308 can question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Shift1
Silent But Deadly

308 can question

Post by Shift1 »

How efficient are slant baffles in 30 cal. I have seen some .30 cal cans advertised at -32dB and only 8 and some inches long. Have looked over some patents that have given me some ideas
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Re: 308 can question

Post by Sergeant »

For awhile I've wanted to do a side by side comparison of different baffles. With so many variables it would have to be well thought out to keep the baffles as the only difference betwix the cans. I did this in a small way using cones made of freeze plugs verses aluminum stepped cones and the stepped cones won out. (This was judged using my ears). I've got too many kids to go much beyond that.... :D
I would say try it out and report back...
Steve
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Slant baffles work fine with the 308 it's just more difficult to make that cones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

is not that easy to make slant baffles , maybe you have skills and equipment , if you want to try something more simple and efficient take a look at my drawings , first one ( only cones ) is inspired by ciener cans , ciener cans are very quiet although it looks simple in design , ciener cones are more or less 90 degree , so are shark 308 baffle cones except blast baffle which is a kind of tower with four channels around , it means that 90 degree cone is a good choice , the hard thing you have to do is '' experimenting '' a little with spacers , the easy thing is that 90 degree cone can be stamped ( you save some $$$ )
this second one suppressor drawing is inspired by something i'v seen lately ,the concept of expanding a quantity of gasses forward and backward than through baffles looks very logical to me so i simplified the original design to this one.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

I appreciate the input. As you say try and see.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"