Opinions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

257speed
Silent Operator

Opinions

Post by 257speed »

I am better with a lathe and mill than with the pen. But I wanted some opinions of this design for a 7WSM / .308. OD is 1.5", overall length is 12.25". Full titanium build. Will most likely change the angle of the cone and shorten the space in between to ad another baffle. For the most part, can will be fully welded, no threading except for the barrel atachment. Getting ready to send in my form 1 and trying to nail down a design.

1st response: Barrel will be stepped down ahead of the bearing surface, giving about .050" clearance (enough?). I could try and figure out a way to make the blast baffle out of stainless. Would have to figure out how to hold it in place, since my original thought was to weld it in place and help setup the rest of the stack.

Thanks, Jerry

Last edited by 257speed on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

I think that the crud is going to buid up quickly onto the barrel of the over the barrel design, causing it to be hard to remove your slip fit end of your silencer. Titanium is not going to hold up well to the heat of the blast on the first baffle.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
257speed
Silent Operator

Post by 257speed »

Updated with response.
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

I have a similar design in progress for a 22LR with less baffles. In my project the "threaded attachment spacer" and (what I call) the "alignment end cap" are machined from a piece of solid aluminum bar so that there is an inner tube to the expansion chamber that fits over the barrel. The outer tube then slides over the "threaded attachment spacer" and meets the "alignment end cap" as per your design.

Since the "alignment end cap" is made in one piece with the "threaded attachment spacer" I think the "alignment end cap" can be used to screw the can into position on the thread. There will be no need to secure the "threaded attachment spacer" to the outer tube.

Because it is for the 22 my baffle system is much simpler so the projection beyond the end of the barrel is about 3 inches.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

The baffle design is a good design. Be aware that it is also patented by SWR.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
257speed
Silent Operator

Post by 257speed »

bakerjw wrote:The baffle design is a good design. Be aware that it is also patented by SWR.
I saw where someone had received permission to form 1 this design. I will attempt to do the same.
jonharoy
Elite Member

Re: Opinions

Post by jonharoy »

257speed wrote: Getting ready to send in my form 1 and trying to nail down a design.

Thanks, Jerry
You don't need a design to send in a form 1. :D
257speed
Silent Operator

Re: Opinions

Post by 257speed »

jonharoy wrote:
257speed wrote: Getting ready to send in my form 1 and trying to nail down a design.

Thanks, Jerry
You don't need a design to send in a form 1. :D
Yes, I understand, just trying to nail it down so I can finalize my overall length.
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

Nice looking suppressor !! I believe my first suppressor will be for a 7.62x39, basically same thing. Less blast pressure , I think.
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

Yes, I understand, just trying to nail it down so I can finalize my overall length.
You don't need that either. N/A is what I use.
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

jmorris wrote:
You don't need that either. N/A is what I use.
Yep
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

257speed wrote:
bakerjw wrote:The baffle design is a good design. Be aware that it is also patented by SWR.
I saw where someone had received permission to form 1 this design. I will attempt to do the same.
I think you might want to contact SWR or email Matt and kindly ask for permission?

Just a suggestion!

Peace, MG Matt
07/02 FFL-SOT
257speed
Silent Operator

Post by 257speed »

Believe I had stated I was going to.
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

257speed wrote:Believe I had stated I was going to.
My Bad!
07/02 FFL-SOT
featherblue
Silent But Deadly

Post by featherblue »

David Hineline wrote:I think that the crud is going to buid up quickly onto the barrel of the over the barrel design, causing it to be hard to remove your slip fit end of your silencer. Titanium is not going to hold up well to the heat of the blast on the first baffle.
Wow! We run titanium exhaust valves in engines that run WOT for three hours at 1450 degrees F. What is the gas temp at the muzzle of a typical rifle? :?: Please educate me. :shock:
Do you love your country?

Will you fight to keep it?

If answers are yes, better be prepared . . .
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

featherblue wrote:
David Hineline wrote:I think that the crud is going to buid up quickly onto the barrel of the over the barrel design, causing it to be hard to remove your slip fit end of your silencer. Titanium is not going to hold up well to the heat of the blast on the first baffle.
Wow! We run titanium exhaust valves in engines that run WOT for three hours at 1450 degrees F. What is the gas temp at the muzzle of a typical rifle? :?: Please educate me. :shock:
Barrels go red hot, moving towards orange or yellow, so that means the flash or source of heat has to be higher than that, I would say well into white hot from the looks of flash.

So go ahead built your silencer from titanium.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAwrmOapb4Image
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
257speed
Silent Operator

Post by 257speed »

I appreciate everyone's input. Is the consensus that the titanium blast plate will or will not hold up? Again, this will be fired on a precision bolt gun, never semi or full.
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Now that I've made an 'over the barrel' can for a centerfire I don't think this is going to be an issue unless you go a *long* time between removal (and maybe not even then). My can is getting little more than soot on the barrel after 20-30 rounds - certainly nothing that would impede removing it. Situation is different if you were building a rimfire can, of course.

I'd make the first baffle out of stainless - I don't know about Titanium, it might work, but I have confidence that stainless would work in a non-FA can.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
www.hevanet.com/50shooter
JamShot

Post by JamShot »

What I've learned about using titanium (GR5) in muzzle brakes for IPSC rifles I could say that it wins all stainless and tool steels hands down what comes to erosion.

For instance stainless brake was worn out 50% of the material with 6000 round .223 with 16" barrel but GR5 titanium less than 30% with double the ammo. With .308 and 7.62x39 even stainless did very well and there were no need for using titanium. And IPSC is hell for a muzzle brake. ;)

42CroMo 4-tool steel and 5000 .223 rounds.
Murphy was an optimist!
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Interesting! That's win-win if it's tougher and lighter. Are you making your own brake, or are these commercial brakes?

GsT
50 BMG Site:
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

257speed wrote:I appreciate everyone's input. Is the consensus that the titanium blast plate will or will not hold up? Again, this will be fired on a precision bolt gun, never semi or full.
I would say Ti will be fine for your blast baffle on a bolt gun. The grade 5 Ti muzzle brake and blast baffle in my .50 bmg can show no signs of wear or erosion yet.
JamShot

Post by JamShot »

GeneT wrote:Interesting! That's win-win if it's tougher and lighter. Are you making your own brake, or are these commercial brakes?

GsT
DIY. Otherwise it would be hard to compare wide selection of materials with same brake design. ;)
(Who would find it commercially profitable to spend a lot time slowly milling a muzzle brake that spits (terrifying) white sparks with short barrel and trying to catch recoil and flames with hi-speed camera just for sake of difference about 0.01 second in keeping sight picture on target? :D )

...Found a better pair of pics. Desing is different because of the dimension rules in standard:
Testing stainless SharkBrake:

...after testing:
Murphy was an optimist!
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Very cool. I've been meaning to try a shark-style brake on my AR's for a while now. How'd you like it for performance?

Give up on the camera - your shot timer and the target should tell you all that's important...

GsT
50 BMG Site:
JamShot

Post by JamShot »

GeneT wrote:Very cool. I've been meaning to try a shark-style brake on my AR's for a while now. How'd you like it for performance?

Give up on the camera - your shot timer and the target should tell you all that's important...

GsT
I guess we're starting to drift towards OT but:

True, timer is the final word, but Casio EX-F1 can give hints about balanced chamber holes better than Aimpoint dot trail against the dark and to see if recoil is up'n'down or straight back. Stable back and forth rifle is better than down pushing when you might get into a situation where rifle is upside down or tilted on wrong shoulder.

This season I had SharkBrake in open too. That should tell enough. :D A slight modification in design can be seen as well as temporary extended sight radius. I must give you a warning though. It blows dust on low bipods but less than Miculec. For dust problem I used this, but it was too dominating in mass at the end of 18" barrel with targets far apart from each others.

...Reason for camera is that I like the flaming brake pics! :oops: Q: Which one is wasting more gases forward? ;)

Murphy was an optimist!
featherblue
Silent But Deadly

Post by featherblue »

David Hineline wrote:
featherblue wrote:
Barrels go red hot, moving towards orange or yellow, so that means the flash or source of heat has to be higher than that, I would say well into white hot from the looks of flash.

So go ahead built your silencer from titanium.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAwrmOapb4Image
How hot is hot?

Melting point of 321 SS = 2600 deg F

Melting point of 6Al4V Titanium = 3200 deg F

I think your barrel will wilt and sag to the ground before the Ti can will even start to "warm-up"!! :D
Do you love your country?

Will you fight to keep it?

If answers are yes, better be prepared . . .