Taking the plunge

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Rifleshooter2

Taking the plunge

Post by Rifleshooter2 »

OK it's settled as soon as I get back from this deployment I'm starting the Form 1 paperwork to construct a .22 suppressor for my P22. This will ber my first suppressor. I've decided on an aluminum tube and internals with K baffles. My questions is do I need to anodize or coat the internals with something or will the baffles be ok in the white?

Andy
USAF Security Forces
shotgundrums
Silent But Deadly

Post by shotgundrums »

Do the ATF application NOW. When you get back, you'll be able to start building your can... Make the internals out of steel. It'll be heavier, but the benefits will outweigh the cost...then, who gives a s--t if they're coated. And to answer your question; no, the don't need to be. If you use harsh chemicals to removed heavy lead, it'll more-than-likely jack up the finish anyway.
Stay safe
Rifleshooter2

Post by Rifleshooter2 »

I thought about doing the paperwork here but I still need my CLEO to sign the Form #1.
Andy
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Most units have JAG lawyers around to do Wills, Living Wills, Powers of Attorney etc. They usually have a lot of free time during deployments OCONUS. See if one of them can help you draft a trust. Also, unless you're really out in BFE, you should have access to a laptop, in which case you could draft a Trust using Quicken WIllmaker. No worries with a CLEO signoff that way.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Rifleshooter2

Post by Rifleshooter2 »

I never though about the JAG. I have heard that using Quicken could cause some problems because it's not really set up for NFA stuff. Another site I was on rased doubt about about the whole Trust issue, they seem to think that there is a possability that the ATF could decide in the future not to honor the Trust. I'm not sure this is a real worry but I'm a belt and supenders kind of guy, and from what I understand the CLEO signature is the tried and true method, as long as he is willing to sign.

Andy