Dimensions...tac 65...(Pic heavy)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cdmillig
The Slippery One

Post by cdmillig »

awesome. I didn't know some cans were built like that. Thought they were all a single piece baffle w/a tube around it. I bet silencers like that one would be easier to clean.
Be kind to others and stay ready
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

st33ve0- the thread cound was 28 tpi on the end caps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

jimmym40a2 wrote:st33ve0- the thread cound was 28 tpi on the end caps.
Excellent thanks! You've done a great service to the boards with this thread :D
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

sry, but I am new to silencers.
why is there a hole at an angle to the main hole for the bullet?

I have only seen ones with holes straight throught all the way around the flat peice.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

It allows gas to enter around the cone utilizing the volume of the can and causing the gas to "swirl" slowing it down before exiting. other wise you have wasted volume with out the holes.
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

this is the one i was talking about....
http://www.cncguns.com/projects/22silencer.html
bkkd
Silent But Deadly

Post by bkkd »

uhhh im not trying to be a stick in the mud or anything, but did you ask craig if you could publish his tac-65 specs on the internet?

a lot of manufacturers would have a cow if somebody done this to their designs.......
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

No- I don't know Craig and I'm not manufacturing cans for sale. I'm sure any manufacture that is serious about producing silencers has bought one and has the dimensions. (as well as dozens of other manufactures) I posted this for the F1 can maker so he has a baseline to get ideas from. I'm sure the amount of F1 cans is minimal and not putting anyone out of business. He makes a great product at a great price and this is not about hurting anyones business. If I made a can I would expect others to look at it and do the same. His great price and customer service will keep him in business for years to come.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

there is no way anyone could keep from posting those on the net, assuming they were bought in fair commerce and not some sort of "trade secret"......

the net is full of drawings, diagrams, pics of parts and modifications of those parts........
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
bkkd
Silent But Deadly

Post by bkkd »

post up the same stuff from aac or gemtech or awc and see if they dont mind :roll:
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

bkkd wrote:uhhh im not trying to be a stick in the mud or anything, but did you ask craig if you could publish his tac-65 specs on the internet?

a lot of manufacturers would have a cow if somebody done this to their designs.......
IF he had posted specs THEN he would indeed be in trouble. To post specs he would have to have the prints used by the manufacturer. But he didn't post any specs. He posted some dimensions. There is nothing wrong with that, especially on a design like this that is pretty much an industry standard.
bkkd
Silent But Deadly

Post by bkkd »

sure thing............im just waiting until some of the other manufacturers weight in on this
bkkd
Silent But Deadly

Post by bkkd »

PTK wrote:Those Tac-65s gum up so quickly it's not worth trying to clean them. Can't use ultrasound to clean them, either - aluminum.

Can you tell I'm frustrated with my -65? I hardly use it any more. :(
ive cleaned mine at least a dozen times, i wouldnt have one that could not be taken apart.

simply take a dull knife and scrape the lead off......or a small flat screwdriver.

works fine and last a long time.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

Closed Casket wrote:Is that suppressor considered as quiet as the Outback II and Pilot?

Most thru holes on .22lr cans I have seen were .250"

I see this one has a .275" thru hole.
Most .22lr cans have .264 holes. The .25" holes are a good way to trash cans. The tac cans are .275, and my QD can is .281 at the muzzle.

The Tac 65 has a 1.1" tube, rather than a std 1" tube. aparently (according to these pictures) it's ~.069" wall, so they are only picking up .050" of actual useful space with that.

-----------------------

When you use a calipers you want to measure ID curved objects with the bladed parts of the anvils, not the thick flats. Obviously the thick flat isn't giving you a good measurement on the ID curved surface.

AKA http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z101 ... 0_0589.jpg

Actually,there are a set of ID anvils on the opposing side of the caliper (those pointy guys going the opposite direction of the main set), of course they may not get past the thread Minor diameter region of the tube.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

edit
Closed Casket
Silent Operator

Post by Closed Casket »

I wonder if someone cut up an AAC suppressor and posted pics of the guts here if the thread would last.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

Closed Casket wrote:I wonder if someone cut up an AAC suppressor and posted pics of the guts here if the thread would last.
I don't think so.

Nor do I think it should. I think people should buy a product or make one of their own design. Not copy another.

And esspecially not copy a Tac 65. It's not even really a good suppressor.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

I didn't post them for people to copy per se but as a baseline for there own designs. Let's say your making one and you wonder....what do others use as a (blank) dimension. it gives you something to compare to and modify.
Last edited by jimmym40a2 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

jimmym40a2 wrote:I didn't post them for people to copy per se but as a baseline for there own designs.
Right I suppose that makes sense.

When you look at stuff like this though, it just strikes me as something someone will more likely attempt to copy.

The companies have blueprints of parts that are used for machining and these documents are almost always marked "confidential and proprietary" for good reasons.

Obviously people can buy and copy too. I understand that.
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

Closed Casket wrote:I wonder if someone cut up an AAC suppressor and posted pics of the guts here if the thread would last.
They have. It was a Pilot with pics of the internals. It's still around here somewhere

As soon as pics are posted it's quite easy to pull dimensions from just the pics...

All you need is one refrence dimension and the rest is easy.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

Mtdew wrote:
They have. It was a Pilot with pics of the internals. It's still around here somewhere

As soon as pics are posted it's quite easy to pull dimensions from just the pics...

All you need is one refrence dimension and the rest is easy.

Well since not everyone is a Japanese photo-wizard with a chinese copying background and graphical arts degree, I think things like this are much closer than simple pictures of items.

It's just two different schools of thought. People who design things and understand those exact designs should rightfully be their property, and people who think s--t should be a giant free for all, with everyone copying anything they want to a thousandth of an inch.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Re: Dimensions...tac 65...(Pic heavy)

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Here it is
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Dimensions...tac 65...(Pic heavy)

Post by Bendersquint »

jimmym40a2 wrote:Here it is

What is it? Or was this just a bump?