Derp moment - wrong inserts

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CMV
Silent But Deadly

Derp moment - wrong inserts

Post by CMV »

So I really like my turning tool that uses DCMT 21.52 inserts. So I bought a bunch of DCMT 32.52 inserts for it. Lovely....

If anyone wants to trade for DCMT 21.51 or 21.52 let me know.

I bought 4 boxes. Maybe I should find a tool holder that size.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Re: Derp moment - wrong inserts

Post by CMV »

YAY - another box of 10 showed up today. At least I bought a lifetime supply of the wrong insert :)

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

CMV wrote:YAY - another box of 10 showed up today. At least I bought a lifetime supply of the wrong insert :)
What's the difference between the two.I still need to buy tooling for Ti.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

The 32.52 is bigger. Larger overall & larger center hole. Same shape.

It's a nice insert shape for 60° cutting.

I suck at decoding insert designations (obviously) but am learning from this mistake.

The first part is the overall shape CCMT, DCMT, TNMG, etc. The second part is #/#.#/# but written as ##.## so it's confusing if you don't deal with them all the time. 1st # is overall size, second 2 numbers #.# are the center hole size, & the last number is the radius. Following that are the codes for chip breaker, coating, vendor specific stuff & those parts I really don't understand. Even if I did, I wouldn't know what to use for what.

For what I do - as long as it's the right friggin size - all I care about is the radius. Through trial & error I figured out which ones work best on which material but so far they ALL work on any material - just the wrong ones don't last nearly as long or don't leave as nice a surface finish. Since I'm not really pushing them on my 2hp machine I don't think it much matters if I'm not using the 'best' flavor for that material.

I think you'd have to be an experienced tooling engineer to really understand it all.

CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

What I use vs what I bought:

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

We've all had that sort of Ooops before. At least I have. Sorry I can't help.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

L1A1Rocker wrote:We've all had that sort of Ooops before. At least I have. Sorry I can't help.
I'm the king of Ooops my scrap bin is well stocked.I know we have similar sized machines and that's a big insert.Have you thought of going on the machinist forum you'll have more pro's there with larger machines also 300blk talk our sister site.My life has been so simple with lathe tools 1/4 and 1/2 all I have to decide is percent of cobalt.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

They'll be easy enough to unload on ebay. Just offering up here if anyone needs them. Who knows - I might make $1 selling as a lot when it's all done :)

57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Good luck . . . I've ordered the wrong stuff before, thought I would use it, and then tried to unload it on flea bay. No bidders :mrgreen:
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Buy a tool for it.

On eBay a few years ago, I bought a case quantity of a particular insert for something like $5. Thousands of inserts. I bought a dozen tool holders to fit and sold them w/50 inserts each for big bucks, made a tidy profit.

In your case, I'd just keep them and use them.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

I haven't had luck finding a tool. I *think* that size insert is more for 3/4" tools which are too big for me. At least the insert tool holders I've come across (admittedly with little time spent searching) were larger ones.

Jonathansevert

Post by Jonathansevert »

If it works for 3/4", and you cut me a good deal... I might be interested. I have to find the holder though.