Supressor Baffle Pics!

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Re: Supressor Baffle Pics!

Post by paco ramirez »

I'm just saying it's not mine ahead of time so that no one thinks that it's mine is all. The model that I did is the only model I know of in existence besides AAC's, and I never gave my model to anyone. I'm just curious who made it and where you found it.

P.S.- Nice photoshopping.

iron.maiden wrote:
paco ramirez wrote:It's not mine. Where did you find this?

iron.maiden wrote:i found 3d m42000 drawing , i do not think that aac made it , so, i don't know if it's correct or just a thought about m42k
Paco , who said it's yours ? i found it , i didn't make it because i do not have skills in 3d ( if i had 15 % of your talent i would be very happy :) ) i can't say the same thing about photoshop
emil

Post by emil »

guys
do you have any photos of interior design of suppressor for first
generation AWC amphibian pistol (baffles of square tubing separating
with fluted cones - acorrding to "silencer history and performance vol 2")?
BadassWeakling
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BadassWeakling »

That 3D rendering of the AAC M4-2000 is made by Griffin Armament, it's available on their Facebook page.

Who knows if it's accurate though, seems to me the author was just making educated guesses
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

that drawing is not correct
FrankSPPD

Post by FrankSPPD »

Here is a picture of the Qual A Tec/Phrobis crimped cone spacer with a baffle welded up for Navy testing (not my picture)

Notice baffle one and three are welded together.

These proved to be more durable than the H&K style machined thick baffle with the one piece cone on the back, well at least with rifle caliber ammo. The cut down tubing had to be welded into place to prevent it from collapsing from the heat of M16 carbine fire.

Pretty ingenious.

If you do not believe me on the details, check out the second issue of SAR and check out the article written by Doug Olsen, who ran the Qual A Tec shop near the Navy Weapons Center in Crane Indiana in the 1980's. I was also told that these baffles were the basis for the Qual A Tec H&K P7 silencer for SEAL Team 6. Only one was ever leaked into civilian hands (stolen by a Navy SEAL and registered by a Florida Class 2, who died in a Motorcycle wreck in the 1990's.) Another was found in San Diego on a P7 that was given by Qual A Tec to a local Animal Control Agency for quiet varmint shooting......they also had one of two prototype Amphibian style Rugers (stainless steel), now sadly destroyed.
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

FrankSPPD wrote:Here is a picture of the Qual A Tec/Phrobis crimped cone spacer with a baffle welded up for Navy testing (not my picture)

Only one was ever leaked into civilian hands (stolen by a Navy SEAL and registered by a Florida Class 2, who died in a Motorcycle wreck in the 1990's.)
John R. Weaver......JRW Sport?
07/02 FFL-SOT
FrankSPPD

Post by FrankSPPD »

Yes, That is what I heard from a friend at BATF. The SEAL also stole over a million rounds of ammo and almost an entire GE Mini gun. The silencers were all unnumbered, since there were no regs requiring them for some units. John Weaver had a big ad in Shotgun News back in the 1990's, and I traded him a bunch of M60E3 parts for his experimental 5.56mm conversion of that gun. He offered me a couple original Vietnam era suppressors in trade, but I passed on them. He directed me to someone who had more of them in Virginia.

The suppressors were sold by a Class 3 that ran a pawn shop in Petersburg, VA.....I think Tony's Pawn (now out of business).

All of the silencers were listed in the BATF seizure/forfeiture notice that used to be listed in the USA Today and Wall Street journal back in the day, and they all came from Tony's Pawn - which was Dan Robinson's shop.

This was also a source for other hard to find military suppressors like original HEL M4 and M4a silencers and the Navy single baffle silencer, which I think is a Mark 1 (?) shown in the Black Rifle #1 book.

I have only seen one HEL M4 in the flesh and Fred Rexer had that in the 70's. I have never seen a Navy M16 suppressor like the Mark 1 except the cut a way one at the Navy SEAL Museum, although someone told me that Reed Knight has an original one that the SEALs gave him long ago.

Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

Interesting!

When I was a teen to my mid 20's my buddy had a condo about 300 ft from the UDT/SEAL Museum on North Hutchinson Island. Great Place!

I visited JRW Sports one time......John was a very interesting Cat to talk with. Very intelligent guy!

Wish I would have purchased one of the 5.56 M-60 conversion.
07/02 FFL-SOT
FrankSPPD

Post by FrankSPPD »

Jon made me a semi M60 in the E4 configuration, which I sold to a collector in Indiana. He sent me a 5.56mm conversion kit to test, but the barrel wore out pretty quickly and it did not have any hardened stellite inserts to prevent it from happening in full auto. It was a nice idea when combined with his ultra light weight receiver/trunnion design.

I think he was still working on it when he died.

Jon did a lot of neat things and he did hustle a lot with business. He built up his business from very little. He sold a lot of his personal machineguns to buy machine tools and to do small production runs of Glock pictol shoulder stocks, M60 semi parts and his first silencer models. He also worked a little with Joe Gaddini, who ran SWR at the time.

People liked Jon or they did not......there really was no in between with him. Regardless, he did die too young, which is the real shame for his family.
doctor

Post by doctor »

Quicksilver monocore.

And new version of PBS.
doctor

Post by doctor »

Another one.
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

that's cool doctor .thanks for the nice pics . that little monocore looks innovative
hotbrass
Silent Operator

Post by hotbrass »

doctor wrote:Another one.

I wonder how effective that is in suppressing a 7.62x39?

I know it says AK-74, and I wonder how effective it is in suppressing the 5.45x39 round also? It seems small for the amount of gas that is coming out of the snout.
FrankSPPD

Post by FrankSPPD »

From my understanding from having fired one of the 7.62x39 models back in 1990, that the wipe was introduced to allow the weapon to function properly. We fired regular ball ammo through it back on a Quantico range with other captured equipment and it was not very accurate or quiet. The first samples of heavy ball AK ammo did not readily reach the Non-Tech Intel folks until after 1990, and it came from both Interarms and Central America (1989).

The Russian have gone a completely different way with their silencers on the AK system....and they have taken the captive piston rounds to as far as they can go with a pistol size weapon.

The AK BullPup design with suppressor and armmor piercing heavy ball ammo is far better and quieter in my experience. The Youtube videos do not really do it justice.

The VSS, PSS and TKB series are all top notch but non- campare to US designs, which are baffle centric.

That is my opinion....they are very interesting designs and the current crop of Chinese silencers have again copied the Russians to a tee.
doctor

Post by doctor »

Old suppressor for SKS.
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

unfinished russian monocores ,i think it's a smg one. notice the tapered bore
doctor

Post by doctor »

It's for SR-3M.
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

yes you are a dr.doctor about russian cans , i have only a request , if you can find something about sv-98 can , it looks e areally nice suppressor.
doctor

Post by doctor »

iron.maiden wrote:yes you are a dr.doctor about russian cans , i have only a request , if you can find something about sv-98 can , it looks e areally nice suppressor.
I have not information about suppressor for SV-98.
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

Call me crazy, but... Is the monocore facing backwards? Shouldn't the larger chambers be to the rear?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Jimmy_Jr wrote:Call me crazy, but... Is the monocore facing backwards? Shouldn't the larger chambers be to the rear?
Yes the core is facing backwards that small chamber is the chamber that catches the gases that escape the flashhider. It should be facing to the right in that full rifle picture.

-B
doctor

Post by doctor »

Pic from patent.
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

Excellent! Thanks, Doc! Anyone know how well this design performs?
Bandit
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bandit »

Doesn't this prove that a take apart threaded centerfire rifle can is good as a weelded one ?

If you're not part of the solution, you're not only "part" of the problem but, you "are" the problem.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bandit wrote:Doesn't this prove that a take apart threaded centerfire rifle can is good as a weelded one ?

I sincerely hope you are joking.

How would this prove that it is as good as a welded one?

BTW I saw a couple of these in Afghanistan and they were not open cans, they were sealed, that rear cap that comes off is to cealn the interface where the muzzlebrake eners the can, the core is sealed.

-B