Walther P22 Silencer

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bfd811

Walther P22 Silencer

Post by bfd811 »

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, Ive never made a silencer but I'd like to learn how to. What are the laws surrounding building silencers for recreational use? Ive got a Walther P22 and a Mossberg 702 Plinkster I'd be interested in building silencers for. From what I've seen so far some guns have a threaded barrel already, like the P22, and some you have to drill and tap (Mossberg). I've seen a part on Gunbroker.com that is the cap at the beginning of the silencer that threads into the barrel for the P22. I'm guessing with this, some metal and a milling machine you could construct a silencer for this gun. I'm wondering what I need to legally do to get started and also If plans are available of If I will have to design my own. These guns will be used just for my personal enjoyment so I'll probably want to go the easiest and cheapest route (been looking at K-baffles)

Any and all help is appreciated,
Ben
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Walther P22 Silencer

Post by Bowen1911 »

its hard to make one that is quality by many peoples standards without a Lathe
You need to fill out 2 form 1's, a certificate of citizenship, and fingerprint cards if done as an individual.
pay 200
wait for a while
machine away

A simple monocore would be easier to machine than K's

and i would not recommend using a die to thread the barrel on the mossberg. Either send it to a gun smith, or single point thread on a lathe if you have one.

here is mine I made on a p22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK1Ew_BxkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn ... re=related

That being said, it might be easier and safer to buy one.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
bfd811

Post by bfd811 »

I'm really looking in to building one for my P22, ill look about the mossberg later. Where would I be able to find plans for a p22 silencer? If I dont have access to a lathe what would be the next best silencer to make say I had access to CNC equipment?
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Well without a 4 axis CNC, you need a lathe.

people have pictures online here. read a few pages back
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

The 'Search' function is your friend. Read 'til your eyes bleed, then read some more. :mrgreen:
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

If you wanted really basic and don't have the machinery, you can always make a cone baffle suppressor. Basically mashing a washer in a vice with a marble in the center and a tube on the outside to make a cone, and then make spacers either out of a little smaller tube than your outer tube, or washers that would go between your cones like so <|<|<|

there are some threads on here about this kind of design; it is very simple and seems to be effective for a .22
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

IIRC The Form 1's that I get from the ATF are 3 piece forms with 2 Form 1's on them. When I'm running short I just go online and order them from them. I Just ordered another 5 yesterday. I also get their fingerprint cards as well. Need 2 for each pair of Form 1's. Never hurts to have extras either. My wife thinks that something is up. Me thinks 9mm SBR with a new can to go on it. And possibly a 50BMG can. That's the one that worries her the most. Any way...

To build one you pretty much need a lathe. Anything else with the exception of an integral will probably not meet your expectations. For a .22 you are best off buying one from a reputable dealer.

If you do decide to build like many of us here have done. You need. A lathe. Generally not some Harbor Freight toy. But a LATHE... My first was an Atlas 12"x36" desktop that I picked up for $625.00. It had a small bore. Too small to do too much so it was sold. My next lathe was a 1 ton Hendey 12"x32" with a 1 5/8" bore. It is the kind of machine that can catch you by the sleeve and pull you through until parts of you are no longer recognizable. The lathe with a nice 9"x42" mill ran me $2,200.00. I got a pretty sweet deal. Buy the biggest that you can move and can afford.

Then comes tooling. Between cutters, holders, indicators, micrometers, etc... you will spend probably as much as you spent on the lathe. To do good work takes good tools. To maintain good accuracy takes good tools. To avoid a lot of frustration takes good tools. You get the idea. that doesn't mean that some hacked together can won't work, but durability is the key and making spare or replacement parts is not an option.

Welcome and ask away.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.