silenced 45-70

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

silenced 45-70

Post by sub-sonic »

I am thinking of building a silenced 45-70
has any one had experience with that combination
I am worried about using lead projectiles
but I want to use 520 grain projectiles and lead is the only option
hows lead go in a silence and whats the best baffle style for a big slow chunk of lead
thanks
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

You'll need a can that you can totaly take apart to clean the lead out of it. I would think a M or K baffle would work just fine, You'll need some Volume. I'd try loading with some faster burning powder would help.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

Sounds interesting
What is the base rifle?
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

The ability to clean it is important if you are shooting lead bullets but I doubt a 45-70 can would see the amount of use a 22 can does so I am not sure it is absolutely necessary.

I don't know much about the 45-70 but the two things that I have noticed that really dictate what type baffle to use are the pressure and the bore hole size. Something like a K tends to work well with higher pressures and and a small bore hole. simpler designs that do not "work" the gas a hard like a cone tend to work will with lower pressure cartridges but AAC has used cones in their rifle cans (high pressure) with very good results too.

If I were building this gun I think I would use a long cone with a notch cut in the side since the cone works well in high pressure and with a large bore hole.
This message has been approved by #93
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

I'm thinking about getting a new .45-70 barrel for a single shot NEF I have (it's currently in .500 S&W mag) and silencing it, but the issue of sights is what has held me back. I may just have to go with a scope and forget irons, but in either case, I was planning the following:

2" OD, 16" long over a 16" barrel (total length around 24") stainless tube 0.085 walls, aluminum monolithic core with a gap of .015" around the core vs. the ID, guides on either end of the core to center with the endcaps in place, and completely removable for cleaning.

I figured the total cost including the gun, NFA stamp, scope mount, scope, and materials at less than $800.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

If you're thinking about an NEF I'd act quickly. Marlin owns NEF and Remington just bought Marlin and Remington has already stated that they are going to reorganize/down size their assests: In other words they are going to shut down NEF. Here's a link to the news release: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/news/press.aspx#plan

I'd go with a T/C Contender or Encore in .45-70 if I were you.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

This integration will be seamless and will not affect our customers or our product offerings.
In that very press release it states that they're simply moving the production. I called them a few weeks ago when it was released - they stated plainly that production WAS NOT ceasing, nor was the barrel program being stopped. :)

As for the Encore barrel, there's no reason to spend that much more money. I can get a complete NEF for less than the price of one barrel.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

PTK wrote:I'm thinking about getting a new .45-70 barrel for a single shot NEF I have (it's currently in .500 S&W mag)
Stick to the .500! handloads.org lists a 700gr 975fps load for the .500 S&W that would (IMO) be the tits out of a single-shot suppressed rifle. People have loaded the 700gr to supersonic levels so you could even eek it to the 1,050fps region. That would destroy just about any animal on this continent.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Why I didn't think of that is far, far beyond me... I've been loading 500gr bullets at about 1,000 FPS anyway. :D
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

I am thinking of using a big martini action with a 12" barrel and an integral silencer to make it up to 18" or 20" barrel length.
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

That would be quite a sharp looking rifle, and probably just about perfect for hunting to boot. :)
glocker21

Post by glocker21 »

Artful wrote:You'll need a can that you can totaly take apart to clean the lead out of it. I would think a M or K baffle would work just fine, You'll need some Volume. I'd try loading with some faster burning powder would help.
Would jacketed .45-70 make a pressure difference?
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I shoot lead in 458 socom, 510 whisper, 300 whisper, 338 whisper and 9mm. The rifle cans are easy to clean. The 9mm sees more lead through it and it really builds up. I have to scrape it off then use a scrub pad to finish, a real pain in the butt. Jacketed 338, 45 and 50 cal bullets are expensive, so I cast my own 300, 500 and 950 grain bullets for use in the bigger guns.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273