My Form1 transforms into my first can!!!

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

METALMAN

Re: My Form1 transforms into my first can!!!

Post by METALMAN »

Bandwidth issues resolved.......hope those who couldn't, can see now!
only in death one finds truth
mac man
Elite Member

Post by mac man »

Great work METALMAN!
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Very nice! I like it. I've always thought stamped or pressed baffles have been ignored too long in the homebuilt arena.

Very clever too to use the bbl nut as a dedicated threaded mount!
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

I admire your work! great idea :D
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
homemade
Silent Operator

Post by homemade »

Nice work. looking forward to doing something like this myself. especially if as you say, the bore diameter is less critical than I have been lead to believe.

So this has got me thinking:

1. square tube holds greater volume for a given diameter than round. perhaps this is why it works so well rather than (or perhaps in addition to) the square cross section?

2. would it be of benefit to add some sort of spikes or roughen the surface inside to create more turbulence and slow down gas flow - or create more surface area inside and dissipate more heat from the gasses faster. would make it harder to clean perhaps, but maybe more effective?
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/210904

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c,2849/

love everyone, even your enemy.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Holee shiite! I ain't seen you in forever Metalman. I see you are into suppressors now. I am in the process of of building my first form one can now. I just can't see spending hundreds of dollars for something I can make myself.
Hope all is well with you.
Oh, very nice suppressor you made there. I am very impressed.
GaryM (same GaryM as on arfcom)
K1196A
Silent But Deadly

Post by K1196A »

Made me smile listening to the suppressed shots. NICE job! :mrgreen:
METALMAN

Post by METALMAN »

Gary!!!! My main grenade launchin man!!! Yeah bud, I went further west. I havent been to St. louie in FOREVER!!! I make it to the three gun in Columbia every year but thats about it.Good luck with your can man!! What are you building it for? Weapon that is!

GaryM wrote:Holee shiite! I ain't seen you in forever Metalman. I see you are into suppressors now. I am in the process of of building my first form one can now. I just can't see spending hundreds of dollars for something I can make myself.
Hope all is well with you.
Oh, very nice suppressor you made there. I am very impressed.
GaryM (same GaryM as on arfcom)
OneWound

Post by OneWound »

I do have a couple of questions, first why do you drill the holes to weld the monocore in place? Is it to make sure they never move since you can never take them out? What are the values of adding the slots, so you can have something to weld on? And are the small holes critically placed?
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Post by rqlasl »

Bring it back from the dead!.....You noticed that the last post was from Sept 2010?.......
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I doubt Metalman is still around, but the slots were apparently designed so each baffle, when rotated 90 degrees, would snug up with its neighbor, and the threaded rod compressed them all together for the weld.

This sucker is built like a tank. I have really only one objection to the mount, and that is, different barrels have slightly different thicknesses of the flange on it that the Uzi bbl nut contacts when tightened down. Potentially, if the original barrel is swapped, the can may not register, not be co-planar with the weapon, if that makes sense.

That baffle stack could just as easily be fitted into a round tube, which would solve those probs and look more traditional. A round tube would create a different path around the outside of the stack, but I suspect it'd still suppress pretty well.

I said it before, the idea of using a barrel nut as a simple mount for an Uzi can is genius.
OneWound

Post by OneWound »

rqlasl wrote:Bring it back from the dead!.....You noticed that the last post was from Sept 2010?.......
I realized that after I posted it...oops!
OneWound

Post by OneWound »

Baffled wrote:I doubt Metalman is still around, but the slots were apparently designed so each baffle, when rotated 90 degrees, would snug up with its neighbor, and the threaded rod compressed them all together for the weld.

This sucker is built like a tank. I have really only one objection to the mount, and that is, different barrels have slightly different thicknesses of the flange on it that the Uzi bbl nut contacts when tightened down. Potentially, if the original barrel is swapped, the can may not register, not be co-planar with the weapon, if that makes sense.

That baffle stack could just as easily be fitted into a round tube, which would solve those probs and look more traditional. A round tube would create a different path around the outside of the stack, but I suspect it'd still suppress pretty well.

I said it before, the idea of using a barrel nut as a simple mount for an Uzi can is genius.
How could the length of the flange on the Uzi bbl nut affect if the suppressor works or not? the barrel goes wayyy past the nut, so would it make a difference? Or are you saying the flange on the bbl nut may not be the same all the way around?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OneWound wrote:
Baffled wrote:I doubt Metalman is still around, but the slots were apparently designed so each baffle, when rotated 90 degrees, would snug up with its neighbor, and the threaded rod compressed them all together for the weld.

How could the length of the flange on the Uzi bbl nut affect if the suppressor works or not? the barrel goes wayyy past the nut, so would it make a difference? Or are you saying the flange on the bbl nut may not be the same all the way around?
What he is saying is that he squared the can up to follow the lines of the Uzi, if he got a thicker or thinner barrel flange on the next barrel it wouldn't time the same and the can could be off kilter.
METALMAN

Post by METALMAN »

Just wanted to bump this up from the dead! The can is still plugging away!! I really need to make an adaptor for 1/2-28TPI !!!
StarvinPilgrim

Post by StarvinPilgrim »

METALMAN wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eyS54AdG_Y

I'm not sure how to embed a YouTube video, the link is above

That's AWESOME! Well done!
minmax

Post by minmax »

Bump this up,
Hey Metalman anything new?

Can you shoot me a PM? About your Art work
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

That....is awesome :shock:
I've never seen a mild steel silencer, much less one made with square tubing.
Its so Beautiful :cry:

Bowen1911 wrote:
Dweezil wrote:Coolest. Suppressor. Ever.
cooler than mine?
That hurts
Lemme seee :P
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

You can fix timing issues on cans for the Uzi by chucking up the bbls and turning the bbl flange on all your bbls to the same thickness.

I did this on mine so I could cut a slot in the end of my Coastal can for the ratcheting release to click into so the can won't unscrew (Coastal cans do not have serrations like the std Uzi bbl nut has.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

OneWound wrote:...And are the small holes critically placed?
I too wonder what the 4 holes were placed there for. Would covering them enhance the design? Were they placed for full-auto fire?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314