Whch design is better to make?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Brake/collar mount or thread mount?

brake/collar
22%
thread mount
78%

Total votes: 23

pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Whch design is better to make?

Post by pneumagger »

Well, neither can is nimble or light. The main difference is that one uses an OPS Inc brake/collar mount and the other uses a 1/2"-28 thread mount.
The thread mount can has an M Blast baffle and the OPS has the integral Muzzle Brake.
Caliber is .223/5.56 and the platform would be a 16" midength AR15.

Other than that... both have a stepped tube wall thickness with .050" inner blast chamber tube and a .0625 outer tube thickness.
I'm planning on welding the endcaps to the outer tube and fully welding the blast components to the blast chamber.
If I make the last 3 baffles out of aluminum I can cut 7oz from either design. No full auto or multiple mag dumps will be done.

I am definitely open to suggestions!

Can A: 10.5"L x 1.750"OD (6.25" extends past muzzle)
304 Stainless - 41oz
SS with some AL - 34oz

Can B: 8.5"L x 1.750"OD
304 Stainless - 38oz
SS with some AL - 31oz

st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

If can A is going over an adapter instead of the end of the barrel the opening around the back of the can will likely have a large gap which would lead me to believe it'd be an inferior design.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Can A is pretty much the same design I used for my AK can. Mines another 1 1/2 inches longer with one more K baffle and the large diameter threads are at the back of the can but other than that same thing. The muzzle extends into the can with the same bushing setup . Works well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeKquXp8gKY
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

st33ve0 wrote:If can A is going over an adapter instead of the end of the barrel the opening around the back of the can will likely have a large gap which would lead me to believe it'd be an inferior design.
The Ops Inc muzzle thread is M22x1 and the rear collar taper is 20 degrees. ;)
Unfortunately, a brake/collar mount set is $180.

pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

YugoRPK wrote:Can A is pretty much the same design I used for my AK can. Mines another 1 1/2 inches longer with one more K baffle and the large diameter threads are at the back of the can but other than that same thing. The muzzle extends into the can with the same bushing setup . Works well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeKquXp8gKY
Video is a tough comparison medium. How do you think the design will fair on an AR15? think it will be quiet with one less baffle?
Also, my can (on CAD) seems very heavy. Does that bother you much?

I'm thinking about ordering the OPS Inc 3 prong Flash Hider and then making my own rear taper.