I present to you .....

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Major props to you guys who made F1's to work with the YHM mount. That's impressive.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

JohnnyO wrote:No, I think that was mine.
Sorry, should give credit where it's due. I just hadn't seen yours before. Very nice job to the both of you!
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
gdragon
Silent But Deadly

Post by gdragon »

Is there anything to the golf ball launcher other than barrel threads and boring it to golf ball size? It's stainless I presume? Looks like a fun project.
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

WhisperFan wrote:Why didn't you put the ratcheting indents all the way round?

I plan to put one every ten degrees, like the Phantom has.
The mount only has 4 teeth so I only made notches in those areas where the can is tight. Plus I needed space for the spanner holes.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

gdragon wrote:Is there anything to the golf ball launcher other than barrel threads and boring it to golf ball size? It's stainless I presume? Looks like a fun project.
Nope - just threads and a tube .... that's it. And you're right - they are a blast to shoot.

I found a deal on blanks too. Just ordered 1140 for 99.00 plus 20 S&H
It was a single deal, not a business with an advertised price.

A friend of mine has about 4 or 5 5-gallon buckets of golf balls, he said he'd give me a bucket.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

JohnnyO wrote:

The mount only has 4 teeth so I only made notches in those areas where the can is tight. Plus I needed space for the spanner holes.
Looks great! What did you coat/finish your's with? I am seriously thinking of leaving mine stainless.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
gdragon
Silent But Deadly

Post by gdragon »

Do you know what you bored it to? Looks like a fun project, just don't have any golf balls to mic.
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

WhisperFan wrote:
JohnnyO wrote:

Looks great! What did you coat/finish your's with? I am seriously thinking of leaving mine stainless.
The rear end cap is parked and the rest is duracoat. The 5.56 can I'm making now is all Ti and I plan on leaving it natural also.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

gdragon wrote:Do you know what you bored it to? Looks like a fun project, just don't have any golf balls to mic.
I used a short length of schedule 10 stainless pipe in 304/304L. It is actully called 1 1/2" pipe, but that is not an actual measurement, and it is the ID.

The specific measurements are 1.9" OD with a .110" Wall, making an ID of 1.682"

There is a seam on the inside that you will need to sand down. Under the rules of golf, a golf ball can weighs no more than 1.62 oz, and have a diameter not less than 1.68"

Online metals sells that pipe if you need some.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I suppose you would need CLP to clean the balls after each shot.

When you play golf with your launcher.... what does your range bag look like? Instead of different "woods" and "irons"... I guess you would have different powder charges for blanks?

"Caddy, what do you think? 55 grain and my M4?"

"nah, for a long range like that you better us a higher grain."

"FORE! BOOM!"

"What an excellent shot, he is on the green!"

[wimpy golf clap, clap, , clap, , clap....]
-----
Ick
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Nice work!, I can see how you'd do acme threads on a lathe, just different tool, but what I really wanna know is how the F--k does AAC make the internal portion of the MITER mounts :lol:
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Nice
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
WSMkid

Post by WSMkid »

Do I see a Form 1 golf ball suppressor coming up?

GJ
I'm just a pecker wood that live in the sticks with to many guns.......and I cant spell.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I don't think so - it's a little short.

If I did another Form 1, I would just start from scratch.
GreyHammer
Silent Operator

For the Public Good, What are the Phantom thread specs?

Post by GreyHammer »

WhisperFan.

Please disclose the reverse enginering details of the YHM quick detach threaded mount. Are they an acme type thread? They wouldn't tell me either.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: I present to you .....

Post by WhisperFan »

Acme - 8 tpi

I didn't save the OD - ID ...... figured I'd not need it again. Sorry. I know it wasn't a 'standard' thread ... like 1 1/16" or 1 1/8"
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

So I kinda understand Acme threads, but what did you use to cut them?
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

That looks great. I"m GREEN with jealousy!!
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Bowen1911 wrote:So I kinda understand Acme threads, but what did you use to cut them?
I used an internal bar that holds threading inserts. I just bought an 8 tpi threading insert - Valentine is the make - I think.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I have an opportunity to test the golf ball launcher this friday. Hopefully I can discern the flight time for a straight-up shot and maximum distance... so we can calculate some velocities and what-not.
-----
Ick
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

ick wrote:I have an opportunity to test the golf ball launcher this friday. Hopefully I can discern the flight time for a straight-up shot and maximum distance... so we can calculate some velocities and what-not.
Next time I get out the chronograph, i will check and see how fast I am launching a golf ball at the muzzle.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Nice work!
mark9mmp

Post by mark9mmp »

So do the notches in the suppressor and yhm muzzle mount just ratchet against eachother until tight? Do they wear down quick with alot of install\removal? I always figured there was a spring of somekind in the can keeping it's rear notches under tension to mount tight but have some give as well? Does that make sense?
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

mark9mmp wrote:So do the notches in the suppressor and yhm muzzle mount just ratchet against eachother until tight? Do they wear down quick with alot of install\removal? I always figured there was a spring of somekind in the can keeping it's rear notches under tension to mount tight but have some give as well? Does that make sense?
The YHM mount has a wave spring washer behind the tooth ring to apply tension. My mount and can really only show finish wear and it's been used a lot so I would say it doesn't wear down quick.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Ask and ye shall recieve....