22 freeze/expansion plug suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Mousehouse
Silent But Deadly

22 freeze/expansion plug suppressor

Post by Mousehouse »

Anyone built one? I was thinking about trying one to see what it sounded like.

Any ideas of where to find .870, .880, .895 or .925 OD plugs?
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

I have a great one I made for .223
its quieter than my friends comercial made one
any auto parts store will have the plugs. the trick is to get the highwall ones then you dont need spacers. you can lessen the weight by removing some of the skirt. basicaly make it look like a 3 leg stool. but dont cut so far as to loose the gas seal. now for even quieter you can actualy press them into M baffles if you have some basic stuff like a vice a ball bearing and a socket. main problem is making a center mark and dont drill them before forming. I took the precaution of final reaming them when they were in the tube.
have fun. dont blow up
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
slug0

Post by slug0 »

You can buy them at any auto parts store but they come in standard sizes (1/2 3/4 7/8 ) .I think ss fender washers would be a better option
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

they dont just come in standard sizes. the come in standard auto in steel or brass. they come in standard marine in stainless. they also come in metric for auto's . they also come in copper and aluminum.
for heating and airconditioners. they are called pipe caps. they come as inside caps and outside caps . pipe caps also come in brass, steel and stainless.
If there is a pipe size there is a pipe cap that will go inside the pipe or out side the pipe
just dont go to your auto part store and then give up.
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
Mousehouse
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mousehouse »

Thanks sub. Where can I find the ones you are talking about?

I am trying to find specific sizes or I will have to make dies and make my own.
bur437

Post by bur437 »

hey subsonic how about posting a pic or two?
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

I have pics but no host. I can email pics and you put them up. pm me if you want
Mousehouse
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mousehouse »

Photos provided by sub-sonic.

How did you form the plugs?
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

thanks for putting up my pics.. these baffles were made from freeze plugs. I dont have a lathe. what I did was mark the center of the plug then using a rounded punch put a dent in the center.next I got a socket that fitted inside the skirt of the freeze plug and a large ball bearing (in the concave side you can see the inprint of the bearing). I used duct tape to position the bearing on the center mark. then put the whole assembly in the vice and crushed it. I closed the vice untill the jaws stoped at a set gap (2-1/4 for me but it will depend on what socket and bearing you have)
then I center drilled them and cut away material from the skirt to get the weight down.(pics are at this stage) .after they were made I lined them up inside a tube and reamed them to true up the center hole . then remove and debur them . heat treat them all. polish and install for the final fit.
stainless

Post by stainless »

What do you use for a tube and end caps?
Thanks
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

the tube is exhaust pipe . the front cap is a freezeplug baffle welded in and the rear cap is a threaded pipe collar cut from 1-1/2" to 1/2" and welded in the rear.the pipe collar worked great because the pipe was a perfect fit to the flash hider and the collar was a perfect fit inside the exhaust pipe.
ukquiet

Post by ukquiet »

sub-sonic wrote:t.... the rear cap is a threaded pipe collar cut from 1-1/2" to 1/2" and welded in the rear.the pipe collar worked great because the pipe was a perfect fit to the flash hider and the collar was a perfect fit inside the exhaust pipe.
Not sure I fully understand how you mounted this can to the flash hider. Is it possible for you (or housemouse) to post a picture of the end cap and/or the can mounted?
Huh?
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

go to the plumbing section at your local hardware store . find a steel water pipe and a pipe joiner. get one that the inside diameter of the pipe is going to be a tight fit onto the flash hider. get the pipe joiner to fit that pipe. now cut the threaded section off of the pipe and press fit/weld it to the flash hider as far back as possible. I used 1/2 of thread from the pipe. then the joiner cut it to 1/2 inch and fit it in the end of your main tube**

**take your pipe joiner to the exhaust pipe shop and find a pipe that fits over it tightly. that will be your main tube. find freeze plugs that fit in it. and bend grind weld drill etc...

just a little explanation here.

I took on a challenge and made this silencer from auto parts and hardware store items with no lathe or special machines or tools to show it can be done and the end result is a very effective unit that costs less than $20. I used an angle grinder a moto tool, a drill along with sandpaper and a vice some large sockets a ball bearing a hammer and a welder, a file and some skill.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

sub-sonic wrote:
just a little explanation here.

I took on a challenge and made this silencer from auto parts and hardware store items with no lathe or special machines or tools to show it can be done and the end result is a very effective unit that costs less than $20. I used an angle grinder a moto tool, a drill along with sandpaper and a vice some large sockets a ball bearing a hammer and a welder, a file and some skill.
Its just like I've been saying all along, A man with common work shop tools and determination can make a fine silencer just as good as a store bought one. :D
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Mousehouse
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mousehouse »

I was able to get in the garage and work on my latest can a few nights ago. I was surprised how easy the freeze plugs bend. I have most of them formed. Need to drill the center holes and then ream them to the final diameter.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

I need some 3/4'' OD freeze plugs anyone know of a part #
jeepguy88

Post by jeepguy88 »

chingon wrote:I need some 3/4'' OD freeze plugs anyone know of a part #

The last time I bought a regular freeze plug was from a napa, they had a book with pages and pages of all different sizes. You could go to a napa with your size say, .750 or what ever the first guy was asking, and they should be able to get very close to what you need.

Im curious if anyone has a pic of "freeze plug" can.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

what are you looking for.I have a pic of mine but it just looks like a comercial can. once its finished its black long and round
1911fan
Silent Operator

Post by 1911fan »

sub-sonic wrote:...its black long and round
Hmmmm..... No, don't go there.

I've always wondered exactly how low you could go, buying new materials, and I think you're there. How does it compare to a 'store-bought' unit in db reduction? Have you shot it with commercial cans for comparison?

1911fan
German Shorthaired Pointers!
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

well mine works good.its for .223.. I dont have any sound meters except for the uncalibrated ears on my head.
I have 11 baffles cramed into 10.5" including a 2.5" expansion chamber. weight is 32oz its all steel.
for sound its actualy up there with the best. my friend paid big $$ for a comercial model and both sound the same with the same ammo.
the difference is
cost ..mine
weight .. his
length..his
satisfaction of making it.. mine
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

so what diameter are you using sub sonic?
its quiet time!
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

sub-sonic wrote:what are you looking for.I have a pic of mine but it just looks like a comercial can. once its finished its black long and round
ya ya post pics...
its quiet time!
V8Astro
Silent But Deadly

Post by V8Astro »

+1 for pics :D
Mousehouse
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mousehouse »

Posted for sub sonic.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

just to clear up any confusion. all the pictures on this post are from me.
the 3 pictures above this are (1) looking through the end to see the baffles. (2)the unit before welding the ends in and (3)finished with stove paint.
thats the best I can do as I did not take any more pictures during building
the only other pictures I have are the first 2 in this thread

as for tube size I used 1-3/4 exhaust pipe and 1-5/8 high wall freeze plugs
its important to use the old style highwall freeze plugs so you dont need spacers. dont forget your form 1 as well

thanks to Mousehouse for posting and hosting my pictures