22 freeze/expansion plug suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: 22 freeze/expansion plug suppressor

Post by Dr.K »

Hardware, is that you from nv forums over at arfcom? I see you have a flir handheld working like a makeshift weaponsight! Good stuff.
Kyle O.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Yes

Just sighted it in to test if dvr would drop out , it held up ok.

I am going to design a mount with adjustments built in, draw back to handheld is the NUC or reset on the detector happens automatically(green square upper left corner appears before reset) where a weapon sight is manually triggered. Been lurking for years finally joined to post.
NRA Life Member
Gunfixr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Gunfixr »

I think I am just going to build one of these. I found a site that just sells freeze plugs in various materials, including SS.
So far, it appears the smallest you can buy is a bag of 25, going up to bags of 50 and 100.
They come in a dizzying array of sizes, going in between what you normally find.
I am still waiting to hear how thick the material is, and what alloy of SS is used.

If it looks good for materail and price, will post the site.
Gunsmith, Unique Armament Creations, 07/SOT
Glock Advanced Armorer
Moose57

Post by Moose57 »

bump :mrgreen:
BigBilly

Post by BigBilly »

Incredibly informative conversation here... In light of the spirit of this thread, there is a gentleman in Florida who sells a muzzle device with 3/4 NPT threads that may be extremely useful for anyone looking to build a silencer in Sub Sonic's model. Link below...

https://www.gunthreadadapters.com/shop/ ... ized-4140/
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

Gunfixr wrote:I think I am just going to build one of these. I found a site that just sells freeze plugs in various materials, including SS.
So far, it appears the smallest you can buy is a bag of 25, going up to bags of 50 and 100.
They come in a dizzying array of sizes, going in between what you normally find.
I am still waiting to hear how thick the material is, and what alloy of SS is used.

If I were to make another one it would be all SS
thats about the only change I would make
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

I can't stop reading this thread, while i'm waiting on my form 1.

would making it longer or thicker help sound reduction at all?
drjosephbell

Post by drjosephbell »

Sub,
this is a fantastic design. i love the way you crushed the freeze plugs... brilliant.

I just read this whole thread (awesome) and the only thing i am unsure about is how you reamed it. i saw the size you used (.265? ill go back and check) but how did you safely ream out this 10.5" (or so) tube without the use of special tools?

unfortunately i am unable to physically test any of this until my form 1 comes back, but on paper im quite confident with everything except that final ream.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

mr fixit wrote:I can't stop reading this thread, while i'm waiting on my form 1.

would making it longer or thicker help sound reduction at all?
the bigger the better but you must work out where you need to stop
a 55 gallon drum would make a fantastic silencer but its a bit hard to carry around

drjosephbell wrote:Sub,
this is a fantastic design. i love the way you crushed the freeze plugs... brilliant.

I just read this whole thread (awesome) and the only thing i am unsure about is how you reamed it. i saw the size you used (.265? ill go back and check) but how did you safely ream out this 10.5" (or so) tube without the use of special tools?

unfortunately i am unable to physically test any of this until my form 1 comes back, but on paper im quite confident with everything except that final ream.
All the baffles were center drilled (from memory .250) before they went into the tube then I used a long shank reamer and a drill to run through to make sure the holes were in line. I first did the hole at .250 but later opened it to .265
I remember having the reamer with just 1/8" in the drill chuck to get it all the way through the baffle stack.

on feb 8 this year it will be 6 years since this thread started and today I find it back on page 1
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
drjosephbell

Post by drjosephbell »

I remember having the reamer with just 1/8" in the drill chuck to get it all the way through the baffle stack.

haha ok thats what i looking for...

so why did you bump up to .265? did you have baffle strikes at .250?

im amazed at your results with .265" holes and no screening/grease/wipes or any of the annoying components that need frequent replacing like many of the so called "DIY models"

i'm currently in the design phase of a model that utilizes your "baffle system" described here but rather than wrapping around the FH to create a 2 point connection it simply threads right to the barrel... do you think it will be as effective from a sound suppression standpoint? as far as stability goes (and technically allignment too i guess) i feel like the 2 point connection is better... but for my first build (and stamp) this way will be easier for me.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

drjosephbell wrote:so why did you bump up to .265? did you have baffle strikes at .250?
because I was advised to by some industry professionals because to quote them "250 is insanely small" so I went with the .265 and its been all fun since. I thought it would have been worn out by now but its still going strong
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

I've been reading this thread for a few years now and I finally did something about it! I efiled a form 1 last Sunday to build a freeze plug can. Mine is going to be a bit different in that it will be an integral can on an 8.5" 300 blackout barrel for an AR. It's going to be over 16" when finished so I can put it on any lower without an SBR stamp. I'm using a slip over style flash hider as my base for the threads and keeping it concentric. I'm hoping the shorter eFile times hold up. I might be able to have it finished mid summer!
Groundhog whacka

Post by Groundhog whacka »

Just got my form one back. I made a .224 suppressor from aluminized exhaust tubing and steel frost plugs. I was impressed with the results so I want to make one out of all stainless. But am having trouble finding a source for 1 3/8" stainless plugs. I e-mailed a company twice but they apparently aren't interested in selling them.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

just added some new video

http://youtu.be/5xQoNiPwy2M

thats the 30cal can on the carcano in 7.62x39
Last edited by sub-sonic on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuietGunslinger

Post by QuietGunslinger »

I just read this entire thread from the first post to the last. And had to say thank you to all of you, especially sub-sonic. Insanely great info.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

sub-sonic wrote:just added some new video

http://youtu.be/5xQoNiPwy2M
Excellent!.

Thank you for showing, especially for
not shooting into a steel plate or drum so that we
could make out your suppressor's signature.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I'll lend my voice to Historian's thanks on the metal plate thing. It's a bit of a plague among would-be suppressor reviewers, so always a fine thing to not hear the target, at least not much of it.

Is that a pistol scope by the way? Very long eye relief. I like the slim profile. Shades of the scope used in 'The Day of the Jackal' on that nifty crutch gun.
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

I have been reading this thread over the course of a few days. Very informative. Thank you sub-sonic for the helpful information. I just registered today just so that I can post and say thanks!
tripntx
Silent Operator

Post by tripntx »

Gunfixr wrote:I think I am just going to build one of these. I found a site that just sells freeze plugs in various materials, including SS.

Anybody have a website link to find SS freeze plugs?

I would like to file a form 1 this upcoming week, and want to determine what materials to use prior to selecting a length.

Love this thread!! I've read through it a couple of times in the past 12 months. I've finally made up my mind to build a freeze plug suppressor.
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

After about three and a half months, my Form 1 was approved. Now I need to get serious on my build! I think I have a freeze plug that works with my tubing, I'm going to form one baffle and then order more if it works. I'll make sure to document the build so I can share it here.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Slow Hand wrote:After about three and a half months, my Form 1 was approved. Now I need to get serious on my build! I think I have a freeze plug that works with my tubing, I'm going to form one baffle and then order more if it works. I'll make sure to document the build so I can share it here.
Did you find SS plugs? if so where?
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

Just got my form 1 approved today can't wait to start a build using sub-sonics ways
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

this is an awesome thread, VERY simple can, easy to make for sure

i am however surprised by the number of people repeatedly asking the same questions, lol, just read the whole thread slowly, its all in there, everything you need to know
blkgld4me

Post by blkgld4me »

I have to say to Sub...Love your work sir!!! My hat goes off to you.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

7 years

video here
http://youtu.be/mY2A_HTV6ZU
Last edited by sub-sonic on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.