Lathe Accident: WARNING NSWE, very graphic

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cal50
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lathe Accident: WARNING NSWE, very graphic

Post by cal50 »

A co-worker was running a lathe and his shop apron got caught in the lead screw. Its relatively slow compared to the spindle and it ripped his apron off pretty quickly. One minute he was working in front of me and in an instant he was standing there topless ( no shirt or apron ) and lots of red marks on him.

Rotating spindles are UN-forgiving for clothing , jewelry or hair.
Branded for life, in more ways than one
windchaser

Post by windchaser »

cal50 wrote:A co-worker was running a lathe and his shop apron got caught in the lead screw. Its relatively slow compared to the spindle and it ripped his apron off pretty quickly. One minute he was working in front of me and in an instant he was standing there topless ( no shirt or apron ) and lots of red marks on him.

Rotating spindles are UN-forgiving for clothing , jewelry or hair.
When i was in tin bending school years ago the welding shop was the next shop over. One day we heard a scream of pain and others screaming. We went over to Find a young student running around with blood squirting from his right hand, we grabbed him and called for the nurse. He was using a large grinding wheel and moved the guard back away from the wheel were he was grinding on a piece of heavy metal. The metal got tilted in and so did his thumb. He lost is whole thumb on his right hand past the second joint. Lessen to be learned from this one. Safety First.
Acadian

Post by Acadian »

Hi folks,

I ran across this forum as I was searching for more details about the place/date of the previously posted lathe accident photos. I still haven't found that info yet as I became caught up in figuring out what lathe machine it was the fellow was realed into. After having read this older thread I thought I'd return, register and share the info that I found (hopefully I can upload a few photos as well)

Turns out (no pun intended) that it is a:

Stanko-Import Model IM63 Gap Bed Centre Lathe
Capacity: Max Dia Swing 660mm x 3000mm B.C. Speeds 10 to 1250RPM.
Spindle Bore 70mm. S/No 1991
With 510mm Dia 4 Jaw Chuck.
Rapid Traverse to the Saddle.
4 Way Tool Post.
3 Point Fixed Steady & Coolant.
Metric Lead Screw

In keeping with machining standards, check the following out:
The man was a 58 year old, skilled Fitter and Turner, was wearing multiple layers of clothing, semi loose clothing at that, anyway it caught his right arm in the part and pulled him face first into the chuck and tool post (once catching his shirt), basically wedging his right shoulder between to cross slide/ tool post and the chuck. Fellow employees said that the machine got shut down within 10 seconds of the guy getting his clothing caught but it was way too late. The guy had been a machinist for 12 plus years and had never had any previous lost time accidents, in the end the investigation found out that the man was probably complacent, and felt over confident in his job, and allowed himself to get to close to the spinning part.

Another tid-bit of info where someone did the math on how quickly this may have happened:
500ft/min to reel in 2 ft of clothing, about 0.25 seconds then to be climb milled by a 16" 3 jaw with a surface speed of 2000 ft /min. Scary and messy but probably quick, not much opportunity for a second chance with this equipment.

-----

I'm not in the machining industry but I thought some of you folks that are in it might be interested in this additional info and photos of the same lathe.

Pic 1: Image

Pic 2: Image

Pic 3: Image

Pic 4: Image

Cheers all and stay safe on those machines. :)