New .45 ACP platform -- seems like better than a 77/44.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

New .45 ACP platform -- seems like better than a 77/44.

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.centuryarms.com/store/produc ... cts_id=960

Uses 1911 magazines. I am gonna get one and build it up.

http://www.looksmarthunting.com/p/artic ... _n11840303

I called Rheinland www.rhinelandarms.com He said the Mauser can take more pressure but only feels ball ammo. I will use the Enfield.

So -- my thought is this is much better than a 77/44 because the ammo is cheaper, has good hollowpoints, and is jacketed. Also the mags are 1911 mags and hold 8 rounds. Am I missing something? Is there some reason why a 77/44 is better?
Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Racer »

I have thought several times about building one of these just never got around to it. Are you going to do an integral or put a .45 can on the end of the barrel?
Dave
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Integral
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

So -- my thought is this is much better than a 77/44 because the ammo is cheaper, has good hollowpoints, and is jacketed. Also the mags are 1911 mags and hold 8 rounds. Am I missing something? Is there some reason why a 77/44 is better?
I would think the ability to use much heavier bullets than a .45 would be a plus for hunters. As the velocity is limited to subsonic for max suppression, the 300-330 grain loads of the .44 would increase power and penetration on live game. For a target, or fun gun, the .45 would be a better solution.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

My latest Handloader magazine has article with heavy bullets loaded for 1911 45 acp - they were using 300grn from Northwest Custom Projectile (pob 0127 Bute MT 59701)....

I'd say it would be a good choice if the twist works for the loads.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't want to handload anymore.

I want it for plinking.

The choice I see is:

.44 special Cowboy loads or .45 ACP loads.
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

This topic interests me as I don't reload and have no particular urge to do so.

I found 44 Magnum SWC ammo at 950 ft/sec for around 25 cents/shot. Unfortunately SWC cowboy loads are unacceptable to me for fear of vaporized lead buildup.

I will likely use ammo from these guys when my 77/44 gets here:

http://www.georgia-arms.com/pistol.htm (scroll down to 44 mag) -- no price quote yet.

I also found a manufacturer in Washington State willing to load to my specs for 37 cents/shot using new brass in quantities of 1000. So, subsonic 44 is commercially available without paying through the nose for EBR at $1 / shot. I'll likely order a box of GA ammo, if it works well, I'll stick with it. If not, I'll investigate the second option.

-T
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I use Georgia Arms and like them.

.45 ACP subsonic would be about 20 cents a shot.

That carbine is just $299 and has a new barrel.
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

Their 44 MAG are 33c / shot. Im impressed. I'll order up a batch whenever my rifle gets here.

Glad to hear the ammo is good.

-T
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

here ya go Robert. Scroll down a little and you will see they are making a suppressed .45 enfield rifle.

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/#Enfield%20K
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Hey Robert, are you going to buy a complete rifle and build it up with a suppressor? Or are you going to buy the kit? I took a look at Rhinelandarms, and I like the idea of the kit you assemble on a receiver. That would make a great suppressed SBR. I wonder if the Enfield can take .45 Super? I have purchased a Springfield Milspec as a project gun for the .45 Super, and think the Enfield conversion would compliment it nicely.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/#Enfield%20K

These people are building an all ready suppressed version.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

They built 'a' rifle.

I am going to buy the complete rifle for $300, then convert it to an integral. The kit costs almost as much, and then I have to find a rifle.

Actually I am going to have AAC do the custom work. Don't tell anyone.

I don't know if it can take .45 Super. I know the Masuer versoin can, but that does not like to feed hollowpoints. I don't care about .45 super for this because I want a quiet subsonic platform.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

I am going to buy the complete rifle for $300, then convert it to an integral. The kit costs almost as much, and then I have to find a rifle.
I looked on their site, but they did not have the price listed. For $300, it would be hard to beat a complete rifle. I assume that the rifle would come with iron sights already? Can't stand a rifle without iron sights.
I don't know if it can take .45 Super. I know the Masuer versoin can, but that does not like to feed hollowpoints. I don't care about .45 super for this because I want a quiet subsonic platform.
Actually, I was thinking of an unsuppressed version for the .45 Super. If I could have it my way, I would go with a 10-12" barrel. The suppressor would be a muzzle can for max versatility. Of course, as little as they cost, I could buy two.
Actually I am going to have AAC do the custom work. Don't tell anyone.
Your secret is safe with me. :D
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Yes, the entire rifle is $299.98.

I don't think a pistol .45 muzzle can would be quiet enough. You would have to make a long one.

I want a 8-9 inch barrel inside an integral. That will make a Hydroshock go 1000fps (they do 890fps in a 5 inch barrel).

A 12 inch barrel will make a Hydroshock go almost 1100fps. That might start to get loud.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

So AIM surplus as Enfields for $99.

The conversion kits are $160 retail, less dealer.

AIM also has US made Enfields for $180. Matt and I got those.

We will come out a little more than the Century rifles, but they will say US PROPERTY on them.
Quietly-Effectively
Silent But Deadly

Bigger Pic

Post by Quietly-Effectively »

Needs a bigger pic. Cool gun !

mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

rsilvers wrote:So AIM surplus as Enfields for $99.

The conversion kits are $160 retail, less dealer.

AIM also has US made Enfields for $180. Matt and I got those.

We will come out a little more than the Century rifles, but they will say US PROPERTY on them.
So it's a 45acp comversion for a 303 Enfield? Where do you get that?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

In the first post.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Now this looks like a very interesting project, using my fav pistol cartridge, cal. .45 acp.
I hope you keep us informed on your progress and make a little video when your done. :D
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
mpallett

Post by mpallett »

I plan on doing an 8.5" ported barrel with about 12" of baffles after.
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Post by Dark Tranquility »

Check out this one too. Probably going to be much more expensive than the conversions i've seen so far in this post.

http://www.valkyriearms.com/sporter.htm

Dan
mpallett

Post by mpallett »

Dark Tranquility wrote:Check out this one too. Probably going to be much more expensive than the conversions i've seen so far in this post.

http://www.valkyriearms.com/sporter.htm

Dan
That has been up there for years. I don't know if they will ever make them or not.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I bought a semi auto .50 from them once. It broke on the first shot. It was a nightmare. I sold it as a non-working parts gun, although (amazingly) I got about what I paid for it.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

mpallett wrote:I plan on doing an 8.5" ported barrel with about 12" of baffles after.
I'd be curious what a subgun can on end of 16.5 original barrel would do.

I could see my AWC can mounted on end of that barrel factory barrel (TROS UZI adaptor). Looks like they have 45 win mag offered for mauser but not enfield I would have thought both would be strong enough?

You could launch some nice big bullets out of 45wm cases - 400 cast fp at 1000 would be very effective - wonder what twist these have?
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill