Square Bores?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

redleg11b
Silent But Deadly

Square Bores?

Post by redleg11b »

Saw something on Liberty Suppressor's site about having a square bore. Anybody else doing this or are most companies still doing R&D on it? I'm assuming the benefit is retarding gas flow more, but does it also have the same effect as having a can overbored for the caliber and slightly increase noise? Or is that problem corrected for with a correct caliber end cap? Just heard of this today after being offline for a while. Thanks for info.
Don't fight to survive or you have already lost. Fight to WIN!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The square bore is just the shape of the baffle design and they are trying to use it as a marketing tool and yes in theory the square edges allow gas blow by.Ask your grandpa about( blue coal )another marketing ploy.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Square Bores?

Post by JasonAAC »

redleg11b wrote:Anybody else doing this or are most companies still doing R&D on it?
I can speak that we're not doing R&D on it and i doubt anyone else is.

While there are an infinite number of subtleties to baffle designs, one thing is pretty clear- the tighter the bore around the bullet, the better the reduction. Making a square bore for a round projectile simply lets more gas pass along with it- like shooting a 9mm through a 45 silencer.

If we could build a 5.56 can with a .225 bore and still avoid strikes, that would be awesome.
Kick Ass Design
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Yeah, a square of a given minimum radius will have greater area (and thus greater gas blowby) than a circle with a given minimum radius.

Plus creating square bore holes sound expensive!
roberbr22
Silent Operator

Post by roberbr22 »

How much larger do you typically bore over the size of the bullet?
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

roberbr22 wrote:How much larger do you typically bore over the size of the bullet?
Use the search function to check out the silencersmithing section. There is a ton of great information available, including caliber-specific guidance.
redleg11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by redleg11b »

So my first inclination was correct then :wink: Thanks for confirming.
Don't fight to survive or you have already lost. Fight to WIN!
kbuck20

Wow

Post by kbuck20 »

:shock: Uh oh, not to sure its just a marketing tool. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e881i3yP ... Va9-acZa8w
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I won't do it because cracks will more easily form in the corners than they would on a round hole.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

rsilvers wrote:I won't do it because cracks will more easily form in the corners than they would on a round hole.
Good call Robert. Greeno did that hexagonal bore hole on the endcap for tightening and removal of his 5.56 can. When I heard it was the whole bore I pointed this out to him as well. I don't think he quite got it.