Need another monocore design...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rdg

Need another monocore design...

Post by rdg »

I just built the above. Not ultra quiet. And rather too long.

I have another bored round bar:

I need another design. Goals:
1) I wanna keep it short. the baffles should be around 4" only.
2) low blowback. need to fire hypervelocity cci stinger/velocitors without crap hitting my face from the ejection port

Any ideas? thanks!
jfk
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Need another monocore design...

Post by jfk »

Instead of off setting the holes on the same plane, how about drilling them 90 degrees off so the holes stagger. In therory, the gases would go over and under and side to side when it reaches the next chamber.

Think of it as a person on a bike riding over a set of small bumps. As long as the bumps are consistent, the rider just goes over the bumps and continue. If you throw in a set of pylons and have to steer around them as well as up and down, the rider (or in this case, escaping gases) have to do more manuevering to continue forward.
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

Not ultra quiet with subsonic or standard velocity .22's? Looks like it would do the job really well too me.
dvanncvann
Silent But Deadly

Post by dvanncvann »

Make the chambers heart shaped at the top. It creates a swirll effect in the chamber.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end......
Freshman

Post by Freshman »

In your build thread, you said you made the bore .265" for a .22 cal pistol. 40 thousandths is quite a bit of clearance, and I think it could be playing a bit part in how well it works. I only have experience making one muzzle brake for a .223, but it was bored .228" (only 5 thousandths clearance) and worked just fine with no strikes. Try going a little narrower.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

How about something like this;
http://imgur.com/9CIK3.jpg
rdg

Post by rdg »

SRM wrote:How about something like this;

looks interesting

anyone tried it already?
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

rdg wrote:
SRM wrote:How about something like this;

looks interesting

anyone tried it already?
I came up with that this summer and haven`t tried it.
Thats a Liberty style blast chamber, kindof.
I`m still refining ths blast chamber in my head. You`ll want some bracing for the baffles if you try it.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Looks like the one I made... I think I'm getting performance because the core OD is not a tight fit in the tube. I also skipped the blast chamber entirely. By creating void space between the core and tube, there is definitely some variety of gas flow that is going to be different. Plus, the core falls out of the tube for cleaning.

Before you give up, can you turn down the OD of the core further? By leaving front and rear at the current diameter, it'll remain centered in the tube. And it can be removed a bit easier.

Can you cut off the blast chamber, shorten the tube?
rdg

Post by rdg »

Baffled wrote:Looks like the one I made... I think I'm getting performance because the core OD is not a tight fit in the tube. I also skipped the blast chamber entirely. By creating void space between the core and tube, there is definitely some variety of gas flow that is going to be different. Plus, the core falls out of the tube for cleaning.

Before you give up, can you turn down the OD of the core further? By leaving front and rear at the current diameter, it'll remain centered in the tube. And it can be removed a bit easier.

will try a larger tube instead with spacer tube (original tube) at front and back

will report here the results

thanks
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

rdg wrote:
Baffled wrote:Looks like the one I made... I think I'm getting performance because the core OD is not a tight fit in the tube. I also skipped the blast chamber entirely. By creating void space between the core and tube, there is definitely some variety of gas flow that is going to be different. Plus, the core falls out of the tube for cleaning.

will try a larger tube instead with spacer tube (original tube) at front and back

thanks
I think your problem is the opposite. I think you need to make this thing shorter around the blast chamber end. It looks too big. I'd take 2 inches off of the blast chamber end, leaving only the secondary blast chamber. That'll make your suppressor about 6" long x 1" OD, right, down from the current 8" X 1" OD.

This is my advice.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
rdg

Post by rdg »

LavaRed wrote:
rdg wrote:

thanks
I think your problem is the opposite. I think you need to make this thing shorter around the blast chamber end. It looks too big. I'd take 2 inches off of the blast chamber end, leaving only the secondary blast chamber. That'll make your suppressor about 6" long x 1" OD, right, down from the current 8" X 1" OD.

This is my advice.

hi! Baffled suggested i turn down the core to get a bit of clearance between the outer tube so i suggested to use a larger diameter outer tube instead to get the same effect
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

So long as it remains concentric, that would work as well. I was also advocating chopping the blast chamber to shorten it a bit.

Mine has no blast chamber, and the first baffle is not concentric. I have no problems with assymetry at the muzzle causing inaccuracy. I'm using a .250" bore as well.
JonahJls
Silent Operator

Post by JonahJls »

Have you tried other designs on this particular host? Maybe your host is loud
Suppressors make everything new and fun all over again. Its like adding a turbo or supercharger to a car or implants to a hot chick! LOL-Buzduk