22 can ideas

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

camoxjeep
Silent But Deadly

22 can ideas

Post by camoxjeep »

Been thinking really hard on the route I want to go for a 22 can for my ar. Already have the tube, aluminum and was thinking of maybe some poly (some people might know what I'm talking about), we have different colors here at work and blue being the hardest might work great for a 22. Plus it not being steel/aluminum could even dampen some noise like shooting "wet". I while back I made a fake can with a hole through it just to see what a can would look like on my AR and shot a few rounds of 223 through it and it didnt "melt" or anything that would show signs of anything else. of course no baffles so and straight through hole so no real pressure buildup. I think this could work for 22 just fine. anyone else try this?
RX7-2nr
Silent But Deadly

Post by RX7-2nr »

have you ever shot a real suppressor on a 223? they get EXTREMELY hot after only a few rounds. sometimes so hot that the mirage can be seen through the sights.

if you had the right kind of plastic you could do it, but erosion would probably be a problem pretty quick.
camoxjeep
Silent But Deadly

Post by camoxjeep »

yes I have, m4-2000. But it wont be 223 but 22. So def not as much heat/pressure as a 223.
evert

Post by evert »

here in norway one of our silencermanufacturers uses molded plastic baffels for his 22lr cans. he builds both long (about 10") and short(abuot 5") muzzle cans, and some very quiet internals as well.

the baffels are just a piece of tube with a slanted wall with a centerhole, but seem to work very well.

they dont stand up to the muzzlebalst of a .22 pistol, but they work well on rifles.
RX7-2nr
Silent But Deadly

Post by RX7-2nr »

i see, when you said AR- i figured 223.

ive seen a monolithic core 22lr suppressor, where the core was made from a Delrin rod. it was put inside a standard Al tube. not sure how well the Delrin held up, but i remember seeing pics of it disassembled after some firing. looked good.
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zesohoN98Nk

invisiblescarecrow's review of the SAK with the delrin monolithic stack on an airgun... I think a few of the other European air rifle and rimfire cans have plastic internals. No reason your Form 1 rig couldn't.
I have considered building a simple large diameter M baffle can using 40mm plastic casings (kalikraven probably still has a ton of these) with the rims turned off for a .22 can for and AR. Use an aluminum tube with a relatively thin wall as the entire length of it would be sleeved by the 40mm cases. Only issue would be the rather large aperture necessary from reaming out where the not always centered .38 blanks used to reside in the 40mm cases. Since it would be a Form 1 I could always make aluminum bushings to reduce that hole size if desired.
Just need to get into another machine shop class for access to a lathe and send off the Form 1.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to build.