Does a form 1 need the caliber or can N/A be used? UPDATE

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mg81
Silent But Deadly

Does a form 1 need the caliber or can N/A be used? UPDATE

Post by mg81 »

Has anyone tired to not specify the caliber, but instead put in N/A like is done with the length?

Does ATF care about the caliber if they don't care about the length as long as the silencer is properly marked and serial numbered?

I would like to send in a few form 1's while there is a sheriff in office who is helpful and willing to sign, but I am not sure what I will want my future projects to be.

If you have to list something, how broad can you be? One of mine is 9mm, .44, .45 on the same form. Could I put on .17 caliber and the fact that the hole is big enough for a .50 bmg be fine. "Because I am a cautious builder who does not trust my alignment abilities."

Certainly more than one can listed as 9mm has a hole big enough for a .45 if the alignment is good.
Last edited by mg81 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: Does a form 1 need the caliber specified or can N/A be u

Post by Diomed »

mg81 wrote:Does ATF care about the caliber if they don't care about the length as long as the silencer is properly marked and serial numbered?
Yes, they care. They need to know the length and the caliber so they can know if you've changed it, which they do not like happening.
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Post by mg81 »

Please correct me if I am wrong or if some rule has changed, but I have read on many posts on this site that for a form 1 silencer you don't have to list a specific length, just N/A.
257speed
Silent Operator

Post by 257speed »

you do not need to put the length, but it does have to have the caliber
gvotuc

Post by gvotuc »

How do you get around this if they don't know what length it WAS ?

"Increasing the length of the outer tube significantly affects the performance of the silencer and results in the "making" of a new silencer."
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

My first form 1 went through with no length. My thinking is how can you measure something you were not supposed to have made yet. Could be a trap, you specify 6" OAL and it ends up being 6.125" could they say you made a different can and you be in violation? I think they give from 1ers a little more lattitude on manufacturing, but what keeps someone from making several cans and using the serial # they submitted on the F1? OR making several SBR lowers and using 1 S/N for all of them (taking into account the lowers were not serialized to begin with)
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

Not to rain on anyone's parade but for a moment I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate & call the ATF:

Me; Good afternoon, I was calling to see if it's necessary to specify an overall length on my F1 for a silencer build.
ATF; Let me make sure I understand this. It's your design & your not sure how long it's going to be?
Me; Well, yeah. I really not sure how long it's going to end up being.
ATF; Mmm, let me check with the section chief about this. Please hold...
Brief pause
ATF; Sir, I've been advised you are free to submit the form as you please. Upon receipt it will be logged, reviewed & processed accordingly.

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I have three form 1's without the length being filled in. My first one I did call the ATF and asked what needed to be filled in and what did not. The lady did tell me that the length was for sbr's and sbs's and not for suppressors. Now that was back around 1998 or so and I know things at ATF tend to change. . . Hope it has not changed cause I sent in a Form 1 last month without the length filled in.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I have three form 1's without the length being filled in. My first one I did call the ATF and asked what needed to be filled in and what did not. The lady did tell me that the length was for sbr's and sbs's and not for suppressors. Now that was back around 1998 or so and I know things at ATF tend to change. . . Hope it has not changed cause I sent in a Form 1 last month without the length filled in.
Hmm. That is quite a few and suggests it was not an oversight.
dvanncvann
Silent But Deadly

Post by dvanncvann »

I also have three that were approved with n/a as the length.
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Post by mg81 »

I was pretty sure that putting N/A for the length was and is still fine, I have seen many threads on the N/A for length question in this forum.

I wanted to know if anyone had actually tried to put N/A for the caliber. I don't want to sound like a jerk, it is just when it comes to ATF questions there are a lot of "my dealer told me" and "my brother-in law's cousin told me" answers.

I just did not want to waste the time to send a form 1 in filled out with N/A for both length and caliber if it has already been tried. If not, I will give it a try.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Eight forms approved without length filled in so far. As my silencers rarely come off of the lathe looking exactly like what I had on paper when the ATF form is submitted, I will continue to leave that block as N/A unless a length is required to be specified in the future.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
gvotuc

Post by gvotuc »

I would submit.. They may have just come to their senses.

This was just posted for a rejected Form 1 can application due to N/A in OAL section.

viewtopic.php?t=54943
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

gvotuc wrote:I would submit.. They may have just come to their senses.

This was just posted for a rejected Form 1 can application due to N/A in OAL section.

viewtopic.php?t=54943
This may be new. I will post on wheather my Form 1 gets "errored" that I sent in last month without the length being submitted.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I have a form 1 pending since 12/18/2009 with length as N/A. Will let you all know.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Post by mg81 »

Ranb, three months for a form 1, has that generally been your experience?
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

They have all taken 3-6 months.

Ranb
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by L1A1Rocker »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
gvotuc wrote:I would submit.. They may have just come to their senses.

viewtopic.php?t=54943
This may be new. I will post on wheather my Form 1 gets "errored" that I sent in last month without the length being submitted.
Got it today. It was approved.
Fritcat

Post by Fritcat »

OK, what about caliber?
Fritzcat
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Fritcat wrote:OK, what about caliber?
I have an approved Form 1 with .308/8mm in the calibier box.
CrossfireRacerx

Post by CrossfireRacerx »

what should I put if I plan to use it on .22lr, .22 mag, .17hmr, and .17hm2? Just put all 4?
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
killerone

Post by killerone »

can you mark as multi caliber? some form 4's I have seen have had this such as sear packs
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

IIRC somebody on here had one denied for putting multiple calibers? I just put the biggest caliber on mine, It was for a .22 but Its used most on my .17hmr.
I put .22 on the form, the batf does not regulate what firearms you can put it on, just the building specs. I suppose they want to know the caliber just so you can't bore it out in the future to use on a bigger rifle, just like they want a length so they can make sure you don't make it longer in the future.
As for how much bigger or smaller the hole can be than listed I am no help.. would be good to know though!
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

killerone wrote:can you mark as multi caliber? some form 4's I have seen have had this such as sear packs
You must pick a caliber and engrave the tube with that caliber.

Write that caliber on the registration form.