SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:46 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm
Posts: 8
Design I put together based on what I have read on the forums.

Going to mount her on a .22 rifle (Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22)

Any suggestions? Got the baffle idea partially from silencerresearch.com/norrell_custom_can.htm

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 am 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm
Posts: 8
some sim pics

velocity isn't calculating right. just wanted to look at the flow through the tube


Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:25 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 1711
Location: Guatemala, Central America
Expansion chamber's too big for a .22LR . On my suppressor, I discovered that you need expansion chambers less than an inch long in order for FRP to be manageable.

You can improve the expansion of gasses at the blast chamber through favourable expansion geometry, i.e. after the gun's muzzle, make a nozzle angled 60 degrees so that the Coanda effect helps gasses expand better, making your blast baffle more efficient.

_________________
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:58 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:20 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: wyoming
Add a muzzle brake to the end of the mount. :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:44 am 
Online
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 pm
Posts: 335
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Not that it matters, but those look like M baffles rather than K baffles.

What flow modeling software are you using?

_________________
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:58 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm
Posts: 8
Armorer-at-Law wrote:
Not that it matters, but those look like M baffles rather than K baffles.

What flow modeling software are you using?


Solidworks 2010. FloXpress is integrated in it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:36 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:02 pm
Posts: 1249
Location: Australia
Hi,

My .2 cents follow:

1) Agree with LavaRed, avoid FRP and make your Blast smaller than 1''
2) Theese are not K's but M's. Reconsider your design and go one of them, not a mix both. Already tried and doesn't work.
3) Bullet path is .245. Right ?. Go more for your first can unless someone else is building for you. .285
4) Go 7 inches total tube and spread Baffles at equal distances. 5/6 Baffles + Blast is all you need.
5) Fasten Front & Rear Caps fron inside insted of from outside. Thread caps outside.
6) Don't talk about spacer due to the fact that is not clear if those are K's or M's: In case of M's, do comunicate all the chambers.

If you are trying to make a dual Can (22 and 223) i do recommend you to start thinking on splitting Blast Chamber and Baffles Chamber so you can have one Blast per Caliber and share Baffles one. I tried and do OK. Tricky.

Best,

Paul

_________________
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:46 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm
Posts: 8
PaulNoiseLess wrote:
Hi,

My .2 cents follow:

1) Agree with LavaRed, avoid FRP and make your Blast smaller than 1''
2) Theese are not K's but M's. Reconsider your design and go one of them, not a mix both. Already tried and doesn't work.
3) Bullet path is .245. Right ?. Go more for your first can unless someone else is building for you. .285
4) Go 7 inches total tube and spread Baffles at equal distances. 5/6 Baffles + Blast is all you need.
5) Fasten Front & Rear Caps fron inside insted of from outside. Thread caps outside.
6) Don't talk about spacer due to the fact that is not clear if those are K's or M's: In case of M's, do comunicate all the chambers.

If you are trying to make a dual Can (22 and 223) i do recommend you to start thinking on splitting Blast Chamber and Baffles Chamber so you can have one Blast per Caliber and share Baffles one. I tried and do OK. Tricky.

Best,

Paul


going to post up a pic of the tweaked design soon


thanks for your advice, ill definitely check out k's and m's and research each individually

the tube is already threaded internally and the caps are threaded externally. it is clearly visible in the first image

As far as your advice for not making it myself if I want tight tolerances - the products I currently manufacture are +0 -.001 on average; I am fully aware of geometric tolerancing. I assure you someone else is going to make it sloppier than if I made it myself.

Now if you are concerned with the ID being too small in due to regards of functionality and safety, then I welcome your advice on the best ID for my design.

Thanks,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:12 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 1711
Location: Guatemala, Central America
SlowRiderr wrote:
PaulNoiseLess wrote:
Hi,

My .2 cents follow:

1) Agree with LavaRed, avoid FRP and make your Blast smaller than 1''
2) Theese are not K's but M's. Reconsider your design and go one of them, not a mix both. Already tried and doesn't work.
3) Bullet path is .245. Right ?. Go more for your first can unless someone else is building for you. .285
4) Go 7 inches total tube and spread Baffles at equal distances. 5/6 Baffles + Blast is all you need.
5) Fasten Front & Rear Caps fron inside insted of from outside. Thread caps outside.
6) Don't talk about spacer due to the fact that is not clear if those are K's or M's: In case of M's, do comunicate all the chambers.

If you are trying to make a dual Can (22 and 223) i do recommend you to start thinking on splitting Blast Chamber and Baffles Chamber so you can have one Blast per Caliber and share Baffles one. I tried and do OK. Tricky.

Best,

Paul


going to post up a pic of the tweaked design soon


thanks for your advice, ill definitely check out k's and m's and research each individually

the tube is already threaded internally and the caps are threaded externally. it is clearly visible in the first image

As far as your advice for not making it myself if I want tight tolerances - the products I currently manufacture are +0 -.001 on average; I am fully aware of geometric tolerancing. I assure you someone else is going to make it sloppier than if I made it myself.

Now if you are concerned with the ID being too small in due to regards of functionality and safety, then I welcome your advice on the best ID for my design.

Thanks,


I've had good results with .25" for a.22LR can. However, I do think you need to go at least .27" for the .223, in case of any variations on the bullet itself.

_________________
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:21 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm
Posts: 8
LavaRed wrote:

I've had good results with .25" for a.22LR can. However, I do think you need to go at least .27" for the .223, in case of any variations on the bullet itself.


Thank you very much. I will make the change to .250 for the ID.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:31 pm
Posts: 1645
Location: Idaho
I went with 17/64 (.265 ish) My threading jobs on my .22 rifle's weren't what I consider good threads for a can so thats why i bumped it up from .250. but no baffle strikes on all 3 .22's so I am good to go

_________________
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 300sniper, apd855, Ash, buddhacarl, calinb, Capt. Link., chrismartin, delta9mda, Dr.K, Eder, grrifles, gunny50, hotbrass, john.t.little1, JohnnyO, jss, Jt.kline19, Ken73, kingjamez, kombos, krinkov, McLarenross, paul463, Ram716, Rifle 57, rjs1000, RPM509, sizulku, srs, stacks, steve_dune, weldergonecrazy, Ws7z and 589 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group