Wipes material question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Wipes material question

Post by LavaRed »

My future Mk. 45 can will have a single wipe module at the end, that is, the option to install a single wipe 1/8" thick.

I am currently going to make the wipes from old tire tube rubber, however, I have a few questions:

1) Would leather be a good wipe material?

2) How would a composite Leather/rubber wipe work?

3) Is there anything other than rubber that would make for good wipes? How about gasket-making cardboard? Or plastic from old notebooks' covers? PVC sheets? Some sort of fabric?

4) What is the best option for wipes?

Thanks,
LavaRed
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Golf_1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Golf_1911 »

I think you may need frequency change wipe if you use rubber.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

The wipes that I am familiar with were used in a Ciener(?) hushpuppy suppressor on a 45. MAC10. They were a rubber substance. Worked well for 500-600 rounds and then began to degrade pretty rapidly. With a suppressor the MAC was quiet but the accuracy wasn't anything to write home about. Within 15 feet it would hit a 6 inch target. Come to think about it, the point of aim accuracy wasn't really very good with or without the suppressor. Application at short distances was awsome though.

Anyway....the wipes were some kind of rubber. You might just try different materials to see if you can get a better suppression.

Not sure if making wipes falls into the manufacturing of suppressor internals or not though. Maybe someone with better understanding in that area willl help.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

OH.....I see your location now. Never mind on the legality issues. :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

You need to use polyurethane rubber sheet, with a Durometer Hardness of 80 Shores (that's what Berreta used in there version of the Hush Puppy for the M9). If I remember correctly, someone posted in an older thread that MSC carries polyurethane sheets.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Thank you very much for your answers gentlemen.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
ninoslavt

Post by ninoslavt »

It's my first post and I know, my english sucks, so don't be hard on me guys.
LavaRed, it's possible to use leather soaked in oil. It's been used on some old suppressors, and I'm quite sure that nobody use it anymore. Long time ago I used thick rubber. It's been ok (quiet), but accuracy was poor, as you can assume. But, at that time it wasn't big deal for me. Later I used polyurethane on my M-70 Beretta (32 acp) and accuracy improved significantly. Now I use only one polyurethane washer (last one) and system of k baffles and I'm very satisfied.
Hope this helped you.
Born to be wild!
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I know this is a US company, and I don't know if they ship down your way or not, but here is the front wipe material for the new Thompson Machine mini 9mm silencer:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8568k615/=4ijt3g

Video of the silencer and wipes are here:

viewtopic.php?t=48315

They have many other types as well.