New .45 ACP platform -- seems like better than a 77/44.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

I have been waiting for over 1 1/2 years!

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

Purchased a Enfield Kit with Bull barrel in Jan 05!
Still no barrel and Tom at Rhineland has told me many times, they should have them in 2 to 3 weeks.
So if you ordered a bull barrel wanting to build a suppressed 45 rifle.....well you will wait a loooong time.
paltik1

mech-tech

Post by paltik1 »

what about putting a silencer on a 12" mech-tech? have already tried this? any comments before I chop my mech-tech .45 :D please help. thanks
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

He told me today another few weeks. At this point I will put one of the upcoming AAC super cans onto it.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Re: mech-tech

Post by mpallett »

paltik1 wrote:what about putting a silencer on a 12" mech-tech? have already tried this? any comments before I chop my mech-tech .45 :D please help. thanks
I would think the Blow Back action of the mech tech would be loud. Also, you will need to SBR that pistol if you want to cut the barrel to 12" and not perm. attach the suppressor.
paltik1

blowback noise

Post by paltik1 »

...can you please share more ideas regarding the blowbakc noise? please help. thanks
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

How heavy is the bolt out of your CCU 45? The one out of my 9mm CCU is 2lb 1 and 1/8 oz. Mr. Pallett is likely correct about the blowback noise, but I wonder since it is so supprisingly heavy.

Actually it may be possible to still meet the quiet 45 platform requirements by increasing the spring to make it a hand cycle rig.

The SBR element is interesting because you could have a glock lower and fobus stock with g34 + evo9 or advantage arms 22lr and switch to the short ccu for a good optics platform.
mpallett

Post by mpallett »

Dan wrote:How heavy is the bolt out of your CCU 45? The one out of my 9mm CCU is 2lb 1 and 1/8 oz. Mr. Pallett is likely correct about the blowback noise, but I wonder since it is so supprisingly heavy.

Actually it may be possible to still meet the quiet 45 platform requirements by increasing the spring to make it a hand cycle rig.

The SBR element is interesting because you could have a glock lower and fobus stock with g34 + evo9 or advantage arms 22lr and switch to the short ccu for a good optics platform.
I've wanted to suppress my Mech Tech for a while, and I usually get laughed at when I talk about it. That being said, I still want to do it. If there were a way you could lock the bolt on the mech tech it would be best. I'll dig it out and look at it some more.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Ba ha ha ha.

I can't imagine using the words "My" and "MechTech" in the same sentence.
mpallett

Post by mpallett »

rsilvers wrote:Ba ha ha ha.

I can't imagine using the words "My" and "MechTech" in the same sentence.
See the ridicule I get? :D - at least I only bought 1 and it was something like 10 years ago.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

How heavy is the bolt out of your CCU 45? The one out of my 9mm CCU is 2lb 1 and 1/8 oz. Mr. Pallett is likely correct about the blowback noise, but I wonder since it is so supprisingly heavy.
That is very heavy for a 9mm bolt. Most blowback bolts for the 9 run about 24oz. I would think that a muzzle suppressor would fare pretty well.
paltik1

silent mech-tech

Post by paltik1 »

the 7" can for my .45 CCU 12" Mech-tech is finished and was able to use it without any ear protection.....but wait.........im encountering occasional 'short stroking'.... whats your opinion on these? please help. thanks
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

Paltic1,

will you post a picture of the setup?

were you encountering "short stroking" before? Have you tried different types of ammo?
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Saw this on Subgun
http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/inde ... =retrieval

Price: $995 Ea.

Text of Ad

New manufacture .45 suppressed carbines built on
the British Enfield #4 action.
As seen at S.A.R., winter of 2005

$995 ea. plus applicable transfer tax.

I do not have ready access to DB testing equipment,
shooters who have tried the gun agree that it
sounds like a low power air rifle.
People twenty yards away do not seem to notice the
shot if they are not expecting it.

This version is not a Delisle replica, it's a
conventional integral suppressor carbine with a
concentric tube.

16.5" long tube to keep it as a single tax stamp
gun.
Interior of the tube is hard chrome for easy
cleaning, baffles are produced via CNC for absolute
consistency.

Uses standard 1911 type magazines.

Available with the Enfield micrometer rear sight for
easy adjustment to the .45 trajectory, or with a
scope mount.
Standard 230 gr. gives excellent accuracy at fifty
yards, very good to one hundred yards, usable to
one hundred-fifty yards.
Testing so far shows Remington "Golden Saber" 180
gr. to be only a fraction louder, but best for long
range shooting due to higher velocity.

Wood or synthetic stocks.

Base guns are stripped to the white and rebuilt,
finish is Moly-Teflon in Black, Green, Brown, or a
camo combination.
Other finishes available by special order.

F4 will file same day as funds are received.
50/50 payment welcome.
Production is currently underway, guns are built
faster than ATFE-NFA can complete the forms.

Special Interest Arms (775) 782-4342
[email protected]
Contact Information

Name: Richard Brengman

Street Address: 1422-A

City: Gardnerville

State/Province: Nevada

Zip/Postal Code: 89410

Telephone Number: 775 782-4342

E-Mail Address: [email protected]

Web Site URL: http://www.specialinterestarms.com
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Mr_Psmith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr_Psmith »

I've considered suppressing a .45 cal Beretta Storm ; I don't yet own one so I'm not sure whether an integral can could be extended back over the barrel into the frame (removing plastic material, of course).

Anyone own one and care to proffer an opinion?
jreinke

Post by jreinke »

Here's a guy who designed a AR lower that will take M3 Grease Gun mags with no modifications. It was designed to work with Olympic Arms K45 uppers. Right now he's only selling "10%" lowers as he has no FFL to make them. Sounds like an ATF raid waiting to happen, but he does have a cool product! http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/projects/AR45lower.html
MPfiveengineer
Silent But Deadly

Post by MPfiveengineer »

I really like the looks of that integral Enfield .45, but would like a .45 can for a rifle and my 1991A1. How well do you guys think a .45 Enfield would suppress with a Blackside?
�A wise man will often simplify the complicated, while a fool will complicate the simple�
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

MPfiveengineer wrote:I really like the looks of that integral Enfield .45, but would like a .45 can for a rifle and my 1991A1. How well do you guys think a .45 Enfield would suppress with a Blackside?
Not to be a weisenheimer, but the answer has to be "it's quieter than on a pistol, but louder than an integral". Unfortunately for me, I think that would mean dissatisfaction unless I had a converted Enfield .45 already laying around.

That integral Enfield from Special Interest Arms looks great!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would think you would want something both longer and larger diameter than a Blackside. Just buying that existing rifle would be the best thing to do. A high volume can with simple baffles can do pretty well as the Mk9 has proven.
MPfiveengineer
Silent But Deadly

Post by MPfiveengineer »

Ben B. wrote: That integral Enfield from Special Interest Arms looks great!
Yes it does.

I think you guys are right about going with the integral. I would always wonder how quiet it could be. Topherseven (my shooting buddy) is getting a SRT77/44 and I think something like this would be comparable.
�A wise man will often simplify the complicated, while a fool will complicate the simple�
jreinke

Post by jreinke »

Has anyone done any actual testing to see what barrel length will make factory 230 grain FMJ's go 1000-1050 fps? I mean cut the barrel off an inch at a time and chrono each length?

Jeff Reinke
BachelorJack
Silent But Deadly

Post by BachelorJack »

Has any progress been made regarding these conversions? It seems like a viable alternative for those of us unwilling to spend our time handloading.
Arghhh!!
gtcontender

Post by gtcontender »

I have the following SRT 77/44, SRT Camp45, Camp45 threaded and Gemtech Blackside. As to accuracy the 77/44 is hands down the best with 50yard groups in one ragged hole, this is handloads of 240gr hornady XTP in 44Mag cases, the 77/44 is just as quiet shooting the Hornady 44special 240XTP although the groups open up to around 1/2 inch. This was a factory gun done by SRT and does not have the douglas barrel option.

The SRT Camp 45 is just as quiet as the 77/44 but to the shooter it seems louder because of the action, but once you stand back or to the side 10-15 feet they sound no different. The 45 will shoot 1/2 groups at 50yards.

The Camp 45 with Blackside is no were nearly as quiet as the others. I have tried many different things since this is a wet can, but nothing really helps. The Blackside works excellent on the Glock21 that I have built, but not the rifle due to the full length barrel and not enough volumn of the can.

All in all it really depends really on what distance and what purpose one wishes with it. If going for the 100 yard shots I would stay with a 77/44 if trying to take larger game with it. The intergal 45 is excellent if you stay to within 75 yards for large varmints. I like the Camp gun for the being semiauto and able to handle more than 4 rounds. With some of the extended mags for 10 rounds that is the ticket. And just for the folks to know. The new 1911 drum mag that PRO MAG has out DOES NOT work worth a hoot. I tried one in the Camp and shoot 2 times and jam, also tried it in several 1911 handguns for the sake of checking and same problem. If you do camp then stay with the single stack 1911.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Is the Camp .45 with Blackside "quiet enough" for shooting without hearing protection? In other words, is it quieter than the pistol + Blackside, or louder? Is it quieter than a .22 rifle, or louder?
Just curious.

Thanks

Ben
BachelorJack
Silent But Deadly

Post by BachelorJack »

Interesting.

I have a SWR Hems2, chilling. Have yet to throw together a host for it.

I have a SRT Camp 45 and love it. Great gun. Putting a new optic on it here in the coming weeks. I was thinking Leupold VXIII Illuminated 1.5-5. I'll get the paralax adjusted for 50yds back at Leupold. Anyone have a different suggestion?

I'm debating either a 77/44 or one of these conversions should they ever come out. I do not reload/handload. I don't have the time, space, etc. Does the 77/44 mandate it or can I just use commercial ammo of some variety?

I'm really curious. Dog pile!!!
Arghhh!!
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

BachelorJack wrote:...I have a SRT Camp 45 and love it. Great gun. Putting a new optic on it here in the coming weeks. I was thinking Leupold VXIII Illuminated 1.5-5. I'll get the paralax adjusted for 50yds back at Leupold. Anyone have a different suggestion?...
Why not get a 4x or 2x-7x Leupold rimfire scope?

Ben