Turning down an AR-15 Barrel

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

goteron
Silent But Deadly

Turning down an AR-15 Barrel

Post by goteron »

So, I am looking to save some weight one of my guns. Is it safe to turn down an AR-15 barrel. I know they sell Lightweight barrels, and I could just buy one, but why? What profile could I safety turn down my barrel to? Are the lightweight barrels formed differently? Any ideas, suggestions?
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Re: Turning down an AR-15 Barrel

Post by Jmark »

Sell the one you have and buy what you want. There is so much out there I wouldn't spend the money on having one turned down unless you can do it yourself or have a friend with a lathe.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

See below
Last edited by goteron on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I have a lathe and can do it myself. its an ACR barrel, so no luck on getting a lightweight one yet without making an adapter and spending more money.

From research it looks like I can turn down the Gov Profile barrel this spec... Any reason why this is a bad idea?

http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/lw.shtml

And then .6 in front of the gas block with a flare for the thread shoulder back to gov profile spec.
mscott
Silent Operator

Post by mscott »

Go ahead and do it. I had ADCO cut my 3 gun barrel down to the gvmt profile and like it a lot better. Turning it down had no effect on accuracy.
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

I took a sec and pulled some rough dims off my colt lw barrel for you.

The profile diameter goes down to .570 in front of the gas block and then flares out again to .610 to meet the crush washer.

Another idea I've been playing around with for one of my own barrels is fluting the .750 gas block journal to reduce weight.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Gunsmith, thanks so much for the help. I'm going to profile just like that. Any issues you see with that??? Thanks again!

Can I go down to .625 behind the GB?
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

If you can cut a taper with your lathe I'd suggest mimicking the Colt spec. If you can't, you can always induce a taper by offsetting your tailstock and turning between centers. However if you change the .668 to a .625 you're only changing your wall thickness by .021 leaving a .2005 wall, which should be safe; I've heard of people going as low as .600 near the throat. Definitely consider fluting the gas block journal as you'll be removing a substantial amount of material. Just stop the flutes where there are pins and at the gas port and you'll be golden. Let us all know what weight you get the barrel down to!
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Gunsmith, I put it all in CAD, By going to a lighweight barrel, I am only saving about 4 ounces... If I flute the journal, I get another ounce. Granted thats all weight up front, but I was hoping for something more substantial. I am doing something wrong here?
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

No you're not doing anything wrong and this is the problem that the ACR team is encountering right now. That being said, honestly I can't tell you if you're going to notice the difference of a 1/3 of a lb up front on your particular gun. Seeing as an ACR is relatively muzzle heavy, it very well might make a big difference in how it handles.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Instead of trying to retrofit an AR-15 barrel, I decided to reprofile mine. I have a crappy lathe and am and even worse machinist.

Starting weight of barrel alone was 24.9 ounces, after the weight reduction it was 22.1. Not as much as I had hoped.

Keep in mind I already lost 2-3 ounces by chopping from 16.5 to 14.5

Some other weights

Gasblock - 3.75
Piston system - 4.55
Barrel nut - 2.4

The gasport size as best as I can tell is .052

So, in total I've lost 5-6 ounces out front, the CG of the barrel is further back. It shouldnt affect accuracy or reliability.

I am going to shave another few ounces by mounting my 620v directly to the rail and have a few other ideas as well.

Does anyone know the weight of a factory 14.5" lightweight?

I could probably get another .5 ounce if I really tried, but my lathe sucks, so it's slow going.