P22 barrel nut

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

glycerine

P22 barrel nut

Post by glycerine »

I don't have a lathe, so I need to attach my can with a nut or union. Problem is I can't find a thick enough nut with the right threads for the thread adaptor. 1/2 x 28 tpi is not a common size I've discovered. No hardware or automotive stores have it. I've searched the forum but couldn't find any info on it. Where do I get one?
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Re: P22 barrel nut

Post by ghostdog662 »

Just google walther p22 1/2x28 adapter. There are a lot of resellers.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS057-1.html is one.
LP
glycerine

Post by glycerine »

No, no......I've got the adaptor. I'm making a can (actually already made) and need a way to mount it to the adaptor. Thought about buying a fake suppressor, cutting the end off of it and attaching it to mine, but that seemed a bit pricey.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

McMaster-Carr has 1/2x28 taps if you need to add threads.

Part # 2521A422

http://www.mcmaster.com/#2521a422/=9f2rug

The problem is getting it straight with the rest of the can. Even threading with a tap on the tailstock on a lathe is not as good as a threads you can cut yourself.
LP
glycerine

Post by glycerine »

I'm beginning to think that there is no such animal as a 1/2x28 nut unless you make it yourself. Suppose I'll call my local machine shop and price one.
hushhush

Post by hushhush »

You can do this with a tap. Tap an oversize piece of metal, then use the p22 adapter as a mandrel to turn the piece down to the size you need. I would also bet an industrial screw supplier can get you a nut or even better a threaded rod coupling in the right size.

edit: Spike's sells 1/2 28 a2 flash hiders for 10 bucks, can't get much cheaper.