K-Baffles step-by-step

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

canenvy

Post by canenvy »

why the hole in step 10??
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

canenvy wrote:why the hole in step 10??
Some of the gas the gets trapped by the front of disc of the K-baffle (the dished portion). The 'mouse-hole' allows a portion of that gas to get back into the "K" portion of the baffle before it.

Hope that's not too hard to understand.
Noxspector
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Noxspector »

Excellent post!!!!!!

How do you maintain the angle in step#6? Do you set the tool head to the angle you want and start with the deepest cut then move the tool out (Diameter) and up (forward on the baffle) then make another cut not so deep that it matches up with the previous cut?
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Noxspector wrote:Excellent post!!!!!!

How do you maintain the angle in step#6? Do you set the tool head to the angle you want and start with the deepest cut then move the tool out (Diameter) and up (forward on the baffle) then make another cut not so deep that it matches up with the previous cut?
In step 5 I used a parting tool to plunge cut to the final depth. Then in step 6 I take off the shoulder and then keep taking off more and more with the compound set at the right angle.
canenvy

Post by canenvy »

WhisperFan wrote:
canenvy wrote:why the hole in step 10??
Some of the gas the gets trapped by the front of disc of the K-baffle (the dished portion). The 'mouse-hole' allows a portion of that gas to get back into the "K" portion of the baffle before it.

Hope that's not too hard to understand.
think i would need that for a .22 can??
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Yes- you would
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

oops double post...... :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
hotbrass
Silent Operator

Post by hotbrass »

I have a can with k baffles but no mouse holes.

Do you think it would benefit from mouse holes?
soundless

Post by soundless »

hotbrass wrote:I have a can with k baffles but no mouse holes.

Of course it would. U will notice a nice difference after you drill the mouse holes.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

soundless wrote:

Of course it would. U will notice a nice difference after you drill the mouse holes.
Are you sure about this ??
Then Why do most manufactures not use them anymore
hotbrass
Silent Operator

Post by hotbrass »

soundless wrote:

I was thinking of milling the holes. I wouldnt touch a baffle with a drill bit.

How much of a difference will I notice?
Closed Casket
Silent Operator

Post by Closed Casket »

Do you mill any holes on the rear of the k baffles that would leak gas into the cone?
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Closed Casket wrote:Do you mill any holes on the rear of the k baffles that would leak gas into the cone?
I don't .... That is what the mousehole at the bottom of the cone is for.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

In step 3 how far do you know to go in with the countersink? And then in step 6 how do you taper the outside down to where they are both parallel?
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: .

Post by WhisperFan »

Wyatt9k wrote:In step 3 how far do you know to go in with the countersink?
This doesn't mean to sound smart-assed .... but the countersink goes in all the way. Even if the countersink goes in all the way until the edge becomes sharp, you can always face off the sharp edge.
Wyatt9k wrote:And then in step 6 how do you taper the outside down to where they are both parallel?
Once you set the compound rest you taper the outside the same as the inside.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
mylerw

Post by mylerw »

bakerjw wrote:I'll try an explanation without pictures.

As gases accumulate in the chamber just before the flat part of the K, the hole in question directs them into the outer chamber of the K. The gases pass around the outside of the K until they come to the slotted hole on the left side of the picture. They then pass into the open cone area of the K where they are directed into the hole in question in the next baffle thus directing more gas into the outer chamber of that K baffle. for best operation the baffles need to have these holes aligned.
I'm just starting to research this stuff to build on a Form 1. (By 'this stuff' I mean can designs.)

Question:

Doesn't the assymetry of this hole (step 11) cause the bullet's path to deflect? What I mean by this is if the crown on the muzzle of a barrel is dorked up (assymetrical), the gases following and surrounding the bullet upon exit also become assymetrical and throw off the bullet's path slightly. This affects accuracy in a negative way.

These ports seem like they would have a similar effect unless they were alternated in the stack to 'balance' out the effect...? Or instead of one large port off-center, why not put 2 or 3 smaller ones to keep the symmetry intact?

I'm not saying it doesn't work for sound reduction but I would worry about baffle strikes and random accuracy.

Anybody have info to agree or disagree with this?

Thanks
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

mylerw wrote:Question:

Doesn't the assymetry of this hole (step 11) cause the bullet's path to deflect?
No
mylerw wrote:I'm not saying it doesn't work for sound reduction but I would worry about baffle strikes and random accuracy.

These baffles have been around for years - I didnt' make them up. I believe that the whole system works because the bullet has already passed by the baffle and the baffle is taking care of the gas behind it.
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

mylerw wrote: Or instead of one large port off-center, why not put 2 or 3 smaller ones to keep the symmetry intact?
because if you understood how the baffle actually functioned you would realize that would defeat the purpose of the port
mylerw wrote:I'm not saying it doesn't work for sound reduction but I would worry about baffle strikes and random accuracy.

Thanks
You would be wrong, allmost EVERY modern baffle design is asymetric to some degree (even SRT's baffles have a scoop)
kiwi collector

K Baffles

Post by kiwi collector »

Hello, thanks for the info, can I ask please what size is the mill cutter that you use for the mouse holes and for the slot at the top of the K baffle, is this important in regard to the size of the bore, are they both the same size or is one smaller that the other THANKS
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: K Baffles

Post by WhisperFan »

kiwi collector wrote:Hello, thanks for the info, can I ask please what size is the mill cutter that you use for the mouse holes and for the slot at the top of the K baffle, is this important in regard to the size of the bore, are they both the same size or is one smaller that the other THANKS
.3125" for both I use a size slightly smaller than the bore size.
centurion
Industry Professional

Post by centurion »

btt
www.centurionarms.com
leo6223

Post by leo6223 »

Excellent post!!!!

This needs to be a sticky post!

Thanks for the info.
robtay

Post by robtay »

Great write up. I've made my baffles using a similar process. Thanks.

Rob Taylor
FFL/SOT
Rob Tayor, P.E.
tomovich
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tomovich »

This has been a very helpful (for processes) post......now.........how about a "making a neilson device step-by-step" post...... :D THAT would be COOL!
Fighting the Never Ending Battle for Truth, Justice and the American Way!
Calibur6918
Silent Operator

Post by Calibur6918 »

I second that.