How to ID seamless tubing

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

How to ID seamless tubing

Post by widlin1 »

Last week I bought a band saw from a friend of a friend who is a fabricator/welder and I asked about seamless tubing. They gave me a piece of scrap that they were pretty sure was seamless based on the job it was for. The tubing is 2 inch OD, .065 wall T304/304L. How can I verify that this is seamless? Can anyone decipher the writing on the tube:

UNITED LWT 2 X .065 T304/304L SA249/A249/A269 NDE HT#31230 OP#714/575 01/08/09 15:58

Thanks

Jeff
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: How to ID seamless tubing

Post by widlin1 »

I think by doing some googling that it is welded

Jeff
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

SA-249/A-249 is Standard Specification for Welded Austenitic Steel Boiler, Superheater, Heat-Exchanger, and Condenser Tubes
A-269 is Standard Specification for Seamless and Welded Austenitic Stainless Steel Tubing for General Service

So the tubing is welded.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

Thanks Mongo, I guess I will have to order some seamless.

Jeff
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

What are you using it for? Center fire can? Its should be some pretty good stuff, if I was at work I could look up the specification for you and find out what the inspection level is. If it is inspected with full radiography then it could be considered as good as seamless. Problem is I will not be back to the office until December.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

For all my suppressors, I've gone with solid bar stock, hollowed out.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

You could use mechanical tubing but small sizes hard to find and expensive. solid stock would be way cheaper.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Without the writing on the tube, you can usually ID welded tubing (even if there is no obvious weld present) with a good telescoping bore gauge (cheap). What you do - when the weld takes place, it almost always warps, very slightly, out of round. DOM (non-welded) tubing usually has an ID that is amazingly consistent, regardless of the angle that you place the bore gauge. So place the gauge in the tube in one orientation, like 12:00 to 6:00, and measure. Then, rotate it 90 degrees to 3:00 - 9:00 and re-measure. Welded tubing will have much larger variances depending upon the orientation of the bore gauge, maybe 0.012" in a 1.25" ID, whereas the same tube in quality DOM will be closer to 0.002" regardless of the orientation of the gauge.

Additionally, the interior finish in DOM will almost always be much finer, and the ID consistency end to end will usually be better. That's been my experience. You can make a fine can from welded tubing, but if there's a choice, pop for DOM. When you consider the stamp cost and overall effort, it rarely pays to take short cuts. The DOM is worth it, IMO, at 3X the cost of welded.
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

Mondo, if you remember when you are back in the office I would like to have the specks on the tube. A project at work has been hogging most of my free time so I doubt I will be much farther with my project then I am now. I got the tubing with the intention of using it for my 50 caliber project based on her 458 socom brass necked up or 50 Beowulf brass with a .512 bullet seated in it. I expect to be using approximately 30 grains of powder with a 16 inch barrel.

Thanks for everyone else’s advice as well

Jeff
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

widlin1 wrote:Mondo, if you remember when you are back in the office I would like to have the specks on the tube. A project at work has been hogging most of my free time so I doubt I will be much farther with my project then I am now. I got the tubing with the intention of using it for my 50 caliber project based on her 458 socom brass necked up or 50 Beowulf brass with a .512 bullet seated in it. I expect to be using approximately 30 grains of powder with a 16 inch barrel.

Thanks for everyone else’s advice as well

Jeff
It will be a while until I'm back, hopefully you;ll learn to spell my handle by then :P
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

Thanks sorry about the spelling

Jeff