Where to learn...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Ziess

Where to learn...

Post by Ziess »

Hello All,

This forum is amazing and is really starting to cost me a lot of money. I'd like to learn how to work with metal on a lathe and submit a form 1.

My question is, how did you all learn to use metal lathes? Where can one go to learn? Community College? Find a mentor?

Thanks for helpin' the newb.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Community college night school for me

Post by David Hineline »

My mother was a machinist by trade, old enough to have been a woman in a bomb making factory durring WW2 when the men were all gone off to war, that is where she learned the trade.

I never was interested in it, untill I could not afford to pay to have the work I wanted done on guns. 7yrs of night school just to use thier equipment, when the school closed I had to buy my own.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

A very nice page with alot of stuff about mills and lathes and the operation etc.

www.mini-lathe.com
www.mini-mill.com

Not the large stuff, but alot of good info befor you buy a lathe and how to do the main functions.

Otherwise i recomend a handbook, there's alot of em out there..

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

Ziess

Post by Ziess »

Looks like my local Community College has machining classes. Only $225 for 11 weeks 4 hours a week. I'm going to give that a shot and see if I want to continue. Thanks for all the links
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

Ziess wrote:Looks like my local Community College has machining classes. Only $225 for 11 weeks 4 hours a week. I'm going to give that a shot and see if I want to continue. Thanks for all the links
Zeiss,

Tell us how the class comes along :)

Frank
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

- Ernest Hemingway, April 1936
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Learn how to run a lathe!!

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

You can learn at one of the NRA's Summer Schools! They have week (40hr) long classes. I know that most have classes for lathe work for the novice! Here is some info for you. Also a local college will work, however the NRA schools are geared towards what you want. Learn how to thread your barrel for your can and be around gun loving folks. Hope this helps you!

PS better hurry these classes fill up rather fast!!!

GUNSMITHING & LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORY SCHOOLS IN THE US
Have you ever been interested in taking an introductory Gunsmithing course to see if you would like to attend Gunsmithing School on a full-time basis? Are you interested in learning how to accurize your custom 1911 45 pistol? Are you an Armorer for a Law Enforcement Agency who would like to attend a Beretta Factory Class? The NRA Short-term Gunsmithing School courses would be ideal for you. These seminar type courses are typically offered during the spring and summer months, and range from several days to several weeks in length. Attend courses given by qualified instructors at the participating college location. Please note: this is not a degree program and you will not receive college credits for the course; however, you will receive a certificate indicating that you completed the class.

Men and women ages 18 and over can select from a variety of classes. The charges vary according to the course being offered. Many of the schools offer on-campus housing and meals at a reasonable rate or provide you with information on local housing or nearby camping facilities.

For more information and a packet of course curricula for the Spring and Summer 2005 sessions, contact Janet Boyer at NRA's Education and Training Division at either [email protected] or (703) 267-1412.

The following schools have long term (2 year) and short term (1-2 weeks) Gunsmithing Classes

Murray State College
Mr. Dean Arnold, Coordinator
1100 South Murray
Tishomingo, OK 73460
(580) 371-2371, ext. 235

Trinidad State Junior College
Mr. Patrick Blake, Coordinator
600 Prospect
Campus Box 319
Trinidad, CO 81082
(719) 846-5631

Montgomery Community College
Mr. Wayne Bernauer, Coordinator
1011 Page Street
Troy, NC 27371
(910) 576-6222

Lassen Community College
Mr. Steve Taylor, Coordinator
Highway 139
P.O. Box 3000
Susanville, CA 96130
(530) 251-8800
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks for sharing. I knew about those schools, but I didn't know about the 1-2 week long classes.

Frank
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

- Ernest Hemingway, April 1936
garry

Post by garry »

South Bend puts out a book called "How to run a lathe". The book costs
very little. I bought the book and South Bend 10k and learned that way.
Good Luck