Running 220 Swift through 7.62x39 die

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Running 220 Swift through 7.62x39 die

Post by widlin1 »

I was just wondering if anyone has run 220 Swift brass through a 7.62x39 resizing die so that they get better extraction using a standard bolt face. The web on the 220 is only 0.002 over the Russian round so I would think resizing woudl work well. I ask because I have been thinking of making a switch barrel rifle and would be nice to have a small/medium case capacity .30 cal and that fit the bolt face properly, you could still use standard brass only extraction would not be as firm.

Jeff
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

Im a little confused, do you want to make the 7.62 brass from the 220 brass and then use a standard bolt face?

It sounds interesting, but I think there are better was to skin this cat. think about a 30BR or 22/250 necked up to 30 cal.

If you do it, make sure you post pics so we can see the end results!!!
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

This is a good idea. If i had the caliber's, i might give it a shot. However, Tuition calls for me, and therefore i am limited in my 2nd amendment funds, and interesting ventures will have to wait
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

I never considered other cartridges partly because I have ’98 that I shortened by an inch and put a 7.62x39 barrel on and even though I lengthened the extractor claw it only really grabs the cartridge well while the chamber is holding it centered in the bolt face. I also just bought an EtronX rifle and was thinking it would be nice to use it for a silenced 30 cal and I don’t want mess with the bolt.

Using the 7.62x39 chamber has the advantage that you can still use surplus ammo.

Jeff
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

Have you considered a Savage for your switch barrel project. Then you can swap barrels and bolt heads around for any combination that's feasible.

This place has everything Savage.
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

I had considered the Savage, but my obsessive compulsive disorder caused me to make other purchase (one being the EtronX rifle) and now it would be difficult to tell the spouse I bought a third rifle to take apart. The EtronX rifle would get rid of any mechanical sounds from firing so it would be fun to play around with it, but it has a standard bolt face. If I pin the recoil lug on the Rem 700 then it really is no more difficult to change barrels then on the Savage. I have been thinking that I can cut a 32 tpi thread for a barrel nut and then it would have double the load on the receiver ring for the same torque and hand tightened if the barrel nut were attached to the forearm for added leverage might be fine a detent of some kind would keep the forearm lined up and prevent it from unscrewing.

Jeff