17 hmr design

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gffny5mma

17 hmr design

Post by gffny5mma »

does anyone have a good design for a 17hmr. I know it will still make the crack but would like to cut the rest out. over kill design would be fine. baffle setup would be nice thanks
mikes2103
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 17 hmr design

Post by mikes2103 »

put my trident 9 on my marlinn 917 today and it worked much better than i thought it would, even being a 9mm can.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Take a look at the Spectre. That design is very effective with the HMR, and might give you some ideas you could apply to your own design. Just a thought.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I drew up something a while back. I might make it later this year. Not sure what baffles I would use though. It would either be K baffles or step cones. I would use the thinnest 4130 steel tubing I can get and weld on the end caps. I might make a slightly larger version to handle the 17 remington. It would just be an inch longer and have slightly thicker baffles.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

I made a monocore for my .22 and it works great on the .17hmr. I suppose it would work a lot better if the main hole wasn't so much bigger, but you can't really hear the boom, and it is quiet enough to hear the bullet impact if its more than about 25 yards. I love being able to tell if you hit the gopher by the sound of the impact :D
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Any .22-design should work fine for the .17, since it is supersonic and isn't too loud in the first place it shouldn't take much so suppress it to a reasonable level.