Suppressor for 6.5x55

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

etorjul

Suppressor for 6.5x55

Post by etorjul »

Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading this forum for some time now. I’ve enjoyed reading the build threads here, so I guess it's time for me to contribute with something myself. I've built quite a few suppressors over the years, but never bothered to take pictures. The following is my take on building a suppressor for my new tikka t3, chambered in 6.5x55 SE.
First: legalities - I'm living in the northern part of Europe. Here suppressors are totally legal, and require no paperwork of any kind. One more thing. English is not my native language, so please excuse my misspellings and bad grammar.

First the drawing:
This suppressor is of the reflex type with an expansion chamber going back over the barrel. The basic technical data is written on the drawing.

Here is my pile of junk materials which will become my suppressor.

And here is (according to some) an even bigger pile of junk which will serve as the primary tool in making this thing.

The first thing I made was the threaded attachment point for the barrel.

This was internally threaded M14X1.

This part also serves as a muzzle brake.

The internal tube and the rear endcap were then made. These parts are press fitted to each other. A groove was cut in the back of the rear endcap for a C type retaining clip. This will hold in place a plastic bushing.

The outer tube was cut to length and threaded in one end. Here I make the front end cap. The point of making a threaded endcap on such a suppressor is really just to be able to experiment with different internals at a later stage.

Here are the parts ready for welding. Notice the four spokes near the muzzle brake. These will be plug welded to the outer tube.

All welded up!

Clean up on the lathe.

Turning down the OD of the tube to reduce weight.

After a coat of flat black bake on paint.

Here is the plastic bushing in the rear of the suppressor. This has the function of protecting the finish of the barrel when mounting the suppressor, and also to take up the forces of an impact. This is however not a “solid” secondary mount. There is a tiny amount of slop between the barrel and the bushing.

Here is the tube next to the baffle stack… baffels are of the simple cone type.

Set up for threading the barrel.

Turning external threads M14x1. The barrel was also cut about 2 inches and recrowned.

Here is the whole deal. Suppressor, threaded barrel, thread protector and a tool to remove the front end cap.

And finally the rifle with the suppressor mounted.

This project took me about two weeks, didn’t cost me anything (other than a bit of time), and I’m very happy with the result. I’ve fired about 400 rounds through it by now, and it holds up nicely. Suppression is good, no visible muzzle flash and reduces recoil well. The rifle is sweet to shoot.
I’m ready for hunting season.
Have a nice weekend!
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressor for 6.5x55

Post by Sergeant »

Very nice write up. You do good work also. I never thought of using a plastic bushing. My 2 point attachment can rubs the finish off the barrel. Your English is just fine.
Steve
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I jealous.

That looks really good.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

etorjul, could you have used a smaller lathe!!!

No just joking :D All I can say is thats damn SWEET. Good job!!!!!!

That is nearly identical to one that I did for an AR-15. The only difference is that I had five tubes that went from the back of the expansion chamber through the blast baffle. This in my mind was to work the gases more and give the bullet a chance to escape without bein pushed around.

Thanks for the ideas and happy hunting! 8)
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

The nice thing were you live, you can change the caliber to suit the rifle without any problams in red tape as we do.
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

Nicely done and on a mini-lathe too.

Jeff
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

Need a 6.5 can for this, barrel is already threaded but its a big thread.

Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
RMR

Post by RMR »

Nice work! And, I second that your English is just fine.

I wish we had freer suppressor laws here...
"Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast." Lone Watie
etorjul

Post by etorjul »

Thanks for the compliments!

@SRM: I’ll try to find a smaller lathe next time :) But seriously, it’s amazing what one can achieve with such a small machine and a bit of ingenuity and creativity.

As to changing calibers, one can of course do that by making new internals. But then again a different caliber would be a perfect excuse to make a completely new suppressor!

@Mongo: Is that a Carl Gustaf BAR? It can’t be many of those still around. Especially not in Texas, or?

As to all the legal stuff and red tape you have to deal with: I find it at bit weird that you in the US have such strict rules concerning these things. Your governments trust its people to have firearms, but reducing their potentially harmful noise is somehow problematic? How a suppressor in itself is a dangerous item is just beyond me. I guess Hollywood is to blame…

But trust me - we have our share of silly laws over here too...
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

etorjul wrote: @Mongo: Is that a Carl Gustaf BAR? It can’t be many of those still around. Especially not in Texas, or?

It is a Kg m/37 Swedish BAR made by Carl Gustafs. I know of one other m/37 and have seen a few of the m/21 guns around. I'm sure there are more that I do not know of but they are very uncommon here.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Very nice work. Good Job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
ffemt596

Post by ffemt596 »

Very nice!
GANADERO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GANADERO »

nice job friend, you have video?
The GREATNESS Of the MAN IS IN The STRENGTH OF ITS MIND IN The NOBILITY OF ITS SOUL And HER WILL TO WIN

NEW ZELAND
etorjul

Post by etorjul »

Here is a short video. I'm shooting at an indoor pistol range so the sound really suck, and doesn't give the suppressor justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpK4Ma1vJjs
eisenfelder

Post by eisenfelder »

Wow, that is what I like to see.

You leave no room for any other type of response, that you haven't received already, "nice indeed... great design and excellent craftsmanship".
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Do you reload ?? you need some subsonic ammo for that can :wink:
do you know the twist of your barrel ?
etorjul

Post by etorjul »

Thanks again for the kind remarks, guys.

Yes, I reload, but I haven't tried developing subsonic loads for this caliber yet. Maybe I will some day. The twist of the barrel is 1 turn in 8 inches.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Vihtavuori N110 9,7 grain
bullet 140 grain roundnose flatbase or something the same LENGTH

any longer and you will have problems

best if you can get HN plated bullets

But most important the case should be one once fired in your gun
only necksize (using a LEE collet die ist best

this is to make sure you have a nice tight gas seal
the subsonic dosnt create the same pressure to make the seal as a supersonic load

Oh,, test first without the can :wink:
HirosStorageUnit
Silent Operator

Post by HirosStorageUnit »

I get all tingly when I see that rifle.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mongo wrote:Need a 6.5 can for this, barrel is already threaded but its a big thread.

http://hirosstorageunit.blogspot.com/
Always buying mags for:
Saiga 12
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

i highly recommend you this design for 6.5 x55 , try it and do not look back ,make the baffles via traditional way ( spacer+baffle) 5 baffle is very good , 6 is great.
first expansion chamber 2.75'' including threads , spacers 0.78''.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

etorjul, heartfelt compliments of your achievement.

Your English, design, machining, skill, and result all are perfect and command our sincerest admiration.

I particularly hold in high esteem your saying " ... it’s amazing what one can achieve with such a small machine and a bit of ingenuity and creativity. ".
It has been and always will be the man or woman, not the equipment, behind the creation of fine products. In southern Germany in the 1960's there was
an old woodcarver who could not afford fine wood working chisels so the found scrap truck springs and hand ground his chisels and carving knives. The fine
Medieval chess pieces he turned out are still a joy to hold, view, and play with.

That 'junky' lathe with an MT3 head spindle served you well in holding your barrel for threading. Just read about the folks on
this forum who have had miserable barrel threading by machinists with large expensive lathes.

My head swirls at the thought of your having at your disposal a Prazi SD500 Superturn 10"x20". :) :)

Fondest regards and more creations.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

iron.maiden wrote:i highly recommend you this design for 6.5 x55 , try it and do not look back ,make the baffles via traditional way ( spacer+baffle) 5 baffle is very good , 6 is great.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3621/d ... estack.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7301 ... ressor.jpg
first expansion chamber 2.75'' including threads , spacers 0.78''.
It looks like this suppressor can have baffle added to it just by screwing a new segment onto it. It would be interesting to test optimization with a set up like this to see where diminishing returns are for the stack length/baffle number. I'm guessing you are not in the USA since a suppressor like this might not pass an ATF ruling.
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

the suppressor is not mine , i'm not in USA and i'm telling you to try it in form-1. exterior diameter is 1.55'' and inner is 1.41'' ,yes you can add baffles maybe first three steel and rest aluminium. various baffles already tested in 308.
4-baffles---27.3
5----------29.8
6------------30
7-----------31.6 this one -length 8.5'' weight about 21 oz.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

Outstanding on all accounts! Thanks for posting.
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................