Do I have to use a booster?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

DONKEY918

Do I have to use a booster?

Post by DONKEY918 »

I now understand what a booster is for, but the question then becomes, if I make the CAN light enough, do I still need a booster?
I have all of the best machining gear at my disposal and I can get ahold of very light weight yet very strong alloy metals, would this make a difference??
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Very light cans often don't need a booster. However, you should seriously evaluate how light you can get your can. A good example is the Gemtech Blackside - it's a very light boosterless pistol can, and STILL has a lot of cycling problems.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do I have to use a booster?

Post by WhisperFan »

DONKEY918 wrote:I now understand what a booster is for, but the question then becomes, if I make the CAN light enough, do I still need a booster?
I have all of the best machining gear at my disposal and I can get ahold of very light weight yet very strong alloy metals, would this make a difference??
The only pistols that need a booster (also called by a variety of names from different manufacturers) are the ones whose barrel moves to unlock the action. So, pistols that have a fixed barrel, like a Walther PPK and an HK P7, would not need a booster. Pistols whose barrel moves can do so in one of two ways, in the most common method, the barrel and slide move reward and then some mechanism (like a ramped area) draws the barrel downward as the slide continues its rearward travel. Pistols like this almost always need a booter. These type of pistols include Glocks, Sigs, and many HK's and all the various types of 1911. If you draw the slide back and lock it to the rear, look at the side of the pistol with the slide level, if the barrel appears to be pointing up in the air, you will probably need a booster.

There is at least one pistol whose barrel moves, but it does so in a different fashion. The Beretta 92 and 96 series has a locking block beneath the barrel. The barrel and slide move together only far enough to allow the locking block to drop. The slide coninues rearward, but the barrel stops. The barrel remains parallel with the slide. Light weight suppressors can be made to work on these pistols. I have a Form 1 can that weighs in just under 7 oz and it works with mine. Many people will tell you that a Beretta can work with cans under 5oz, but you can sometimes get a heavier can to work if you play with the recoil springs.

Hope that helps.

This has all been my opinion - so take it for what it's worth
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Anybody have plans for a booster that someone doing a Form 1 can could incorporate?
kombayotch
Silent Operator

Post by kombayotch »

The key to the booster is the k value (spring constant) of the spring that resists the motion. The piston design is relatively straight forward, you can find images and CAD models of them on here.

If you know someone with a can similar to what you want to build, you can determine it experimentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_constant
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

You have to be careful with boosters. If they give too much boost you will end up breaking something. It is a balance between weight, length and cartridge. Not something I would want to tackle and a F1 builder.
This message has been approved by #93
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

This might be a stupid question, but why not buy a Trident booster from SWR and build your can around that?
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Illuminated_one wrote:This might be a stupid question, but why not buy a Trident booster from SWR and build your can around that?
Because we will not sell you one for that. The Trident mounting devices are for the Trident only.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Not that SWR will know, if you don't tell them... (sorry Matt, but it's true).
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Conqueror wrote:Not that SWR will know, if you don't tell them... (sorry Matt, but it's true).
Yup, I know that, but I need to publicly say that the Trident attachments are for Trident use only and we do not honor any warranty on parts used in this way.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

Illuminated_one wrote:This might be a stupid question, but why not buy a Trident booster from SWR and build your can around that?
If you did, at the minium the F1 can would have to be the exact weight as a trident. (meaning allmost the same dimentions)

And i'll say with 100% confidence that it will sound worse than a Trinity...
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

mpallett wrote:Yup, I know that, but I need to publicly say that the Trident attachments are for Trident use only and we do not honor any warranty on parts used in this way.
Certainly. Only an idiot would expect you to warranty a booster used on someone's Form 1 can.
macgyver6868
Silent Operator

Post by macgyver6868 »

if someone were to use one of your boosters on a f1 can,would you take any kind of legal action?
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

#93 wrote:You have to be careful with boosters. If they give too much boost you will end up breaking something. It is a balance between weight, length and cartridge. Not something I would want to tackle and a F1 builder.
I'm guessing the heavier your can is the lighter your spring would need to be.
As a F1 Builder, I would design a booster with a relatively mid/low spring constant.
Then add small shims as needed to bring up the preload value.

The can adds a good amount of back pressure to the system - thus increasing slide velocity.
There are two components of the spring to worry about. Preload and stiffness (K value).

Adding or removing shims can change the preload value, while buying 2 or 3 springs of varying constant will change the stiffness.
Swapping out any of these components should be well within your rights as a form 1 non-SOT builder.
So stick do a design seen on these forums and swap out components as needed.
Error to the side of safety (heavy spring/large preload) when starting testing and work your way down.
You'll have alot of FTFs at first... but that's better than breaking your pistol and/or can because of too high slide velocities.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

macgyver6868 wrote:if someone were to use one of your boosters on a f1 can,would you take any kind of legal action?
Unless the threads that attach the booster to the suppressor module are proprietary and patented or the booster module comes with an end-user license agreement there could be little recourse against a F1 suppressor that accepts rident modules. That'd be like Ford filing lawsuit you for using one of their purchased engine blocks in a custom hot rod.
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

macgyver6868 wrote:if someone were to use one of your boosters on a f1 can,would you take any kind of legal action?
I could be totally out of line and incorrect, but as long as it's just for personal use and it's not being marketed, I don't think a lawsuit can be pressed.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

04hemi wrote:
I could be totally out of line and incorrect, but as long as it's just for personal use and it's not being marketed, I don't think a lawsuit can be pressed.
Not true. If someone copies a patented design, even for one-time personal use it is against the law and a lawsuit could be filed. A patent does not grant rights for producing something... it explicitly EXCLUDES others from producing it - even for R/D, testing, or personal use.

Patent litigation is extremely expensive for both sides - so this sort of thing rarely happens. It's just not wise for a company financially - what could they hope to gain by going after someone making a one-off in their basement? It'd be cheaper for SWR just to GIVE the offender a real Trident 9 and have him sign an agreement to destroy the homebuilt ones.