a little silencer design

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

idpasharpshooter

a little silencer design

Post by idpasharpshooter »

sense this is my first post i will start out by saying hello. my name is matt i'm from central pa and i'm 20 years old. i'm interested in starting a careerer in gun smithing and manufacturing.

with that said i got my forum 1 back last week, i thought i had my design down pat but manufacturing difficulties made me stop and rethink things.

sooooo here is my delima im building a 9mm can to put on a beretta 92, i wanted the can small enough i could use the sights but that only left me with 1 inch od. i was stupid and dictated the length on my forum so i am stuck with 7 inches.

so my question is how big should i go, what type of baffles are best, what materials are best and what can i do and what has been done for sights.

also has anyone played around with heaver bullets than 147 grain for 9mm i played with some 158 grain lead bullets they cycled the gun and showed no signs of over pressure what are some thoughts?
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Form 1 Line 10 D...

How old are you?

Not trying to be a dick but I'm surprised they let that through.
idpasharpshooter

i said i was 20. the way it works here in pa is i can build it but i cant buy it from a dealer. it is weird with handguns too i can have a handgun given to me by my parent or grand parent i can transfer one from anyone by going to the sheriffs office but i cant buy one from a dealer.

there were many phone calls back and forth between me and the atf discussing weather or not that was ok as it turns out it is.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Perfectly fine

Post by David Hineline »

You only need be 21 to buy NFA from a dealer, to make it or buy from individual you can be younger. He knew that, now so do you.

Don't get nuts with the sights, easy enough to learn to look through the sigts and silencer and see the target both eyes open, or buy taller sights.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
jonharoy
Elite Member

Re: a little silencer design

Post by jonharoy »

idpasharpshooter wrote:i was stupid and dictated the length on my forum so i am stuck with 7 inches.
This will help you next time.
http://www.silencertests.com/silencer-f ... highlight=
I wish I had 7 inches. :shock:
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

So why do they ask on the form if your 21 or older? I swear these forms were created by the same people that write military manuals.
idpasharpshooter

my big question is 1 by 7 inches overall big enough for 9mm or should i go bigger

would 2 inches be overkill
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

A one inch can would probably be pretty loud.

Make it a larger diameter and either buy taller sights, or as said earlier, learn to aim through the can.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

You could make an eccentric can where the majority of the volume was below the bore. Lots of work making sure everything lines up but it is doable. Like a DeLisle and some Maxim cans.

The old Hush Puppy cans and some AAC cans had sights built into the can. They were not for target shooting but this could be another option for you.

A 1 inch by 7 inch 9mm can is going to be disappointingly loud.
This message has been approved by #93
idpasharpshooter

i think im going to build it 2 inches diameter and put one of these on top