How make baffles without any machining

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Re: How make baffles without any machining

Post by [email protected] »

This thread went in the wrong direction quick, and it probably won't get any better. All because I worded the original post wrong.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I think you got some good information out of it, you just have to weave through the handbags.

Don't give up on it yet, once the legal discussion dies down I'm confident someone will have something else to add.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Anything you say and do can and will be used against you :wink: ,,,no kidding :? who talks like that

Nah as doubloon says you will get your info

start by making some coffee
then start reading backwards through the threads
lots of info , more than can be given without you blackout from info overload :wink:
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

doubloon wrote:I think you got some good information out of it, you just have to weave through the handbags.

LOL, that was pretty good!

Don't give up on it yet, once the legal discussion dies down I'm confident someone will have something else to add.
I deffinately got some good info, and I hope that it keeps coming.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

To add to the legal discussion, Here in idaho, Fish and Game will write you a ticket based on anything you say.

example (not real)

(in september, with a .22 rifle AND a bow out in the woods)

F&G Nazi: What are you doing
Me: Out elk hunting
F&G Nazi: Rifle season isn't till Oct. 10th. Here's your ticket for hunting out of season.
Me: It's for grouse.
F&G Nazi: You didn't say that originally, so I am talking your word from your first statement
Me: F--k.

Sad, but true
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

You can make it !. That's for sure.

Use standard PVC pipes, (plumbing stores) and ask them to cut and thread. Buy also the caps that thread into the tube and a tube that fits inside the threaded one. Play with 1 inch, 1 1/4, ...

You are already 90% done. You've got a sealed tube with the spacers. Cut them to 1/2 inch(the spacers).

Now, go to the hardware store and buy fender washers with OD a little big bigger of threaded tube ID.

Hole in the middle for 90% of Bullet's OD (there are easy to build hand tool to find centers, just google on it). Buy a steel ball that is your Bullets OD.

Put the ball in the center and put pressure on it till it drops (oops !). Find the ball, you're going to need that to build more Baffles (yes, you got a Baffle probably better than some commercial cans out there).

And so on, yo know ... be creative and think out of the box. You can have a great can but just for few shots (and few dollars !) ... 6/7 inches plenty of fender washers is going to be OK.

To avoid issues, tell good stories to the people who attend you at the stores.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

This is another approach: No forms, no taxes, no patents, no lathes, no mills, ... you can probably ask Pepsi to pay for the Advertising.

And ..., Yep !, there is more, more features at a glance: Don't drink the Pepsi and you've got a wet can !

(Sorry, i'm getting mad. It's already 5 months out of home ...)

mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

This is another approach: No forms, no taxes, no patents, no lathes, no mills, ... you can probably ask Pepsi to pay for the Advertising.

And ..., Yep !, there is more, more features at a glance: Don't drink the Pepsi and you've got a wet can !

(Sorry, i'm getting mad. It's already 5 months out of home ...)

wait wait wait... no forms, no taxes? oh do you just have the adapter registered as the main part like you would do for plastic bottle suppressors?
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Bowen1911 wrote:To add to the legal discussion, Here in idaho, Fish and Game will write you a ticket based on anything you say.

example (not real)

(in september, with a .22 rifle AND a bow out in the woods)

F&G Nazi: What are you doing
Me: Out elk hunting
F&G Nazi: Rifle season isn't till Oct. 10th. Here's your ticket for hunting out of season.
Me: It's for grouse.
F&G Nazi: You didn't say that originally, so I am talking your word from your first statement
Me: F--k.

Sad, but true
In this vein might I suggest for your viewing pleasure << http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8153586646# >>. An informative
lecture by a law professor and a newly minted lawyer/police officer. Were I to categorize this topic a candidate would be STFU! :)

It is most informative and educational.

p.s. << http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... l=en&emb=1# >>
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

mx201er wrote:
PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

This is another approach: No forms, no taxes, no patents, no lathes, no mills, ...

wait wait wait... no forms, no taxes? oh do you just have the adapter registered as the main part like you would do for plastic bottle suppressors?
Paul doesn't live in the U.S., he doesn't have to follow the same restrictions that apply to mere mortals.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Ok. sorry.

Yes, i'm not from USA. At same point i'm going to have an avatar thats says so ... but i prefer a jumping girl ...

Best,

Paul
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

The reason why I'm trying to figure out the most efficient baffle design is, I understand that if I use the tube that(I have IN MIND, NOT physically have) lol. I won't have the most volume to work with so I will have to make up for that by creating as much turbulance as possible. Also doesn't volume come second to baffle designs(baffles that that create a lot of
of turbulance)? Isn't there somekind of book that that explains how to design and make an efficient sound suppessor? I guess what Im asking is; is there a book on how to professionally design and make a sound suppressor like the major companies do AAC, SWR, Liberty, etc.... do? Is there a book that goes over acoustics, and different baffles and thier pros and cons? I know that I do not have the capabilities or resources to do manufacture a suppressor how they do but if I can learn what needs to be done inorder to effectively suppess the sound of a gun, then I could probably(with a ton of help from all of y'all)figure out how to make one within my limits. Sorry about the horribly long post, spelling and grammar errors but I'm bored and on my iPhone. Again thank y'all very much for all of the help.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

There's a guy named Paulson who wrote a book or two everybody foams over.

I haven't built a suppressor yet but from what I can tell it's more about mouse holes, curves and angles than it is about pure volume.

In some .22 can's I've seen pictures of it looks like it's also possible to get the job done simply with a large number of baffles if you don't care all that much about the size/weight of the suppressor.

To your point, the Spectre is a tiny little can and what seems like a majority of its volume is taken up by evenly spaced baffles with cones and mouse holes.

I don't think acoustics will help much because the shot doesn't make any sound until the gas escapes the end of the muzzle or the muzzle attachment. By the time acoustics are involved the job of the suppressor is complete.

It's the job of the suppressor to disrupt and delay the expansion of the gas coming out of the end of the muzzle which is still expanding even as it enters the suppressor. From what I can tell this is the crux of the challenge, a lot of people refer to it as retaining or dispersing "heat" but it seems to me that if "heat" were the main concern all suppressors would look like this on the outside.

Each time design has come up in the past nobody has been willing to part with the secrets that make their can quiet, everybody says trial and error are the best teachers.
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

You make some really good points, and I'm sure that trial and error are good teachers. However it seems to me that inorder for trial and error to be effective you have to have multiple trails, and multiple errors. Which=mucho time, and mucho dinero. So when we're talking about regular joes like us, we don't typically have alot of trial and error but because we cannot afford to manufacture dozens of different can designs per year. Also I don't fault the major manufactures for not wanting to share thier secrets, I mean that's how they feed thier families. I would not be giving out diy info on a luxury item that I was trying to sell to make a living if I was them. BTW, do you know which of his books I should read, or are all of them good?
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

true. but I find it hard to believe that you will be able to find a, exceptionally quiet design without some machining. Freeze plugs and washers are simple, and simple can work well, but fluid dynamics are tricky, and I had no idea on what will divert gasses better than the rest. I just picked a commercial can, and tried to come close to it's design. and it worked for me. But granted it involved many hours on the lathe
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Bowen1911 wrote:true. but I find it hard to believe that you will be able to find a, exceptionally quiet design without some machining. Freeze plugs and washers are simple, and simple can work well, but fluid dynamics are tricky, and I had no idea on what will divert gasses better than the rest. I just picked a commercial can, and tried to come close to it's design. and it worked for me. But granted it involved many hours on the lathe
I totally agree with you. Plus I also understand that making a suppressor the way that I plan to will not get me the best results. There is no possible way that someone with no experience could design and manufacture a suppressor simply using modified freeze plugs that will in any way be considered a "great" can. I will be the first one to tell you that if I go through with this as planned it will be a descision based on the fact that I have no patience :? . I read your post on the can that you made, and I was really impressed!!! About how much time did you spend machining everything? I might just wait until I have access to some good equipment, and someone who doesn't mind helping/showing what to do.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

[email protected] wrote:
Bowen1911 wrote:true. but I find it hard to believe that you will be able to find a, exceptionally quiet design without some machining. Freeze plugs and washers are simple, and simple can work well, but fluid dynamics are tricky, and I had no idea on what will divert gasses better than the rest. I just picked a commercial can, and tried to come close to it's design. and it worked for me. But granted it involved many hours on the lathe
I totally agree with you. Plus I also understand that making a suppressor the way that I plan to will not get me the best results. There is no possible way that someone with no experience could design and manufacture a suppressor simply using modified freeze plugs that will in any way be considered a "great" can. I will be the first one to tell you that if I go through with this as planned it will be a descision based on the fact that I have no patience :? . I read your post on the can that you made, and I was really impressed!!! About how much time did you spend machining everything? I might just wait until I have access to some good equipment, and someone who doesn't mind helping/showing what to do.

If i was even a semi-seasoned machinist, it wouldn't have taken nearly as long as it did. I probably spent around 12 hours, including a few breaks from standing, on it. but there was a lot of "oh wait a sec, stop what i am doing, double check, and continue. CNC would have been nice. But like i have said somewhere, maybe not here, my girlfriend's grandpa has taken a liking to me, and he has all the equipment.

And patience is a virtue i have hardly begun to receive. Because 98 days seemed like a year.

if you want to try a freeze plug silencer, here is a quick guide
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19231&hilit=freeze+plug&start=150
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sergeant »

A friend of mine (who got me interested in this in the first place :? ) built a form 1 can for a 10/22 using freeze plugs. To the naked ear it is pretty quiet. He was happy with it and stopped there. I on the other hand can't leave well enough alone and feel the need to constantly improve, experiment, obsess, whatever... I have just been trained on the lathe at work which will take all this to a new level for me. The bottom line for me is...with machining or freeze plugs I have a lot of fun with it.
Steve
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ebay. Used titanium or stainless steel race care valve retainers. Tube. spacers, weld it together.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter