searched to no avail... wrong barrel thread for 1911, 575x40

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jonathansevert

searched to no avail... wrong barrel thread for 1911, 575x40

Post by Jonathansevert »

Well, ordered my 1911 barrel. Thought I chose 578x28, received 575x40. Contacted storm lake and thry said I would have to wait a couple months.

I chose the thread to buy a suppressor, but figure the lathe I own should make something fun!

My question is this: why is 578x28 so commonly available for suppressors and nothing in 575x40? First I thought threads are too fine, maybe too many twists. Why is it?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: searched to no avail... wrong barrel thread for 1911, 57

Post by Capt. Link. »

Jonathansevert wrote:Well, ordered my 1911 barrel. Thought I chose 578x28, received 575x40. Contacted storm lake and thry said I would have to wait a couple months.

I chose the thread to buy a suppressor, but figure the lathe I own should make something fun!

My question is this: why is 578x28 so commonly available for suppressors and nothing in 575x40? First I thought threads are too fine, maybe too many twists. Why is it?
You are correct on both counts.There is little contact area per thread at 40 tpi vs 28 and a bunch of turns would be required.If you are making your own you can use 40 tpi just tighten your tolerances for thread fit and use a hardened steel to allow for wear.If you have the equipment and know how to use it you can learn to make a very fine suppressor right here!
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Jonathansevert

Post by Jonathansevert »

Thank you! So... Using the three wire method, I can get the exact I.D. for threading and use the barrel as myGO/NO-GO?
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

You could put a compensator on it that also acted as a QD attachment point for the suppressor, using a coarser thread ;) .
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Jonathansevert

Post by Jonathansevert »

Where is that!!

Shut up and take my money!

:D
Jonathansevert

Post by Jonathansevert »

For inner diameter, is the formula .575- 1/40? Or am I nuts? I can't remember!!