.45 caliber suppressor for M1911A1 pistol

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

.45 caliber suppressor for M1911A1 pistol

Post by LavaRed »

Good evening gentlement. I planning to build a suppressor for an M1911A1 pistol. So far, I have these two designs in mind:

Overall length is 8.125", OD is 1.5" for either. Either would be of all steel construction and weight approximately 15.2 oz.

Which one do you think would be better to construct?
Thanks,
LavaRed
formula156
Silent Operator

Re: .45 caliber suppressor for M1911A1 pistol

Post by formula156 »

Is a Nielsen devise/booster not necessary on a 1911?

Looks like there are a couple ribs or something that hold the baffles in place (2nd pic). Are they going to be pressed?

EDIT: looks like 2 pins that align them, in the last picture.
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Post by RavenArmament »

I've read that in a 1911 you can lower the hammer spring weight and you won't need a booster. I have no experience with it.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Re: .45 caliber suppressor for M1911A1 pistol

Post by LavaRed »

formula156 wrote:Is a Nielsen devise/booster not necessary on a 1911?

Looks like there are a couple ribs or something that hold the baffles in place (2nd pic). Are they going to be pressed?

EDIT: looks like 2 pins that align them, in the last picture.
In the first design, I was thinking about making the rods thin (1/8") throughout, and welding the baffles to the rods, and the rods to the endcap.

In the second design, I am thinking of making the rods thicker (1/4"), with 1/8" diameter cutouts, where the baffles would be held in place. Then the rods would be screwed onto the endcap, and the blast baffle held onto the rods by nuts. However, because of the thickness of the rods there is hardly any practical space for the "flower cones" like in the first design. Also note that the first has 0.5" diameter at the baffle holes, whereas the second design has 0.6" diameter, with onlu the blast baffle of 0.5" diameter. Baffle spacing is approximately 1/2"; I do not know if this is optimal or even practical. My 9mm suppressors spaced at 1" worked well, but I desire to better their record this time around.
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

I would expect the cones to work better. That's about all I can say.

I honestly don't know how to deal with a tilt barrel design. I've heard of the Neilson Device / Booster of course. But I don't know the details about it yet or how it works.

I also don't know how far the barrel has tilted before the bullet exits. My understanding is that it is long gone. How many feet away it is when the breach starts to unlock is also a mystery to me.

I assume you know these little details to design the baffle clearances.
RX7-2nr
Silent But Deadly

Post by RX7-2nr »

its either going to have to be exceptionally lightweight or have a booster.

the only 45 pistol suppressor that i know of without a booster is the gemtech blackside, and it weighs 5 ounces. ive still heard stories about them not working 100%.

SWR HEMS2- 10.5 oz
AAC Evo45- 11.2 oz
YHM Cobra- 11.5 oz
KAC Mk23- 15.2 oz

i got those numbers in a quick search, if something is off by a tenth or two, it wasnt on purpose to try to sabotage someone.