Ultimate Suppressor Concept

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

white russian

Ultimate Suppressor Concept

Post by white russian »

I only have the basic outline for the "Ultimate Suppressed Sniper Rifle." It takes many factors into account.
1. In the USA rifles are limited to .510". A 12ga shotgunslug is .750" Therefore you can use a subsonic 2 1/2 oz slug that has roughly 8 times more momentum than a 230gr. .45 @ 985fps. This eliminates the sonic crack. Provides great knockdown/stopping power. And at ranges out to 200m is rather flat trajectory.

I have drawn up an 18" long, 3" dia. tube where 6" is wraped around the barrel with the last 4" of a 26" barrel ported into the resultant expansion chamber. The 2" in front of the muzzle would have 6 bladelike projections to direct the blast radially after contacting the base of the slug. Then there would be 4 M'type baffles spaced at 1/2". Then the remainder of the tube would be of K'type design.
The barrel would need to be rifled for deer slugs, the 2 1/2oz slugs would need to be hand cast, and one would need to use ultra slow burning powder to avoid pressure peaking too early.
It could have a laser sight attached under the pump slide with screws and a thermal or NVD scope on top.
Anyone see the film "Phonebooth?" :-)
Just some thoughts.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Sounds interesting.

I have a 510 whisper that can use 950 grain bullets, these are only 15% lighter than your 2.5 ounce slugs, and a much higher BC I think. With my 2x18" aluminum can attached, it sounds like a car door slamming

50 (or .510) cal is not the largest availabble. SSK has a DD exemption for their .700 and .900 caliber rifles. High price is not exempt though. :)

Ranb
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockpup
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockpup »

I've seen a few 20mm rifles for sale. Might need to build your own reloading equipment though.
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

Therefore you can use a subsonic 2 1/2 oz slug that has roughly 8 times more momentum than a 230gr. .45 @ 985fps. This eliminates the sonic crack. Provides great knockdown/stopping power. And at ranges out to 200m is rather flat trajectory.
Have you actually tried shooting subsonic 12 ga slugs at 200 yds? Slugs have the ballistic profile of a brick and will drop further than you suspect at 200 yds. I'd also be interested to know just how accurate a rifled slug out of a tarted up shotgun really is at 200 yds.

The two benefits to using cast slugs are: Huge fricken hole it will drill through the target. And the ability to expand at subsonic velocity. These are the weaknesses of current subsonic rifles.
Then there would be 4 M'type baffles spaced at 1/2". Then the remainder of the tube would be of K'type design.
As someone noted above the monstrous 12ga bore will make suppression difficult at best. Also, K-baffles are pressure driven and will likely not work very well in such a large volume system as you are proposing. In any case if you were going to use K's they should go in front of the M's.

FWIW A 3" OD outer tube is HUGE! The suppressor tube will be considerably bigger than the action.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

did this project ever get done
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I don't know if the OP went anywhere with the idea, I did just get here after all.

This project is right along the lines of where I was thinking of going after I read the suppressed shotgun article in Small Arms Review a couple of months back. The article covered a ported barreled 12g. They used a single shot break action, which limited the options for porting near the chamber. I have an old Mossy bolt action that I have been eyeing with evil in my heart since I read the article. No problems making a full length integral. Mossberg still makes a 12g bolt action in fully rifled barrel. At least I think they still do. You could do a rifled slug gun with the ported barrel so you could use off the shelf ammo. Would only get so quiet because of the giant muzzle hole but would have some serious delivered impact.
dave22
Silent But Deadly

Post by dave22 »

20mm clocks in at 3,450 fps.
Holy mother of god sign me up. Amazing. Did not know they had that much umph.

Dave
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

Let’s say a slug has the BC of a 45/70 bullet of .214 (and that’s VERY generous). At said 985 fps you would have almost 4 feet of drop at 200 yards.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

dave22 wrote:
20mm clocks in at 3,450 fps.
Holy mother of god sign me up. Amazing. Did not know they had that much umph.

Dave

a sample pack of 20mm flavors

PTRS ATR 20mm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ClWi27olA

Solothurn 20mm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSczKvw7ek&NR=1

Lahti 20mm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw4lPC0PQwo

www.anzioironworks.com

suppressed?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NxHj1R04g
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

I would love to have a 50BMG or 20mm.

But I don't think it is necessary in subsonic suppressed. A .308 170gr bullet will go through most anything I would want to shoot. Now if you are thinking about busting concrete, that is a different story, but do you really need subsonic ammo for that?