Finally spent some time and drew out my design.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Finally spent some time and drew out my design.

Post by pneumagger »

All I have to do now is send in my form 1 and round up materials.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... 4tcG&hl=en

I decided not to use a typical Bill of Materials and just noted materials on the front assembly. It's an A size sheet and BOMs are a waste of time for a 1 off project. Also, I think the gtol callout for runout on page 3 is incorrect, but it's obvious what I'm trying to say. I'm pretty sure when calling out a runout gtol, you have to reference a pair of simulated datums (ie, between centers). Also, there's a few grooves for orings in the drawing, but the drawing isn't calling out any of the soft parts like that.
Last edited by pneumagger on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally spent some time and drew out my design.

Post by Wicked »

Very nice. My CAD-Fu is not so good.

Rare to see 'real' prints that those who are interested could actually work from and build a can.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Got a "geek speak" to English translation on that?
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

garandman wrote:Got a "geek speak" to English translation on that?
Google: Third Angle Projection, Geometric Tolerencing, Basic Dimensioning, Datums, and Reference Dimensions

The rest is self explanatory.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

pneumagger wrote: Google: Third Angle Projection, Geometric Tolerencing, Basic Dimensioning, Datums, and Reference Dimensions

The rest is self explanatory.

nice...
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

Beautiful! I'm looking forward to (not) hearing how well this works. When do you plan to start building?
James DeGroat
Elite Industry Professional

Post by James DeGroat »

Nice drawings
James DeGroat
President
DeGroat Tactical Armaments, LLC.
www.ArmamentSales.com

Specializing in the 7.62mm Minigun, Suppressors, and NFA Weapons/Accessories (including Artillery and Flame Throwers).
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Nice set of prints!

Side note......you do know that Autozone doesn't care those freeze plugs anymore right?

-B
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Jimmy_Jr wrote:Beautiful! I'm looking forward to (not) hearing how well this works. When do you plan to start building?
well, the can is for my max11 9mm/22lr...
Richard emailed me about a month ago that my number was up and it was shipping in two weeks. someday soon, It should be ready. Once I get through christmas and see the damage to myf funds I'll try to scrounge up $200. I hope to have the form 1 submitted before 2011.

If those freeze plugs are not @ autozone anymore, I'll have to order direct from Dorman or find another source maybe. It was on thier website as a product. ??
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

I did try (without success ) to find a thread that i read a long time ago
it was on a Swiss silencer forum
they had made a can with a spring like you are planing on

the baffles did move , but they did like that , they got better acuracy that way
but the long hole in the blast baffle might give you problems if it not goes fully back again ,then it will cant

think on how a pulse jet works , its the same , the gas moves out the front so fast it sucks a vacuum behind it , in a pulse jet this vacuum opens a valve and lets new air and fuel in

in you can this will not happen , the air changes direction , the spring is forced back

did you read the thread about a can with a big muzzle flash , seams it was sucking air in at the mount , then making a bigger flash than if no air could get in

making a surport on both ends of the blast baffle ,would prevent it from canting
just make the muzzle nearest part with holes in it
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

pneumagger wrote:
Jimmy_Jr wrote:Beautiful! I'm looking forward to (not) hearing how well this works. When do you plan to start building?
well, the can is for my max11 9mm/22lr...
Richard emailed me about a month ago that my number was up and it was shipping in two weeks. someday soon, It should be ready. Once I get through christmas and see the damage to myf funds I'll try to scrounge up $200. I hope to have the form 1 submitted before 2011.

If those freeze plugs are not @ autozone anymore, I'll have to order direct from Dorman or find another source maybe. It was on thier website as a product. ??
You will have to order them from Dorman, it is on the Autozone website but they are listed as NOT AVAILABLE. Doesn't make sense why they are not removing the parts but the same FP's are available from Dorman. They can't even order them in their system!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

-B
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I will be watching this thread with great interest pnuemagger so if you don't mind, please keep me updated. I think your design is going to be quiet, especially on the 9mm.

I have one of the Max 10/9 Lage uppers. It is awesome and I think you'll love it! I also have one of Practical Solutions 22 uppers, but I think I would rather have a Lage 22 upper, but he doesn't make them for the 10's.

But I am holding my breath that he'll make a Max31 upper for the M10's that will be chambered for 7.62x25 and use Ppsh drums. That would be the cats' meow. :mrgreen:
I don't care what your chart says
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I believe those freeze plugs are carried by O'reilly's Auto Parts. If you have one nearby you might want to check.
Very nice CAD drawing. Be sure to tell us how well it worked.