.
schmellba

Post by schmellba »

Casey.Little wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 pm Hey guys,
So I have completed my Form 1 application and notified CLEO. I have to send in fingerprint cards Monday. A shop local to my area offers a really nice-looking "D-Cell" kit and I wanted to get some opinions on it. The shop is known in the community, but I am not sure what the rule-of-thumb here is as to giving out their name or website, so I will refrain.

The kit comes with a Gr. 9 Titanium tube Internal TBE with a wall thickness of 0.167". It has 3 hardened 17-4 SST cones with 3/4" shoulders, and 5 Gr. 5 Titanium cones with 1/2" shoulders. They offer engraving for a flat $35 fee. The cone thickness is 0.050".

I really like the looks of this because each cone and the end cap have a countersink or recessed center hole to make it very easy to get a concentric bore.

I intend to use the can primarily on 6.8 SPC (18") AR15 slow fire (It is a hunting / target rifle), but potentially use it on 223 Rem (16") slow fire and possibly 308 Win and 300 Win Mag bolt action rifles, and therefore the bore will be 0.375". The flash chamber will be approximately 1.5" (Titanium spacer) with a direct thread attachment. My questions to you guys are:

1. General impression of the kit?
2. What is the general durability of the suppressor using the 223 (16") and 6.8 SPC (18") as described above? Level of suppression I could expect due to the oversized suppressor bore (0.375 vs 0.277 & 0.224)
3. How will the suppressor hold up on the 308 Bolt action rifle (24" Sporter Barrel) for hunting and sighting in?
4. How will the suppressor hold up on the 300 Win Mag (26" Bull Barrel) for Hunting and sighting in?

To answer the questions

1. With Ti and 17-4, it's a robust and solid material selection. Probably a little on the heavy side but not by a whole lot
2. If you size it for a .30 cal, you'll still get good suppression on the smaller calibers for the most part. A lot of it will depend on the length of the can and how many baffles you have (you didn't specify). But generally speaking, if the can is about 8" or so long, you'll have reasonably good suppression on the .223 and probably won't be able to tell any difference in suppression between the 6.8 in a dedicated 6.8 can and .30 cal can.
3. Should hold up to the .308 bolt action well, and you'll get good suppression due to lack of semi-auto action
4. Should be fine on the 300 Win Mag, though I'd suggest talking with the manufacturer about it first just to be sure they've tested it on that caliber
Casey.Little

Post by Casey.Little »

schmellba wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:50 pm
To answer the questions

1. With Ti and 17-4, it's a robust and solid material selection. Probably a little on the heavy side but not by a whole lot
2. If you size it for a .30 cal, you'll still get good suppression on the smaller calibers for the most part. A lot of it will depend on the length of the can and how many baffles you have (you didn't specify). But generally speaking, if the can is about 8" or so long, you'll have reasonably good suppression on the .223 and probably won't be able to tell any difference in suppression between the 6.8 in a dedicated 6.8 can and .30 cal can.
3. Should hold up to the .308 bolt action well, and you'll get good suppression due to lack of semi-auto action
4. Should be fine on the 300 Win Mag, though I'd suggest talking with the manufacturer about it first just to be sure they've tested it on that caliber
Thank you SO much for answering my questions, sir! I had pretty much accepted the fact that no one was going to address my actual questions!
Casey.Little

Post by Casey.Little »

schmellba wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:50 pm
To answer the questions

2. If you size it for a .30 cal, you'll still get good suppression on the smaller calibers for the most part. A lot of it will depend on the length of the can and how many baffles you have (you didn't specify).
8 baffles. 3 are 17-4 and 5 are TI
Casey.Little

Post by Casey.Little »

WooHoo! My eForm 1 has finally been APPROVED!

Submitted 11/19/2021
Approved 12/17/2021

------------------------------
Elapsed Days: 28
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Have you a stamp!