408 cheytac can- (updated with range report) 4/10/09

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

:idea: ******************Deleted************** :idea:
Last edited by CanNotHear on Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

That can is cold blooded.

Amazing job for a homemade can. Simply amazing.
NFAtalk.org
locked&loaded

Post by locked&loaded »

I think the upgraded profile looks great. Sure was a shame to get rid of those sweet welds. At least you have the pics. Nice work... Very nice work... Wish I had the resources to turn one out like that for my Barrett. Who am I kidding? I'd like to be able to put a can like that on every weapon I own.. :P
Guns have only two enemies... Rust and Politicians.
TACTICAL FIREARM FINISHES
DURACOAT Certified Finisher
01 FFL
www.tacticalfirearmfinishes.com
[img]http://www.tacticalfirearmfinishes.com/Hidesig.jpg[/img]
rotortuner
Silent Operator

Post by rotortuner »

I read this thread a few months ago. very nice to see the results. Your can seemed pretty streight forward and not that difficult to make. A buddy of mine has a machine shop that i could easily build a similar can in for my windrunner. I do have a couple questions though.

What was the dia you used for the holes through the baffles? Just curious how much room you allowed for the dia of the bullet vs the dia of the holes in the baffles?

Also, do you remember what the outside dia of the baffles were? and the outside dia of the can? with that i can tell exactly what schedule and stuff that material was. you said OD was 2" in your first post, but 1.5" NPS actuall has a OD of 1.9". maybe im just splitting hairs, but i would like to know exactl what material that is.

Also very interested to hear what type of POI shift your getting and accuracy affects. I doubt your poi is that much but would be curiouse.
Thanks and that can is awesome, now time to get my Form 1 going! When do you start on your 50 can?

CJG
Last edited by rotortuner on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOLA

awesome

Post by NOLA »

great job......... how long did the form take?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

rototuner

The hole size I used is 31/64 you can easily get this drill bit size. The inner dia of the tube is 1.8225
Here are some baffle shots before I cut allot of material off the back to thin them out and side cut the front to divert gas.

Accuracy has not suffered. Here is a 3 shot group at 100 yards.I have not done any Point of shift test yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
rotortuner
Silent Operator

Post by rotortuner »

Very good. thanks for the info. that answeres most of my innitial questions. I think I am going to try and roughly duplicate your design for my windrunner m96. How did the recoil feal? any perceptable difference?

CJG
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

I really didn't feel any difference. It's nice not to have the muzzle blast and not to have ear muffs.
rotortuner
Silent Operator

Post by rotortuner »

Above you said, those pics were before you cut into the backs, and also side cut. what do you mean by sidecut?

Also, in that pic, your caliper shows the thickness of the baffle as just under .5", but in the previouse pics at the end of page 1, the baffles look like they are about 1"-1.5" thick. whas this just a test one, or maybe your blast baffle or something before you turned it down?

CJG
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

there are 5 baffles then the end cap. The first and last are like the one above. the 3 middle ones are taller and wider.Like this (this is before I removed material from the back) I made the baffles thick so they would not "cant" in the tube then removed material off the back to make it lighter but left the "edge" thick so it would not cant. With long cones I didn't want any canting and thought the thick edge would help with this.
By side cutting I mean something like this
See how part of the lip is removed to divert the gas sideways in the next camber? I took an end mill and went down 1/4 inch and went sideways to remove some material. So you have a concept something like this
endri12345
Silent Operator

Post by endri12345 »

jimmym40a2 wrote: By side cutting I mean something like this
From which can are this baffles? If I remember correctly the old Cyclone used K-baffles like these..
rotortuner
Silent Operator

Post by rotortuner »

OK, so you just side cut the center hole, where the bullet passes? And did you cut it at the 45 degrees like the one in the pic?

CJG
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

I had the baffle laying flat in the endmill and put a drill (flat not round nose a hair smaller than the hole) in it and put it about 1/4 down in the hole then turned it on and moved straight out to the side.This put a slot that sends the gas at an angle to the next baffle.

same concept as this

Contra-007

Post by Contra-007 »

Didnt think about using the collar?

I would have used the collar and made a tube that fits all the way back for the blast chamber, like a reflex or like the SPR/M4 design.............

BTW I love the work you've done, and I'm about to start machining work very soon as soon as my application gets put back in 'GO' status.
gaucho1
Silent Operator

Post by gaucho1 »

Best building post in the last six months bump of love.

8)
rotortuner
Silent Operator

Post by rotortuner »

Ya, after reading this thread, its what motivated me to file my first F1. I just got the F1 back last week. Now I am trying to decide between building a can along these lines for my .50 or do a more complicated back over the barrel design. I am leaning towards this one though, I think it would be way simpler for a first can, and the design has been kinda proven on this here 408.

CJG
rotortuner
Silent Operator

Post by rotortuner »

is there any way to get these photos back?

CJG
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

the pictures are still in my photobucket account but I have maxed it out (53 pages of photos) and they said it will "reset soon"and you will be able to see them again.
rotortuner
Silent Operator

Post by rotortuner »

OK thanks, can i see your pics on photo bucket if i just have you screan name?
My friend is finally getting the motor replaced in his lathe so we might finally attempt one of these here in the next month or so. Any new news on your can? have you used it a lot in the last 6 mons or so? Any comments from onlookers on how it sounds?

CJG
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Jimmy, how did you come up with your spacing?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Just kind of looked at the blue xray picture above and approximated it to the size of my can.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

HAHAHAHA damn you are good.
midcountygunshop
Silent Operator

Post by midcountygunshop »

I am soooooo jealous! That is one awsome package you have there. Excellent work on your can!
the gman

Post by the gman »

Seriously cool. :D Good job on the can & thanks for the build info. Oh & remind me never to piss you off, I don't think I'd survive either the Chey Tac or the hand to hand stuff....... :shock:
God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots - Voltaire.
tjonh2001

Post by tjonh2001 »

that is sweet im starting my first form 1 on my 338lapua.how thick of metal did you use?